New to game and modding in Grim Dawn

I got the game today and although it’s fun to play I always loved to mod games, from D2 to to TL2, but in this game I’m completely clueless what to do :confused:

What I’d like to do is to change:

• the amount of attributes (increase) gained per level,
  • amount of skill points gained per level,
  • iron (gold) dropped from monsters, from quests or breakables,
  • edit my equipped items (if possible),
  • increase the amount of reputation gained from quests,

I don’t want to use any trainers, just want to know how to mod at least the above things. I checked the forum and couldn’t find any mod that could do it except for GDModdingTool, but there is no exe file in the GitHub site and AssetManager or DBR editor is too consufing for me and I can’t find any guides even on youtube or on this site :confused:

I have extracted all the game files using Asset Manager already.

Maybe I’m just blind, but I’d love to find out how to mod the game. I want to play only in offline mode.

Could someone help me out, please? :neutral_face:

Attribute increases from arz file, you can try to unpack it, modified skill points is also in the same way, other of those can be, but I can’t, can’t help you, sorry!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, wish there were more “step by step” tutorials on the forums. Maybe there were before, but now, there’s pretty much nothing and there’s barely anything on youtube too.

After a while I figured out how to download the GDModdingTool and it helped me a lot. Now I’m only modding basic stuff like exp rate, attribute points, skill points per level, changing stats on items etc.

Also finally found out how modding quests works too, yet DBR editor doesn’t work for me, so I edit all dbr files in Notepad++. Each time I try to open a dbr file I get a “can’t find templates” error…

Currently trying to figure out how to mod pets bonuses or set bonuses.

Wish there was more step by step tutorials for beginners from experienced modders though.

It looks mostly like the ModdingTool does most of what you want from what I can tell… did you read the Wiki at its GitHub?
https://github.com/azakhi/GDModdingTool/wiki

There is also some example files here that break down how you can use it:
https://github.com/azakhi/GDModdingTool/tree/master/Example%20Configurations

If you have questions concerning this particular tools usage you should probably try posting in its thread.

A quick search…

for ‘modding pets’ reveals some hits as well.

Don’t forget you have a ‘Modding Guide.pdf’ file in your installation folder.

1 Like

I’ve read the Wiki at GitHub and used it in my mod, yet I noticed that after changing the max level from 100 to over 100 for example 160, after hitting level 102 in the shattered realm all monsters were gone in game. Maybe it was because I played on normal difficulty with veteran setting on…

Anyway I also noticed that after modding: femalepc01.dbr and malepc01.dbr files I messed up the necromancer and oathkeeper masteies completely, removing all skills from its trees :confused:

Now I just wanted to make the char move faster by changing its walk speed, cause I noticed that changing run speed, doesn’t affect the move speed at all even with 200% (used it on a medal, maybe that’s why), unless there’s an option to turn on run or a button for running that I don’t know off. I’m new to the game so there’s still a lot things I need to figure out…

Another thing I noticed is that there’s a lot of items from games that can’t be found in DBR files like for example the Eldritch Essence or the potions of clarity (Exp potions) or a lot of other epic and even legendary items…

I have extracted the game files twice and checked and still couldn’t find any…

What’s frustrating is also I still can’t figure out how to change pet bonuses on items…

I have these gloves:

Touch of Command
Epic Gloves

330 Armor
+3% Offensive Ability
+8% Casting Speed
18% Elemental Resistance
+2 to Master of Death
+3 to Emboldening Presence

Bonus to All Pets

+8% Health
+6% Total Speed

Required Player Level: 50
Required Physique: 208
Item Level: 50

I would like to change the Bonus to All Pets:

+8% Health to whatever I want for example 50 or 100%. Same with +6% Total Speed to lets say 25% or more, yet I have NO IDEA how to do it, cause there’s no DBR file with these gloves in my database at all -.-.

Same with :

Acolyte’s Cord belt…

Acolyte’s Cord
Epic Belt

18 Armor
+14 Spirit
+15 Offensive Ability
12% Elemental Resistance
+2 to Raise Skeletons

Bonus to All Pets
+15% to All Damage
+8% Health

Required Player Level: 17
Required Physique: 111
Item Level: 14

I have no idea how to change the +15% to All Damage to something else, cause this belt isn’t in my database as a DBR file too -.-.

Would love to if someone could tell me how do you change these pet bonuses, cause searching the forum or google didn’t help at all…

Would also like to know if there’s an “easy” way to make all monsters in game including bosses have much more Health, like 2x, 4x or even 10x times more or do you have to change the scaling for every single monster in game modding all DBR enemy files?

The items definitely are in your dbr files if you extracted the .arz correctly.

How do you try to find them ?

I have extracted the game files using Asset Manager TWICE and they’re not in my database. Checked few times. Same as Eldritch Essence or many other relics like Savage or other items…

If they are there than could be please tell me the file names? I have the definitive version of Grim Dawn from Steam with all the DLCs.

This is a list of all my gloves in the “gearhands” folder from my database:

a01_hands01.dbr
a01_hands02.dbr
a02_hands01.dbr
a02_hands02.dbr
a03_hands01.dbr
a03_hands02.dbr
a04_hands01.dbr
a04_hands02.dbr
a05_hands01.dbr
a05_hands02.dbr
a06_hands01.dbr
a06_hands02.dbr
a07_hands01.dbr
a07_hands02.dbr
a08_hands01.dbr
a08_hands02.dbr
a09_hands01.dbr
a09_hands02.dbr
b001_hands.dbr
b002_hands.dbr
b003_hands.dbr
b004_hands.dbr
from
c000_hands.dbr
to
c035_hands.dbr
from
d000_hands.dbr
to
d012_hands.dbr

No Touch of Command gloves and I checked all the c001-035_hands.dbr files (all Epic gloves)… -.-

you did a good job of ignoring my question :wink:

Touch of Command is c102_hands.dbr, c108_hands.dbr for the mythical version
Acolyte’s Cord is c007_waist.dbr, c030_waist.dbr for the mythical version

Going by your file list, you do search vanilla GD but not the two expansions. That would explain why you did not find the gloves, but you still should find the belt…

Savage is c009_relic.dbr, so another item you should find in vanilla GD

1 Like

I have extracted all the game files using the Asset Manager, so I have no idea where you did find a c102_hands.dbr file, cause in my Steam/steamapps/common/Grim_Dawn/database/records/items/gearhands there’s no such file, so where should I look for the expansion files? :confused:

1 Like

Thanks, but how do I extract the arz. file. When I click on the Archive tool nothing happens. Could someone tell me step by step how to do it. I would really appreciate it :confused:

I would advise having a read-thru of Elfe’s post here:
Setting Up Asset Manager

1 Like

Thanks for the link, but I already found a different tutorial from this thread - [Tutorial]Use the archive tool to uncompile *.arz and *.arc how to do it and now am extracting the files, now I’ll need to add them to the database manually though…

Anyway your link is really helpful, so thanks again for your help :wink: . Now hopefully I can mod everything I want to my liking and finally figured out how to unpack ARZ and ARC files :slight_smile:

EDIT:

I just noticed I already had everything already extracted, yet I didn’t know what the Gdx1 and Gdx2 folders were for, now thanks to you guys I know and I found the pet bonuses, so I’m happy.

Thank you all who replied for your help.

1 Like