Newbie need advice for build

I heard that the Zenith and the Diablo 3 classes in Grimarillion are OP for Grim Dawn. I am staying away from those classes, for now. I am just messing around with the Titan Quest ones. Spirit’s Visions of Death spell is similar to Grasping Vines from the Shaman, just different animation and damage type. Both act as CC and AOE. The real test will be in Ultimate, but that will be a while for me.

Edit. If you are familiar with Diablo 3, especially the Shield Throw Crusader build, Oathkeeper has that spell. It also has a spin spell like the Diablo 3 Barbarian, but I havn’t messed with that spell yet. That will be my next venture after I finish with my caster/sometimes stabber.

1 Like

Hey guys. Question again.

Is smite proc with aeagis of menhir? How can i know if it would work with it or not?

No, from OK only Righteous Fervor (or just your basic attack without any skill) procs Smite.
You know this by “when used as default attack” in RF’s description.

2 Likes

And thanks again friend :smiley:

1 Like

Most skills in the top left corner of mastery display are passive, some are WPS ( WPS stands for “Weapon Pool Skills”. It’s a pool of skills that trigger from weapon attacks and adds bonuses and special effects to those attacks ). Under the description of WPS, you can see “Can activate with all default weapon attacks…”. Most default weapon attacks works with WPS (they accumulate together), except Cadence. The 3rd hit always overlapses other WPS.

1 Like

Thank for the tip.

But also, something like slam, the skill granted by a component, is it considered as basic attack or not?

Nope. Only a stuff like AA (Savagery, Righteous Fervour, Fire Strike etc) There’s a component that grants an AA but it’s the only one I think.

Edit: some sets grant AA and some pieces of gear (only one I think) grant as well.

1 Like

While i’m at it, is defense ability needed? or better have resist + armor?

1 Like

IMO da is more for endgame. You don’t really need to worry about stats like that while leveling. Just make sure your gear is up to date and resists are nice and tight.

2 Likes

Default attack skills always have ZERO cooldown, its a replacement for your starter attack (the sword icon).
DA is a part of defense, some builds only need about 2k5-2k6 DA as they have plenty of other defensive layers, for example Sorceress has Blast shield, Maiven, Mirror, BWC…, Warlord has a huge hp pool and physic res… However, most builds need around 2k8+ for safety, as bosses can reduce your char res/DA value and oneshot you.

3 Likes

Wow sorry for the late reply, it has been a busy holiday season, man.

I went Shaman first because of how incredibly strong and durable they are in the early game. Savagery was my first and only skill for the beginning like 10 levels damn near. I max that out immediately it is SO strong in the early game that you can fight with no weapon equipped and still be crushing enemies. Or at least you could at that time. It may have been nerfed though Im not sure. But the MAIN early game draw in going that route for me was Might of the Bear for the 8% Phys Resist. Then Brute Force buffs your HP and damage further, Primal Strike for shotgun damage if you feel you could use it.

I think I only had 1 point in Primal Strike for a while, I actually leveled up Grasping Vines before Primal Strike because it’s great at triggering devotion abilities with % chance on hit effects, as well as Gear with % chance on hit effects I believe. I also prioritized Grasping Vines because I think overall its a cooler ability. I love being able to slow down my enemies while triggering tons of effects. Its great for that.

1 Like

Hmm never tried levelling Shaman with Savagery. I always take PS because it’s so damn good early-mid game.

1 Like

Its powerful, there is no doubt. I just love Savagery because its seamless, there is no break in the damage output, and I prefer not having to worry about cooldowns. Skills with low cooldowns or toggles are my favorites to build around. Obviously there are some exceptions but dude full spec into Savagery with a solid 2 hander- Even Hevill’s Greatsword cuts through guys like butter. Obviously mid to late game Savagery’s power tapers off, but I recall it being devastating when leveling my HP regen build in the early game, which was what @Unsanity was asking me about.

Like I said, I do feel like this is personal preference though.

1 Like

Primal Strike has no CD too (with transmuter), and it has much better AoE (especially with Torrent) and requires no build-up. The only downside is energy cost, though some energy regen items make for it.