Grim Dawn Build Compendium IX (Ashes of Malmouth)
Update: this compendium is no longer maintained due to release of Forgotten Gods expansion. Please use the new Compendium X if you want to see the most recent builds.
Q. Is this Compendium helpful to me if I DO NOT possess Ashes of Malmouth DLC?
A. If you are someone who DOES NOT possess ASHES OF MALMOUTH then this compendium is all but useless to you. The builds you are looking for can be found in Build Compendium V.
Thanks to Mirenheart, Missing String, ibugsy, Cryodacry, Dikkiedik, Chthon and sir spanksalot for their work on Build Compendium I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII and VIII respectively.
Special Credit to Mirenheart who started the Build Compendium.
Honorable mentions (in no particular order): Superfluff, x1x1x1x2, mad_lee, malawiglenn, Stupid Dragon.
I would also like to sincerely thank our wonderful moderators - the unsung heroes of the forum - for everything that they do. The forum would be dead if it weren’t for their diligence.
With the forum transition in June 2019 links were broken in this Build Compendium. In a mad rush Elfalpha, mAdLaX, Biostasys, malawiglenn, Stupid_Dragon and eisprinzessin salvaged them and restored order. Ignore any links, which are striked through. If supposedly valid links take you to wrong threads / post, please flag them, so that the forum mods can take care of them.
Table of Contents
Each class is hyperlinked to its respective post. Please click on it to view its corresponding build submissions. Thanks for all the help with this eisprinzessin!
- Apostate (Inquisitor + Necromancer)
- Battlemage (Arcanist + Soldier)
- Blademaster (Nightblade + Soldier)
- Cabalist (Necromancer + Occultist)
- Commando (Demolitionist + Soldier)
- Conjurer (Occultist + Shaman)
- Death Knight (Necromancer + Soldier)
- Deceiver (Inquisitor + Occultist)
- Defiler (Demolitionist + Necromancer)
- Druid (Arcanist + Shaman)
- Elementalist (Demolitionist + Shaman)
- Infiltrator (Inquisitor + Nightblade)
- Mage Hunter (Arcanist + Inquisitor)
- Purifier (Demolitionist + Inquisitor)
- Pyromancer (Demolitionist + Occultist)
- Reaper (Necromancer + Nightblade)
- Ritualist (Necromancer + Shaman)
- Saboteur (Demolitionist + Nightblade)
- Sorcerer/Sorceress (Arcanist + Demolitionist)
- Spellbinder (Arcanist + Necromancer)
- Spellbreaker (Arcanist + Nightblade)
- Tactician (Inquisitor + Soldier)
- Trickster (Nightblade + Shaman)
- Vindicator (Inquisitor + Shaman)
- Warder (Shaman + Soldier)
- Warlock (Arcanist + Occultist)
- Witchblade (Occultist + Soldier)
- Witch Hunter (Nightblade + Occultist)
There are also rare no- and monoclass builds.
Builds for Beginners
- Beginner’s Ranged Tactician (Stupid Dragon)
- Nightmare’s Vitality Cabalist (Ceruleansong)
- DW Firestrike Purifier: A build diary from Normal to 170 Glad (x1x1x1x2)
- Beginner’s 2H Lightning Elementalist (Stupid Dragon)
- Familiar Conjurer - Beginner’s Guide (sigatrev / thepowerofmediocrity)
How to search the compendium by skill
Press CTRL+F to use the forum search. Type in the skill of interest as the keyword add @Stupid_Dragon. Alternatively for a text search in your browser load all compendium posts until Witch Hunter and hit CTRL+F twice.
New Players / Crucible (Special FAQ)
Q. There are too many builds here, which one is most suited for beginners?
I’ll continue sir spanksalot’s work and continue a subsection targeted solely for new players (e.g. stupid dragon’s ‘X for beginners’ series comes to mind.)
These builds are NOT for end game farming, but will instead be aimed at helping newer players build up a larger item pool.
This section may take awhile as I may have to trawl through the dozens of guides here to do so.
To the authors: It would be helpful if you could sieve out any beginner builds you’ve done, and reply to the thread using the format exemplified below:
- BEGINNER BUILDS Beginner’s pre-krieg Deathknight (Stupid Dragon)
Q. Any tips for new players?
> New player Knowledge compendium - Ceruleansong
> Tips I wished I knew before playing - Elnawawi
Q. I want to farm Crucible 170. Which builds here can do that reliably?
Builds with “c+” tag are tailor made for this purpose. These builds include some of the best crucible oriented builds on the entire forum.
Builds with “c” tag are also very well made and I recommend trying them out as well.
Q. Are builds with “c” tag not reliable for Crucible 170?
Builds with “c” tag are very good for 170 as well but the main problem with builds with this tag is their speed.
See the most efficient way to farm crucible 170 is to use a maximum of 4 buffs and no banners and complete 150-170 under 12 minutes. Each buff lasts 25 minutes, so a 12 minute clear time means that buffs last for 2 farm runs. This makes this very rewarding.
There are many excellent builds wit “c” tag as well. Some builds in this category are much more safer crucible farmers than some builds in the “c+” category. It also houses builds that are weak in maps that don’t have many hiding spaces/choke points like Crucible of the Dead, Crucible of the Void, yet these same builds have 10 minute clear times on other maps.
So this category is a bit of a mixed bag and therefore I recommend trying out the builds in this category.
Q. LIES. I CAN’T COMPLETE 170 WITH A C+ BUILD.
It’s probably due to poor piloting skills. Refer to this for some advice.
Q. A build I am following seems to be outdated. How do I know if it’s still viable?
Post in the respective build’s thread and the community will respond to your queries.
Q. Where do I read about Game Mechanics?
These might help -
Q. Advice on creating my very own gladiator?
How to make your own gladiator: A guide - Veretragna
Official Grim Dawn Wikipedia All the information you need about Grim Dawn
Grim Misadventures: Development updates.
Grimtools: A useful site in which you can create your build but also search for items
Item Rarity Explained: An explanation of the different levels of items, including color coding. Also how to turn on item rarity filtering.
A how-to on levelling and looting: A compilation of tips and tricks shared by experienced players on efficiently taking on Cairn