New Player Knowledge Compendium

Thank you :smiley:

So lets say I learn new blue prints on my 1st character, will I be able to craft them and then send it to my alt?

So far I have been stashing blues in my transfer stash for my future alts, any other things I should consider stashing?

Blueprints, once learned on any character, will be accessible at the Blacksmith on all new characters. So you can craft them on the new character or on your first one and put in shared stash for your alt (either way).

I started by stashing items for alts in shared stash, and putting components/potions in my character stash. However, I’m transitioning to putting components in a shared stash tab so that I don’t have to log on to a specific character to get the mats I need to craft stuff.

I would consider keeping a few Troll Bonecrushers in your stash (one of the items needed for some crafted relics), so that you don’t need to go farm these when you want to craft something. They’re a big two-handed mace that trolls drop, particularly in the East Marsh (have to dynamite the entrance southeast of Burrwitch Village).

The other thing you want to have in your stash for each individual character is a stock of Revered level augments from the opposite Kymon/Order faction you chose on Elite vs what you’re going to use on Ultimate. So if you go with Kymon on Ultimate, get Revered with Order on Elite, get 10 or so of each augment they offer (in case you need them/decide to change your build/etc.).

So mostly: crafting materials, items for alts (both leveling as well as end game gear you acquire for another build you want to try), potions, Kymon/Order augments.

Added expansion content. I don’t yet have experience leveling a Necromancer or primarily as an Inquisitor (besides getting Word of Renewal to complete Soldier), so if anyone with experience has suggestions on decent leveling abilities different than I posted, let me know.

I’m actually leveling a Forcewave Tactician currently, self found, and so far it’s been completely fine. Only just about to hit Elite, though, so I can keep you posted. It will work OK with greens, you just won’t be able to do Gladiator (that’s true of any build really) until you get the legendaries you’re looking for. Of course, you can start farming in Challenger, and that will still net you a decent haul. Tankiness should be fine, you just need the top legendaries to buff your damage.

I don’t have experience with Death Knight, yet, so I’ll leave that to someone else to answer. My understanding is that it doesn’t have the best itemization, but can be good. Soldier will pretty much always guarantee you have decent survivability. The damage may or may not be there on Ultimate without the gear though.

EDIT: In the Forcewave Tactician thread, temjiu has a good post with alternate build for more damage prior to getting the Octavius set. See this post.

Noob here playing through for the first time. I prefer playing a melee style with high damage output. What is the most noob friendly build that would fit this play style?

‘Act 2: The Lost Elder - return talisman for more rep and iron; if you keep it, you’ll get a rare amulet

You get a relic on each difficulty only obtainable through this quest, not an amulet. :slight_smile:

Thank you, Kentvb. Good catch. Fixed.

Check the Build Compendium (both V and VI) for any build with Soldier as one of the masteries. Some of them are dual-wielding builds while others are sword&board builds, but most melee builds listed there have pretty high damage output and not every build requires the gear they list.

For instance, if the build revolves around fire and lightning damage, you don’t need level 94 legendary pieces for the build to work. Just look for gear that adds fire and lightning damage which compliments your skills and you should be fine.

Compendium V: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48165
Compendium VI: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56486

Reached level 47 now =) I’ve been focusing on quests and now I think im in the expansion on vet, have some questions on my mind.

1. I haven’t done any bounties so far, when should I start doing them? Or should I have done them earlier? Is it too late now?

2. When can I start Elite mode?

3. Should I continue with the expansion or switch to elite?

4. What do you suggest I should do?

regards.

1. don’t do bounties until in late elite or ultimate. You really need those resist augments only in ultimate.

2. after killing loghorrean (last boss of the vanilla content)

3. you should finish the expansion to unlock those factions so you start gaining factions rep for some of them even when playing vanilla content in elite. You should be about lvl 60 when you are done with the expansion content.

4. just keep playing the game and having fun

Thanks! :smiley:

1. you should finish the expansion to unlock those factions so you start gaining factions rep for some of them even when playing vanilla content in elite. You should be about lvl 60 when you are done with the expansion content.

Do I need to complete the entire expansion? It seems I have unlocked some of factions like Coven of Ugdenbog and Barrowholm. Is this enough to start Elite or is there more?

Thank you so much for this compendium ! Helped me a lot when I started the game.

No, in theory, you don’t need to do the expansion at all to move on. Since the expansion has harder enemies and requires a tankier build/gear, many skip the expansion until Ultimate when they’re geared up and in final build. However, like Kekkuli said, unlocking the factions is a good idea, so you can build rep as you go along. Expansion factions are:

Coven of Ugdenbog
Barrowholm
Malmouth Resistance
Aetherial Vanguard (unfriendly)

The last two are only in the final act and you only get rep (positive or negative towards Nemesis) within that act, so you can skip them until you’re ready to take on expansion content.

No problem! Thanks for posting and I’m glad it was helpful.

Wow. Good to find this thread. That’s seriously all info in one place…

Look up the brimstone gunslinger (cant link yet but trust me) This is the first build I used and it got me through all the way to Ultimate. Simple and easy build to follow for beginners who want to do things gunslinger style.

Excellent guide.

Just for reference, though in Act 5 A Witches’ Bargain, you get access to Ravager if you befriend Scorv and Barrowholm, and the Nemesis if you attack them. The two ubers (Ravager and Nemesis) are either/or, depending on which way you align yourself.

Ah, good catch, CainMaris. I haven’t had the time to finish out the expansion content yet (almost done with Act 6, then started a new character), so that was my own misunderstanding on how things worked. I’ll fix it. Thank you.

@Zachshadrack, I’ll look it up, thanks. Been leveling/testing out Nightmare’s Vitality Cabalist build that is built for end game with just faction gear. Assuming testing goes well (so far it’s been perfect), will publish a thorough leveling guide, since it seems pretty perfect for new players.

@Kycoo, glad you enjoyed it. :smiley:

Like I mentioned previously, Nightmare’s Cabalist is really good without needing literally ANY farmed gear. I posted a quick leveling guide for that here. I’m currently level 89, starting out in Ultimate, after completing literally every quest/challenge dungeon/etc. on Veteran and Elite. Only real problem was getting wrecked by Kubacabra over and over again (did kill him though!), but he’s a pain for most anyway. Other than that, almost no deaths and haven’t run into any walls (except Mad Queen on Elite that I tried early on; was easy on Veteran but on Elite she kept leeching to full life even with me kiting).

For elemental based, I don’t know of any guide, but you can make most things work into mid-Elite if you’re specced properly. JoV’s Meteor build would probably work (obviously better with specific gear, but just focus on the general stats he mentions and it should be OK in Elite).