New Project: A Modding Site Overhaul

Welcome to the revolution…

I have started a new modding site project (https://www.kirmiziperfect.com) because i was never content with Nexus or Moddb and how they do the things. Years ago, I was modding Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV it was hell for me to find what i want and understand which mods to install. So, I’ve created a new modding site and collect all the mods with in one place with a mindset of completeness.

So what is this completeness i mention?
It includes, rewriting the html of the text part of the mods, emphasizing important parts buy parting them from the lot, coloring them, typo and grammar corrections, adding notes if the explanation is too vague, repackaging the mod archives for smaller and faster downloads and for better and for a standard naming scheme, downloading all images and upload them to my server for protecting them also renaming them too for better seo and for user to understand what happens in image, categorizing them both on the file system and on the site category system. Doing all while protecting the mod’s core explanations of course. Then present them in a beatiful way. After doing all writing a modding guide (like best visual mods for this game and installation order of it), or best gameplay mods to help the users to find what they need. To install Texturen Mod for Witcher or not. There is a new better mod but Texturen (the old visual mod) has great FX files. So notfiying users for this. And re-packaging the Texturen mod for Texturen-Complete and Texturen-FX). Also looking for Readme’s and other parts for any other useful information about the mod. Collecting all the manuals and guides to one centralized place for user to reach and see them easily. When they look for a mod they will have all the information about it, designed to read and understand in a very fluid way. Plus all the other mods for that game. He/she will have the complete package.

Then there is a problem some mods of the same game are on Moddb and some are on Nexus or some are on forums or even file sharing sites.
Gathering them in one place so the user who wants to mod the game have a better picture infront of person who wants to know is interested about the said game’s mods. Recently i’ve replayed Witcher 1 and looked only the mods on Nexus and later i realized i’ve missed some of the very good mods because some of them were on ModDB and some of them were on forums. On top that some mods was missing, disappeared from Internet, nowhere to be found, finding the files and explanations from the people still have them is a task i do too.

So who are you?
I am a backend web developer and a Linux system admin. Also an old gamer. Mostly loving old rpg games but playing nearly every genre.

Is this an amateur project?
No, not at all. Given my profession i am able create a professional place. Site uses latest web technologies, all best web practices, seperate fast download servers, a seperate email server, a CDN for images, good and very clean web design and have a great SSL certificate with a grade of A++ from the start unlike the Nexus or ModDB.

How much time do you dedicate to the site?
Working everyday (except for weekends, need to give some time for my wife too) for site at least 8-10 hours for making the perfect pages for mods.

How are you financing this? Do you gain money from the site?
No, nothing. I have no ads and paying everything from my pocket. All this server costs, paid softwares for the site, my dedicated full time.
Though at some point i have to think about myself and find a way to at least to cover my expenses.

What games you have now?
I have already completed all mods for:
Witcher 1,
Grim Dawn,
Old Titan Quest (when the titanquest.net site down,tons of users used KP for TQ needs)
New Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition, (before my site the mods were only Steam Workshop, so GOG users couldn’t be able to download them)
Sacred 2,
Torchlight,
Diablo II,
Mount & Blade is growing very fast and received very positive feedback from
community.

Other big mods that have been given permission and will be covered soon:
https://sureai.net/ team. Makers of the biggest total conversion mod for Oblivion the Nehrim mod.
Salan - Biggest mod for Torchlight 2 Synergies Mod - Released

Can we upload our files? Can we manage our mod pages or create new ones?
Yes of course you can do that easily. Just register and let me know that you are modder. It is very easy to use admin side of the site.

What are challenges you are facing?
For technical side of this:
There are a lot of things to do. I am only one to manage many servers and the site software plus the contents. I always trying to find better ways to make site much better so sometimes i even change the whole pages on the site from scratch. And apart from the regular server updates and maintenance, sometimes i have to change some deep-rooted things. The recent affairs:
I wasn’t content with the file server i was using and last month i decided to change it. Transporting all the files was not hard but linking all the mods to their new locations really took its time.
For mail server it is another adventure. First i was using my main server as a mail server too. Then i realized it will not work with the service a i was planning to use. So i switched to an email provider Zoho.
After opening registration for the site first time i discovered that Zoho mail blocked my outgoing mails after 10 mail without a reason. Wrote them 3 emails, wrote to their forums but there were no answer.
I snapped and bought a new server, installed the OS, configured it and installed my mail server from scratch. After that i mailed to every user one by one that had problems with the mail. And 1 week later Zoho emailed me that they are apologising and it was i mistake. But i had already suffered because of them and abondoned them. Don’t use Zoho mail guys. Never.

For content side:
I have to contact every mod author out there individually and ask their permisson. So that is another work too. I can work on the site without sleeping if need be but of course i need permissons.

A case study: Witcher 1
I recently completed Witcher 1 games. A total of 104 mods. Took me about 1 month to complete it. And for the first time the all Witcher 1 mods are in one place plus great disappeared mods restored from the void of the Internet like Full Combat Rebalance, Flash Mod, Scabbard Mod etc. All PDF manuls changed into the HTML (some of them took 4000 lines!) for easy online reading. You won’t see a better place to inspect Witcher 1 mods ever. Now i will write a guide for the best mods and essential mods to install.

Why would we want use it?
Why not? The site has the best appereance in all of the modding sites. It has a very clean interface without any clutter. Has fast downloads. It is constantly improving for better. Most importantly the mods are looking best with all of the improvements done to them! And it has a hard-working and dedicated man behind it.

