[Observation] Devotion skills that show no cooldown on the tooltip have it internally

This is probably something that is already known, but for test purposes I decided to upload a video showcasing devotion procs like Aetherfire and Wendigo’s Mark having an internal cooldown. Not sure if this belongs in the Guides and Tutorials section, if it does, feel free to move it.

I decided to use Forcewave and cooldown Dreeg’s Evil Eye for my tests, but skills like Bone Harvest and Doom Bolt give the same results.

The results are that skills that act like projectiles and hit every enemy individually ( Forcewave/ Bone Harvest), can proc these devotions on multiple targets with one cast. I am assuming this happens because the internal cooldown of these devotions is very very minor so with enough distance between enemies it has enough time to reset and thus multiple procs go off. Attacks with instant aoe on the other hand ( Doom Bolt/ cd DEE), showed that this internal cooldown exists in the first place, because you simply cannot proc these devotions on multiple enemies if you attach them to aformentioned skills, they always mark one target.

The clear winners of these devotion abilities are Maul since it’s an aoe debuff by default so you won’t have to worry about its internal cooldown, and potentially Aetherfire because it’s an aoe pool-type of attack and it has enough meter radius to hit multiple targets by itself. As far as I know though, this devotion has summon limit for these pools.

4 Likes

it’s something i observed long ago and attributed to how certain skills is an “instant aoe”, vs aoes that “spread out”, like wave aoes as forcewave and bone harvest
the test i did back then was, GDstash a toon with a sht ton of cunning, as low lvl (low dummy DA), this got me me like 80-85% crit i think
slap assassin’s mark (0cd) on judgment, go to fort ikon, judge the dummies
no matter how many casts was made with judgment, at insane crit chance, never was more than 1 dummy marked
repeated this with wendigo and aetherfire etc like you did, same results

stuff like oblivion, forcewave etc could trigger multiple because the aoe wasn’t instant but “traveled” through the dummies, so front and back row would reliably get marked
i’ve referred to this as “1 proc per instance of instant dmg”'ish 1devo application per instant dmg hit couple times on the discord

since i’m not a super keen observer i never really figured out what timer the internal CD had, initially i assumed it was just 0.1 sec, but there were times where it actually appeared lower than that

since some devos and spell effects make it seem like “X 0 cd devo would be super on Y aoe skill”, but in effect “hurts” the character (like assassin’s mark on judgment/“doesn’t actually tag the entire screen” etc), i def think it could use a footnote in a guide, so people dont’ take wendigo and slap on OFF etc thinking they will get screen wide heal application, (tho it will likely still just get glossed over my most people :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

You might be onto something. But this doesn’t prove that there’s an internal cooldown.
“Instant AoE” deals damage once, at the same time, to multiple targets. It produces one instance of damage ( it’s doesn’t matter if it hits one target or multiple targets) so devotion procs once.

Exactly.
Bone Harvest or Forcewave propagate like waves and produce multiple instances of damage as they move. Animation is split in segments and each one counts internally as separate instance of damage so they can proc devotions multiple times. In a way, they are like multi-hit combos with each hit happening in a different area.

You could probably test it by using maximum range Bone Harvest with some really short cooldown devotion. If you manage to proc the devotion on an enemy close to you and on enemy at max range, then those skills work like I said and “instance of dealing damage” (everything that happens at the same time counts as one instance of “damage happening”) is what counts, not “hits” in general.

Basically there’s no internal CD on those devotion but time factor is included in a different way because it matters if skill deals damage at the same time or creates multiple instances of dealing damage. Technically skills that have multiple hits, one after another, should work the same way (do we even have those in Grim Dawn?).

Also, it should be possible to hit one enemy multiple times by knock-backing him into the wave or placing the enemy with large enough hitbox on the border of two waves (unless they have a failsafe to prevent it).

2 Likes

Has anyone tested if it’s linked to devotions themselves, or if it’s just the nature of how procs work in the game ?

Is the behavior differenf if it’s a devotion vs a proc on a piece of gear ?

i thought about it, but then realized, item procs have cooldown, so would have to mod the item proc to be 0 cd - and i suck at modding the game so i didn’t even wanna go down that alley

for regular cd procs you can tell it does individual hit registries on a per item vs targets basis like normal (just as devos)
like, you judge the dummies at fort ikon, and various procs will trigger at various dummies, not only the same dummy/hit target
“obv” conclusion is simply just even if it’s an instant dmg to all, it’s still individual hits, so they all at least trigger/get rolled individual in terms of proc % chance
like, judgment hits 7 dummies in an instant, item A immediately triggers on dummy 1 on that judgment, but item B triggers on dummy 3 while item C triggers on dummy 1 and item D triggers on dummy 5

^but without modding the items to 0 cd you wouldn’t be able to tell if it truly behaved similarly to devos with a 1proc per instant dmg application, since with cooldown they still work pretty much exactly like devos

1 Like

It doesnt really matter for Wendigo Mark. If i remember correctly, It has a spreading effect, you just need to apply it to a single enemy, and it will spread onto the whole pack very quickly.

it does not
it’s just a regular dot, think word of pain/siphon souls, not bloody pox/ill omen

What about testing Vire’s Might with Alkamos sword (because proc chance is high on the Devos then)? Then when cooldown is reset a few times in a row you’ll see if the Devotion procs every time or every X times. Not perfect, but maybe useful. The other one would be Grenado with Ulzuin’s Chosen maxed.

The way Blizzard seems to proc for me off Vire’s Might feels like there’s a CD on it, as it has 100% chance and I can cast VM 3-4x within a second but never see more than one Blizzard at a time and usually with a couple of seconds between them.

because it literally does ? :thinking: clearly states so in the devotion skill. 3.2 seconds

either way Vire’s might isn’t a great skill for testing such stuff since it has an animation+travel, which would already be xx miliseconds and not truly 0
could just mod judgment or warcry to 0
*also not sure it needs to be tested anymore, think it was confirmed somewhere already ?

Damnit I read the skill a few times and still missed the cooldown note! Yes it does, my bad.

I figured even though there’s animation/travel, if you’re in a group/against an elite it’s practically instantaneous as you don’t move.

Also just realised this is an old thread anyway :expressionless: