New to ARPGs in general, need some help

Hey everyone,

I recently bought Grim Dawn along with its expansions and have been thoroughly enjoying the journey so far. I’m currently at level 60 and nearing the end of The Forgotten Gods expansion after completing both the main game and Ashes of Malmouth. I chose the soldier + Shaman class (Warder) because I tend to lean towards melee characters, especially when diving into a new genre or game (for some reason I think melee is easier, though I might be wrong).

As someone new to the ARPG genre, my understanding of “endgame” is a bit hazy. From what I gather, it’s about leveling up and acquiring better gear until you’re satisfied. Typically, after finishing a game, I move on to the next one, but since the endgame is such a significant part of ARPGs, I want to give it a shot.

So, once I wrap up the last expansion, what should I focus on next? Is it advisable to create a new character and tackle a higher difficulty level, or should I explore the endgame content first? Normal difficulty felt extremely easy, even easier than Titan Quest, so perhaps I should try a higher difficulty? Or should I dive into endgame features before considering a new character? If that’s the case, where do I begin? Should I try the Crucible, delve into endless dungeons, or something else entirely?

Given my lack of experience with endgame content, I’m a bit lost on where to start and what the ultimate goal is. The game felt relatively easy, which led me to neglect certain features like the blacksmith. Maybe stepping up the difficulty level is the way to go, but I’m open to suggestions from seasoned players.

What are your thoughts? Any recommendations or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Long time, no see. :smile:

You can’t start a new character on a higher difficulty unless you have merit tokens and those you can only get by going through Elite and Ultimate difficulties with a character who can then buy them and put them in the transfer stash for your other characters to use.

To be honest I wouldn’t worry about endgame stuff atm since you’re only on Normal. Endgame is usually Ultimate difficulty Shattered Realm endless dungeon (though you can try it out in Normal if you want to) or playing Crucible.

It really depends on what you enjoy most. For me Shattered Realm and Crucible are boring so I rarely play in them, main campaign and making new characters is my thing.

3 Likes

Hello :slight_smile:

Regarding those tokens, how does it work? I need to replay the campaign with the same character in a higher difficulty to get them?

About the endgame stuff, I understand your point, but since I never engaged in endgame stuff before, I just want to try to see it for myself

In my opinion (Im a recent player too):

First step go to lvl100. To achieve this you’ll play normal, elite and ultimate difficult. Most of ultimate already max leveled. This will allow to complete faction reputation and gain access to sellers, mandatory for capping (and over capping) res.
Then it’s up to you: you can test the build against super bosses, shattered realms and/or crucible. Or speedfarming mat, gear and whatsover for your next char, lol.

After the first char, everything became quicker thanks to reputation mandates and potions of clarity (plus the aforementioned tokens)

1 Like

Yes, you need to play your character through to Elite Forgotten Gods Conclave to buy Elite tokens and through to Ultimate FG Conclave for the Ultimate ones. Then you put them in your transfer stash so new characters can access them and skip difficulties.

1 Like