New Player Here

Hi guys, I recently bought Grim Dawn (a few hours ago) and I don’t know which class to choose between Arcanist & Shaman.

Which one is better solo ? And which mastery should i choose ?

Also keep in mind this is my first time playing Grim Dawn and would love some beginner builds for those two classes.

Thanks.

1 Like

Welcome to the game and to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

GD works as a two masteries make a class so Shaman/Arcanist will make a Druid as a class. You choose one mastery at L2 and the second at L10 or later, depending on how you want to play.

You’ll find some beginner builds here

1 Like

Welcome in Cairn

Also, can one play for example a pure Shaman ? Or do you really need two classes ?

In the beginning of the game is usually good strategy to focus around one class/one main attacking skill.

But at level 40 or 50 it’s vital to use mastery points from second class.Also difficulty increases and you start to need the skills from the second class.So Shaman only is not sound option.

You can pair it with different classes.I recommend Inquisitor. :slight_smile:

You can, but you need a good knowledge of the game to succeed at it plus good gear to use. You miss out on a lot of attribute bonuses by not taking a second mastery.

You can but it is always helpful to pick a second class. You get lots of stats and synergy skills.

We have one documented Shaman build from last September. Having said that, GD’s default is to play with a dual-class build.

Hey man, I just bought the game about an hour ago myself. Started playing Hardcore so if you’re playing Hardcore too then maybe we could play together some time!

I’m getting it, building a new PC, and want a good ARPG. I played Barb and Ranger classes in Diablo, what classes should I go with in GD?

1 Like

If you want to simulate those 2 classes id go Warder (Shaman/Soldier) for a 2h barbarian type experience. Warlord (Oathkeeper/Soldier) works too.

For Ranger? (Amazon? Demon Hunter? Druid?) Id experiment with the combinations between the Ranged combat specialties like Inquisitor and Demo, and Shaman/Occultist

1 Like

Also, welcome!

I have never played any Diablo game, so maybe Knife has the better answer… or just see how flexible GD’s dual mastery system is:

• Barbarian: Oathkeeper has Eye of Reckoning (the whirlwind skill, but it requires the Forgotten Gods expansion); mix that either with Shaman (for twohander) or Nightblade (for dual-wielding)
  • Ranger: any dual-class can be played with ranged weapons, but you probably want Inquistor (requires the Ashes of Malmouth expansion) for its native support of ranged combat; pairing it with Demolitionist is a solid choice, but not mandatory