New player feedback: co-op is great but enemies need at least 2x health on all difficulties

I just started playing GD with 3 friends and we’re having a blast. We finished vanilla on Veteran and started out on Elite, then got AoM and FG and went back to Veteran to complete those campaigns. 3 of us are experienced ARPG players and 1 is not. We have no ‘end-game’ gear, few components and recipes for crafting, and no shared stash full of loot from other characters.

Enemies do enough damage to kill us if we’re lazy, but the reality is that most of them just evaporate before they even have a chance to swing/shoot at us. This is even true of heros and bosses - there have only been perhaps 3 enemies in the entire Veteran playthrough that have lived more than 10 seconds.

We are not over-levelled, we’re blitzing through the game so fast that enemies are currently 2-8 levels higher than us. I just think enemies need double or triple the HP. I get that Elite and Ultimate are a lot harder, but we started out on Elite and we’re still annihilating everything in our path.

I’ve looked for a mod that can massively increase enemy HP but the options are pretty limited and most of them mess with other aspects of the game, which I don’t really want to do. I’ve seen a lot of other comments about co-op being too easy and just wanted to add my voice to that crowd.

Many thanks for the great game!

I take the point that endgame (Ultimate) is much more challenging, I just find it odd that even on Veteran and Elite the game is absolutely trivial in difficulty. In my opinion (and reasonable minds may differ) people shouldn’t have to play the entire game twice before there is any semblance of a challenge. This is not how other games do NG/NG+ etc in my experience.

This is only a comment on co-op scaling by the way, it’s probably different in single player.

The difficulty is balanced around single player and not multiplayer, hence why it’s so easy. There has been extensive discussions about increasing the difficulty in multiplayer by upping stuff like enemies’s health, but the devs are against it because a lot of people that currently enjoy playing multiplayer would hate if enemies would get more health.

And really, you need to increase health much more than just double to increase the difficulty. And again, people that like multiplayer just to relax and kill stuff with friends would hate the sudden spike of difficulty.

Your only option is to use the mod that increases the multiplayer difficulty.

After reaching FG dlc in Ultimate difficulty you can buy merit for unlocking all difficulties for other characters. You can do fresh start with your friend on Ultimate then.

1 Like

We have a Warder, a Witch Hunter, a Blademaster and an Arcanist/Shaman (can’t remember what it’s called). They’re not based on detailed build guides or anything, but we all know how to create synergies so e.g. I have 22/12 Dreeg’s Evil Eye with all the augmenting skills and it just melts everything it touches.

As said, the game is balanced around single play so multiplay is going to be easier. There is this mod which increases difficulty for multiplayers

and as AlkamosHater said once you reach the Forgotten Gods content in Ultimate you can buy Merit tokens to allow you to skip low level characters up to Ultimate and start the game there which is much harder anyway.

2 Likes

or GDStash the merits :wink:

Yeah. It isn’t going to happen. Multiplayer is well known to be much easier, and changing it would probably upset a lot of people (I think most don’t really care that much). The enhanced multiplayer mod is a good mod, what were your objections to using it?

I’m going to use the enhanced difficulty mod, I was only a bit reluctant because I have to get 3 other people to muck around with their save files without screwing something up :stuck_out_tongue:

I see your point but I also know that some people team up in coop especially because the game becomes easier. It makes farming stuff a breeze and opens up the possibility of doing harder stuff you might just can’t do alone.

Since you have a 4 people party I’d suggest you rush through the game and start pushing Shattered Realm on Ultimate. It basically scales infinitely and the rewards are worth it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The tool GD stash should make it very easy to use the mod. Just select/de-select the in-mod tick box on the character editor. It isn’t very difficult to copy and paste char file into the other folder though.

Definitely worth getting used to mods and tools if you want to play with these kinds of adjustments, it is the only way.

Ahh, I’m having trouble getting the character to show up in the custom game character list. I tried pasting the save folder for the main game character into the mod folder where a new ‘Test’ folder appeared on new character creation, but it didn’t work. Now I’ve tried ticking the ‘In mod’ button for the relevant character in GD Stash but it’s still not showing up.

Is there some guidance about how to get this working somewhere? I have cloud save turned off in both Steam and GD itself.

This is where mod characters go…

You need to create the folder if it doesn’t exist. Normally it will autocreate once you create a mod character in game but since you didn’t do that you will need to do so now.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. That folder did exist because I created a test character in the custom game to generate any files it needed. I tried the GD Stash ‘In mod’ button against after rebooting my PC and it worked, must have stuffed something up with my meddling earlier.

All good now!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.