Not enjoying Sunder at all

He does a really long stomping animation that sends rock spikes from him. Those sunder on contact.

Summarizing the replies since I left last night:

• Turn down your graphics options to minimal.
  • Ignore 3/4 of the possible builds in the game and only play builds that can ignore sunder.
  • Automate the game/turn it into an autoattacker instead of playing it.
  • “git gud” (You can eff right the eff off with this response, BTW – and there’s a reason “Souls” fans are notorious on the Internet.)
  • Just deal deal with the game having changed genres entirely to one where you have to memorize attack patterns now.
  • Play the old version forever, and lose out all the other updates and changes and future content!

Y’all realize you’re crazy in rationalizing this away, right? I feel Sunder can be made to work, but not how horribly overtuned it is right now (on top of the patch notes ALSO making all the dungeons having a harder baseline difficulty too, mind you).

1 Like

You realize that there were always extremely dangerous boss mechanics that were not facetankeable on most chars? Try killing Grava or Gargabol without looking at the boss, lmao.

9 Likes

Sunder only didn’t worked when it applied to a bunch of random mobs, some having it attached to a projectile that they can fire from offscreen like the Obsidian Shaleborn, but now that it applies to only major bosses with highly telegraphed attacks, it’s far more manageable.

It’s not like this game didn’t had attacks before that you had to avoid to not die like Grava’s null or Aleks’s meteor. So saying it’s changing genres is beyond me.

3 Likes

Recognizing dangerous attacks for being dangerous is not comparable to memorizing attack patterns.

And we’ve had dangerous attacks in Grim Dawn since…2013? 2012? When did the Warden get his shotgun crossbow?

10 Likes

They’re even too high imo.

Disable post processing and or reduce particles to medium or low.
No screen cutters anymore, preventing you from spotting sunder sparkles.

Those are the settings my PC decided on for the game except for the gamma which I turn up to full because I don’t like playing in the dark.

1 Like

14 Likes

You don’t have to be Souls fan to like Sunder. I’m bad at games, don’t play FPS, RTS at all for this reason, learn slowly (took me many hours to learn how to fight Callagadra), never played or intend to play any of the Souls games and I still enjoyed adjusting to Sunder, practicing dodges, other movement skills, Blade Barrier etc. It’s satisfying and enjoyable for the brain when it’s not dead.

I recommend you to change your approach and analyze what are you doing wrong / can you do to improve either your gameplay or your build to deal with Sunder better.

5 Likes

I play Grim Dawn to relax and unwind. I play other games when I want to get my heart pounding and get stressed. (Which is, frankly, rare. I’m more of a TBS guy.) Grim Dawn is not at all improved by the addition of the Sunder mechanic and twitch dodging. It’s completely incongruous with this style of game. The game has gone from being satisfying and enjoyable in the past to not being enjoyable now.

What about Normal? Does Sunder make it too difficult for you too?

1 Like

That’s entirely different. I don’t bother with any of the four(?) celestials. Again, same reasons. Sunder instead is everywhere, making the whole game worse, including places that used to be fun.

In my opinion, it is much improved with the addition of everything v1.2 has to offer. @tqFan’s statement is spot on:

If you are struggling with Sunder so much, perhaps you should post your build instead of just complaining about the mechanic? We will gladly offer advice on how to handle to (slight) difficulty increase that Sunder adds to GD.

Sunder was everywhere in the game during the playtest and that was changed to restrict it to Bosses and to have the telegraphed effect that @Gnomish_Inquisition posted earlier.

4 Likes

Oh, look, it’s the predictable and unreasonable “lower your difficulty” reply.

1 Like

IT’S NOT ABOUT A BUILD. IT’S ABOUT A WHOLE CORE MECHANIC THAT MAKES THE GAME UNPLEASANT TO EVEN TRY PLAYING NOW BECAUSE IT’S ALL ABOUT TWITCH REFLEXES WHEN FIGHTING BOSSES NO MATTER WHAT CHARACTER YOU’RE PLAYING.

It’s not “slight”. It’s huge. With every character I’ve played since 1.2. The game is now entirely built around lighting trigger-finger and (supposedly) reading a (supposed) telegraph, when none of that was present or necessary at all in the past.

So if that mechanic frustrates you so much, disable it with the mod they offered you

6 Likes

Well yes, it’s a totally reasonable reply because the game should provide appropriate difficulty for every player not only you. If it means pushing some types of player to lower difficulties then so be it. Especially after the recent changes to Normal being a more valid difficulty for the whole game (if I understand the changes correctly).

This is not true. I think you can make good characters which are not bothered by Sunder in the content you’re playing.

3 Likes

Sure it is, I have well over 100 characters and none care very much about Sunder. :man_shrugging:

It takes just a little time to upload your character to GT and post the link so we can see what you are struggling with.

Very easy solution! :+1:

3 Likes

Build issue.

That gameplay was taken from the playtest, when Sunder was more prominent and more potent than it is now. You’ll note that it is not Sunder that does the run in, but mechanics that already existed.

If you want to turn your brain off and ignore game mechanics, you still can. You just have to build for it.

4 Likes

I’m struggling with not being a cat with lightning reflexes with a screwball precision dodge mechanic that, should you fail to dodge, there’s an almost-certain change you’re going to die with all the increased damage you’ll be taking. It has nothing to do with a build.