You can not find any site working for the mods that much.

What about other languages beside English?
The site supports multi-languages from the beginning. So if you have mods in other languages just let me know i will set it for your language too. And if they have translations to other languages, the users can just click for their language and the page will turn to their language.

What does the name means?
I wanted the name something original but connected with games also.
Kırmızı Perfect name dates back to our chilhood with arcade machines. The children playing there created their own jargon in gaming. When you beat someone without a scratch in fighthing games like Street Fighter you get “Perfect”, but if you managed to do it when you have only one-hit HP left then you would get “Kırmızı Perfect”. Kırmızı means “red” in Turkish. “Red Perfect”. Your HP bar is full of red and you get to win. Thus “Kırmızı Perfect”. Here is some screenshots:
Normal Perfect:

Kırmızı Perfect:

How can i support the project?
I have really a tremendous task ahead of me but I won’t rest until making this site a great place. It would be great if you let me share and host your mods for Mount & Blade and even greater if you share
the link on your forum page and Steam page. Then just watch the show. You will then see what i am capable of.

Contact
https://twitter.com/kirmiziperfect
https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/
[email protected]

New Features for Grim Dawn mods:

First of all i reworked all the layout of the all Grim Dawn mods. It is still conveying all the information about the while having a minimalistic and neat view. Check it out.
URL structure has been changed. All previous links are automatically redirected to new ones. Now it is for all GD mods:
https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/grim-dawn-mods/

And for a singular mod like Eternal:
https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/grim-dawn-mods/eternal/

Gallery feature:

This was a long time needed feature at last I have integrated a very good gallery to the site with a lot of features. Just upload your images and gallery will be created automatically. It supports zooming and you can easily change a lot of things. Like images numbers in one row, size of the thumbnails and many many other things. In top of keyboard “right” and “left” arrows for navigation you can use mouse swipes which is far more easier than anything.

Directory support for your images
Directory and sub-directory support for mod images…Create your mod directory like “Eternal” and put sub-folders in it. Like “Weapons”, “New Enemies” etc… This makes them all tidy and organized and also an easy way to create your galleries, you can then quickly create seperate galleries from that directories. See the attachment.

Short info about mod:
You will able to fill extra information about your mod and that will be shown on the beginning of mod page. That way user will see quickly what type of mod is this and if the mod is working with the patch she is using. Like this:

1257 AD HEART OF EUROPE
Mode: Singleplayer
Game Version: 1.154+
Type: Historical, Total Conversion
Language: EN

Advanced Filtering
According to this new values you can easily filter all Grim Dawn mods. By language support, by game version or mod type. Look at the attachment or this link for seeing the filtering in action:
https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/mount-blade-warband-mods/

Similar Mods
According to the “Type” value(s) you enter similar Grim Dawn mods will be listed below. Thus user can easily see the mod types he/she likes.

Star Based Rating System
Give 5 star to your favorite mods!

Coming Soon Updates:
Upload function is currently needs a manuel step. That will be made completely automatic very soon.

After that I am planning a surprise feature but that will take a little longer.

Star based review system. User will write reviews mods and give them star points.

Need Help
Need help for new custom fields. Send me the mods’ working game versions, types and for suggestions for other custom fields.

Attachment: filter.jpg
Attachment: directories.jpg

Upload process has been simplified.
Users are now able to review the mods.
TitanCalc Anniversary Edition updated. Now Return Link is working.
https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titancalc-anniversary-edition/

Everyone please send me information about your mods like:

Game Version: 1.7
Type: Masteries, Items, Total Conversion
Language: EN, ES

No one sends any information as it seems. From the people I PM’ed no one answered either. Will fill the information myself, no more waiting.

On the other side of things new updates are here:

-Upload process has been simplified.
-Users are now able to review the mods and give ratings.

Proudly announcing our latest killer feature!

Now you can easily notify your users about the updates of the mod by sending automated emails to them whenever you update your mod page!

It takes time to for the branding and and site exposure…

Dont loose your hope and keep it updated.
On another note, have you try contact popular mod creator from other games and mod at moddb and nexus. Pretty sure, there’s few who’d like to jump their ship and content hosting;

let alone providing a mirror

Hi fotosintesis thanks for you suggestions and support. Currently I am on all M&B collection, just took a break to bring more features to the site like the one you read above.

It is really an uphill battle. Other mod sites have the advantage of popularity and all the years behind. And just provide the site, I am making all the content myself on top of the site. Also on the financial side too. Last month KP served over 1TB of mod files. Paying for all these is hard.

Will take time but getting there sure. The daily visitor of KP raised beyond my expectations considering currently only serving very old mods and not so popular ones.

Finally after working for weeks, the upload and download system completely renewed!

Uploads are very easy now. Just click the blue button on visual mod. You can also input description and version info.

On the download side, file downolad boxes are have a nicer look and the mod files are have their own pages. This allows us to give more detailed information about that file. Also some extra info about the packages like Installation Instruction moved there for giving the right info in the right place, and make main mod pages slimmer.

All of the Grim Dawn mods converted to new system. Others are in progress. I can finally have a life :slight_smile: At least for a while. No rest for the weary.

Last months have passed with little sleep and tons of work. With the new subscription and download/upload system I think KP become ever greater. What can i do more I don’t know. So, enjoy the site and please support it.