New to the game, only just survived the Warden - how should I respec my Reaper?

Hi! Totally new to the game and fairly new to the genre. I know having a properly designed character is really important, but I don’t really know how to do that. So far I have been dumping points into my masteries and I have just one point in a few skills which I’ve been relying on. I get the impression I need to do some respecing!

Here is my character in his current state: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GE7x6Z

If anybody who knows what they’re doing could take a look and give me some pointers on how to best respec this class combination given my current pool of points that would be amazing!

All I know is I like frost magic. It cool.

Thanks!

Also I have no idea if this is the right place to be asking this kind of question or if I would be better off on reddit

If ur actively looking for help the grim dawn discord also is a good place! :wink:
Just a kind FYI :slight_smile:

Have a look here for Builds for Beginners

and also here

1 Like

way too much Mastery bar climb too early, even for me (and i climb it fast)
if you had 1pointed couple more skills you’d already been in a better place, ex skipping out on Pneumatic Burst (a heal) which alone would make things less sweaty
you only have 3 attacks 1pointed, with a 3sec+ CD, that means for the duration inbetween, your only method of dmg is is white auto attacks, and on top of that you’re using an off hand, not dual wield/2h, so your inbetween dmg is even lower (and you don’t even have slotted Shadow Strike to your hotbar either)

go to the spirit guide, remove a chunk from the mastery bar, either put 1 pt into a dual wield granting ability - or use a 2hander, offhand does you no good as melee dmg leveling. Then dump the remaining points in +dmg skills, either adding to stuff you have, or if dual wield, ex adding WPS for in between.
Once you start adding more dmg you will kill things faster and it will get less hairy, and having pneumatic burst, even just 1pt, will help a ton with heals inbetween health potion cooldown, and later when you get either Mark of Torment in necro, or things from devotions, ex ghoul, you get an extra buffer too

1 Like

I’m not too big on reddit, personally, and my knowledge of the community (for GD) over there is low but I would suggest using whichever you prefer. The forum here tho is filled to the brim with experienced players that call it home. You’ll have little issue finding at least someone that will help you.

2 Likes

Okay, if it were me? Get a two-hander and dump some points in bone harvest (all of the nodes, but the last is pretty cool as it buffs damage) and maybe one in shadow strike for movement. Level as a two-hander dropping bone-nukes then re-spec later. You could put some points in Amarasta’s blade burst too, that also has a good damage-augmenting proc on the last node (IIRC). As others have said, you’ve put too much into your mastery bar, you’d be better off maxing one or the other masteries first (I’d go necro for Harbinger of Souls). As for devotions, just rush Kraken then take stock once you’ve got your two-handed death nuke machine up and running. YMMV.