New to the game, have some questions

Hello everyone. I am late to the party. For some reason I thought this game was something else, more like PoE and always online. I see this is more offline Diablo 2. I guess better late than never. :slight_smile:

I am wondering how do I get more stash? Google doesn’t seem to be working for me. I noticed my character has extra stash bags, but I have no clue how I got them so when I make a new character it would be nice to know how to do it. Not sure if quest related or I picked it up and not realizing so.

Same for when I go the person who holds are stash. Sorry bad with names and forgot it. I just noticed I can buy more crate stash to share among my characters. Can I buy mores stash just for the current character? If so, how?

What am I suppose to do with the yellow, green blue items I can’t use? I just sell the yellow ones, but kept the greens. Now I am selling yellow and green because I have no room to stash them. Should I be breaking them down for items or something? If so, how and what should I be doing if I shouldn’t be selling them.

I am so glad I can play with a controller. I am trying mouse and keyboard, but it’s a hit and miss for me. That is a me problem and many games I don’t play because it’s mouse and keyboard only. I am trying mouse and keyboard so any good tips for a lefty and what would be a good combination of key bindings?

I only have the base game. Do I need the expansions right away? Am I missing out on anything by not having the expansions? If so, what would I be missing? Or should I play the base game first and complete it first? Just like to know if I am missing out or not.

I am trying to kill some goon Boss and he is tabling me. So I take it I am not high enough level to kill him. Here I thought I was doing good. LOL. I again forget his name. The one that is on the left side of camp once you build the bridge and head to the mine. So off to get more experience. :slight_smile:

So any other tips and suggestions to make my experience more enjoyable? Loving the game so far. Seems so much to know.

Welcome to the game and to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face: Yes, it’s always better to be late than never. We don’t do never here.

Extra inventory bags are granted as part of rewards for some quests. Barnabus in Devil’s Crossing gives you one, Bernard at the Rover’s Camp in the Arkovian Foothills gives you one, Douglass Oldbarrow in Homestead will give you one and Weaponmaster Edric at Fort Ikon will give you the last one.

Yes, you can buy more personal stash space too, just look up by the tab and you’ll see some coins. Click on that and it’ll tell you how much you’ll have to pay to get another one.

Up to you what you do with loot. Sell it, keep some for other characters to use, dismantle later on for crafting materials, etc.

Well, I’m a lefty, but I use the mouse with my right hand so not sure I can be much help.

Well, it depends for the expansions because you can go either way. Play the base game and see how much you enjoy it then get the expansions or get them now and have access to the new masteries they added to the game. Although the main content is locked behind certain goals in the game, the new masteries would be available off the bat so you could dive straight into Inquisitor, Necromancer and Oathkeeper.

If you want more focused help then post your character here so we can have a look at it and give you advice.

To upload your character to https://www.grimtools.com/calc/ click the ‘up arrow’ button in the upper-lefthand corner. If you have cloud saves enabled (enabled by default) your save file will be in \Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata########\219990\remote\save\main_{character name}\player.gdc

Otherwise it will be in \Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main_{character name}\player.gdc

Then click on the icon below the arrow and copy the link shown to paste here.

1 Like

Hey!

Bags for increasing the items,you can carry are received,when you do certain quests,when completed that kinda quest you will notice bag icon,next to exp earned.

For private stash,you need to buy it.

There are lot of items for different styles and combos,the game is meant to be replayed,so you can stash on shared one items for your different chars.

I should say, though - dismantling items is rather inefficient, and you should do it ONLY if you have excess Dynamite or require a lot of Scrap for crafting.
If you dont have much spare Dynamite, and dont craft hundreds rares, better dont use dismantling - you get less than you spend, really. Better just sell bad items, and save decent (including leveling ones) for later use.
Getting through story 3 times with all that new content migh be quite boring and tedious, but that’s only for your first character. For next one you can speed up things drastically.

Thank you very much for the replies and tips. I greatly appreciate it. I hope I did this correctly. Here is the link @medea_fleecestealer suggested.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/bVAzKB1Z

I hope it works. I don’t know if it’s good or not, but I am having fun that I haven’t had in a long time.

Another tip - buy all Searing Embers and Scavenged Plating from vendors. You can never have too much those.

You need to decide whether to be a petmancer and concentrate on them or not. Also you’re not climbing the mastery bars, they’ll help with your survival.

Ooh… Pet Warlock.

Before I say anything else, are you planning on going pets or hybrid?

I don’t know nothing about the mastery bar. I will check it out.

I don’t know what my options are. I picked what ever I did since it was the only thing that I saw that sort of gave me a heal build. I also loved the raven. The other build I wanted to cast magic. :slight_smile: Is there more pets I can go? That sounds like fun. I didn’t know I can control more pets.

Hm… if you are up for a bit of reading, then look here and see if you find something you like: The Carnival - A Guide to Pets

Thank you very much for the link. I will do so. :slight_smile:

The mastery bar is what you put points into to reach the skills. It gives you physique, dexterity, spirit, health and energy so make sure you put points into that and not just in the early skills. It’s a classic “newbie” mistake to make thinking maxing out skills early is good while ignoring the mastery bar.

That said, there are skills you can max out early like the Hellhound, but it’s best to max that quickly so it can do the killing for you and then switch back to the mastery bar again. The Raven doesn’t need to be maxed out, just a point in the base skill is enough and sadly Mend Flesh isn’t really worth taking.

You can buy back skill points at the Spirit Guide in Devil’s Crossing and put them elsewhere if you want to.

It may also be worth putting a point into Manifestation in the Iskandra’s Elemental Exchange skill tree since your pets will benefit from it. Maya’s very good at building “lazy” pet builds, i.e. where the pets do the killing for you and you just basically watch them at work. If that’s not what you’re looking for then also have a look for sigatrev’s builds and he’s also a pet expert, but builds for more involvement from the player themselves.

1 Like

Oh I see what you mean. I thought I could only level those up as I gain a new level. I didn’t know I could reach level 10 before I reached level 10 for example.

Thank you so much for letting me know. I could have picked some other skills if I so want to now. :slight_smile: