Newbie need advice for build

Hello everyone.

I just bought the game and all the DLC yesterday. To be fair, i played D2R from the release but i’ve been playing this game for 20 years and i’m bored.

It’s on the D2R forum that someone advices me this game, and after trying it, here i am.

It’s complicated, i mean in compare to D2, it’s complicated :smiley:
I don’t really know what kind of build to start with because i understand when you choose a mastery, you’ll need to stick with it.

I tried occultist till lvl 13 cause it’s the kind of classes that i enjoy, like the warlock in WOW, but his skill tree don’t looks like i would love it.

I saw that there is guns, and damn i love ranged char with rifle or gun/bow/crossbow everything like that.

I will just start the game, can you advice me a build which i can do everything in game with it? And i mean everything, i don’t want to be stuck because the build deal fire damage and the last boss on an expension is immune to fire, something like that…

I don’t need a full build/guide, i love to learn by myself, i just need a little guidance.

If someone could advice me a builde like that, like riffle/acid/poison for example or something else, i would be grateful.

Thanks <3

2 Likes

Welcome to the game and to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, Purifier (Inquisitor/Demolitionist) is a good class. Inquisitor allows you to dual wield pistols and Demo’s Fire Strike is a nice weapon attack replacer that Inquisitor’s top row of skills can proc off of.

1 Like

Hello and thanks.

I didn’t understand half of what you said but i’ll try to understand it :smiley:

We have a gun forum nerd called eard.
@eardianm Are Physical gunners the best now overall?

1 Like

I don’t know why but the sound and the gameplay of the rifle is so, satisfying in this game it’s amazing. I played more with my riffle than my pox something on my occultist lol

The Left Mouse Button is the default weapon attack and that can make some other skills called Weapon Pool Skills (WPS’s) go off. There are some skills that can replace the default weapon attack and Fire Strike is one of them.

The game guide might help you understand the game more generally.

https://www.grimdawn.com/guide/

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

I play controller though lol but i will read that and try to understand.

Unlike D2 when immune mobs is nearly invincible, in GD there are plenty of debuffs to reduce their natural resistances, so dmg type is not a problem. If you like ranger, Inquisitor/Demolitionist is a perfect choice for newbie, and as time passes by and you dig deeper into the rabbit hole, there are various ranged builds. Rektbyprotoss in utube/tw is the friendly nerd guy for beginer “how to learn GD”.
You should check Class and build sub, many guides there lead you to glory, for example, it has the mini lvling guide too

Cheer :grin:

2 Likes

Hey

As opposed to D2 or PoE, GD is 1) offline and 2) focused on diversity. Offline means you can mod and cheat so you don’t have to stick with the chosen mastery on one char unless you wanna play legit. Point 2) means in GD you don’t really grind one character to death. You finish one char and you go making another ASAP because the game offers so much diversity and easily achievable level cap and (usually) easily farmable BiS gear. Making different builds is what it’s all about, not grinding your faves endlessly.

Right now you don’t have to worry about builds because you won’t see usable gear until level 94. Just play and see what drops. You got occultist, it’s usually a support mastery. So your other class will matter more. I’d go pets with shaman or vitality caster with either shaman or necro. Guns, there’s is pyromancer (occu+demo) but you need a specific set or it sucks on budget gear. Or take oathkeeper or soldier for physical melee - can’t go wrong it’s that as phys is overpowered. I’d go shaman and level with a 2h Primal Strike for now which is fast.

Last advice, game is mechanically complex. You will need to research, check out builds, guides ask questions on the forum, or there is no way you can ever understand even half of what’s going on in your build. Sadly, there’s a lot of low quality content out there. Best check out builds on this forum. Rule of thumb - if a build post has Crucible time mentioned there’s a lower chance it’s a bad build.

5 Likes

Thanks all,

It’s not easy when you come from D2 to understand GD :smiley:

I just took inquisitor, and will continue my path through ranged weapon and see what skills does what.
I’ll try every skill on a mastery and then, i’ll respec and choose a second one, and learn those skills too.

That will take a while, i think you will see me a lot on the forum for multiple question :smiley:

And thanks for the link, i had it already, i did some research too :smiley: I will try to understand everything at my own pace. :older_man:

1 Like

Yeah physical in a great spot with cadence or righteous fervor options. Almost anything fire strike is still fine to great, and savagery with evoker or vortex of souls is also peachy.

If OP really wants to do everything and is okay with a bit of a leveling/gear finding ramp up, paladin looks like the safest choice currently. But quite a few forum pew pew crucible builds can be tweaked for higher resist caps/safety ala the Chinese/Japanese runners and manage to do super bosses as well

2 Likes

I didn’t even go past lvl 10…

I literally can’t choose a class. I’m always restarting and trying new mastery, i hate being like that, i can’t decide.

I wanna play rifle, but i love aoe. I love tanky char but all the aoe mastery seems squishy… I’m in front of my lvl 2 char for 1 hour now trying to decide what to do.

It’s annoying to be like that lol

1 Like

Playing rifle doesn’t mean no AoE, look at the video, Fire Strike fragments and meteors.

A build can always be made tankier if needed in various ways. I wouldn’t focus on that.

Yes, it is annoying. I was an altoholic too.

1 Like

I’m no alcoolic tho but thanks, i’ll look at this video :smiley:

LOL i’m dumb :smiley:

5 Likes

You don’t need to choose just one class.
Because it won’t take you long to complete this build.
At the same time, you’ll gain a lot of good items from other masters and you’ll want to create other builds.

So think you’re just choosing your first character.
Then you come back and choose two more different masters…

Most Grim Dawn players have a lot of characters because you actually finish one character and move on to another, enjoying the whole game.

2 Likes

Yeah I would focus on one char for right now. Personally if I have too many builds started I never am motivated to finish any of them. I now only focus on levelling one build at a time. So I would find something you want to do, take it to endgame, and then farm gear for the next character. Course this is just my take, feel free to do whatever you want. Most importantly of all, have fun!

1 Like

Considering the vast diversity of classes isn’t easy to choose just one to stick with :stuck_out_tongue:

But at same time since virtually every combo can succeed if build right, you shouldn’t worry if you selected class, which is not viable. So choose based on what you like.

IF that’s ranged playstyle, I can say being interested in dual pistols physical Paladin and that’s Oathkeeper+Inquisitor. OK class will provide your main attack - Righteous Fervor and Inquisitor - weapon pool skills, which will boost your ranged attack. Inquisitor Seal will help you tank better, while shooting. And Ranged Expertise grants the ability to use two pistols. Another option is to go ranged Primal Strike with 2H weapon. Shaman paired with Inquisitor.

3 Likes

Thanks you all, really.

I did go with demolitioner, i will up that and see after what i choose. i will take my time and enjoy it :smiley:

My fav char is always some dark mage with dot, but here, i didn’t feel right for the occultist. You just dot and run around till they die. I don’t use pet i don’t like that but i don’t know how he is endgame.

Well, i’ll stick to my rifle guy and try to finish everything in game. Too bad there is no riffle/acid/poison build, that would have been awesome. But i did some research and that doesn’t seems possible.so…

Thanks again all <3

It is possible, i.e.

but I’d stick with more basic builds for your fist character / leveling if I were you.

2 Likes

Hi again :smiley:

Question, again… I am a shaman, i choose arcanist as second mastery.

I wanna try a build trozan sky shard/devastation/wind devil as main attack. I don’t really know how they work and i don’t know if it can work later on. Is it possible to use those spell for main attack?

I could try it but i saw that that cost more and more to respec, so i need to know what i want cause i will not have unlimited money to respec :smiley: