Oh... My... God... There's a level cap?!

Great. I am about halfway through Ultimate, and just hit lvl 100. I blinked when my XP bar just stayed green. Then it dawned on me, and now I feel very hollow and dead inside. What is the point of continuing on? I had no idea this was coming, this pretty much makes playing meaningless. What am I supposed to do now, try to run through the mobs as if I am on a speed-run? For what, tidbits of gear?

Poop, honestly I’ve never even seen mention of a level cap. The way the game sorta magically ‘auto levels’ the areas around you, it never occurred to me that it would ever be a thing. I didn’t try to grind anywhere, either. I romped through as far as I was concerned.

We need another expansion pack!

Before the expansion, you also hit the level cap half way through Ultimate.

You continue to save the world and get better gear.

You hit the level cap, now you must reach the skill cap.

Skill cap? I’m already restoring shrines and getting nothing for it. sob

Improve your gear, defeat all the bosses and nemesis, crush all the dungeons, then… maybe crucible ? /shrug

Up to you how you want to play your game

Good advice here. The game is very sandbox. There is a lot to do after level cap if you want to…

Once you realise what it take to gear a top notch build you will realise that hitting level cap was barely a tip of an iceberg.

Is there any ARPG that doesn’t have a level cap? Closest i can think of is D3 with their infinite paragon, but even then there is a definite cap on levels.

Why would you expect there to be no level cap?

I just wish the timing was better. I have just hit the Necropolis, and the thought of trying to avoid mobs for all of that and then all of Malmouth tastes like ashes in my mouth.

This is how long it took me to scrape up enough shekels and bottle-caps in order to build a ‘Primal Instinct’, which was a RIDICULOUS journey. I was finally short 3 Manticore Eyes as the last ingredients. I ran at Mogra over 100 times, and in the end only got one Eye from him (and another 2 from chewing through Alphas along the way). Then, I find out you can dismantle blues. Yes, I never saw that tab. Every single square of my stash and shared stash was already filled with epic/mythical gear, in case I needed to try to craft something in the future. ‘Cashing these in’ was ridiculous, it was raining Manticore Eyes and all manner of other ultra rare mats while I growled away 120 sticks of dynamite.

Along the way of 5 hours of Mogra runs, I picked up hundreds of mythical pieces. Nothing, not one piece did me any good. I guess my point is, running one character and using entirely self found gear means you don’t always get top kit no matter how many hours you put in.

I wanted to push the limits of my character, but there are 10,000 miles of dodging enemies from here to a true ‘end game’. Somehow fighting through mobs without gaining anything feels… empty.

Now take all those mythical pieces of gear you found, and use them on a new build.

The game has always been capped, right from the first release of the alpha when it was about L15-20 iirc. :smiley: Could you reach it then too.

Put it this way - would you prefer to have a level cap so high it’s impossible to reach on a straight playthrough of the game? Titan Quest/Immortal Throne is like that. I usually finish a straight playthrough around L60-61, but the level cap is 75. Which means you never reach it unless you farm like FOREVER.

Having reached the level cap you have “pushed the limits of your character” as far as it can go.

In the same way that there are more shrines than devotion points having a level cap and being able to reach it means you have to decide how best to use your limited points (skills and attributes) to best optimise your character.

I for one like the consistency and linear experience Grim Dawn provides. I would be against any change that makes an infinite leveling system.

Just saying…

I’ll never get how players reach cap half way through ultimate. I have to farm xp in BoC with XP potions quite a few times before i get to the lvl cap.

And I don’t toatally rush too much, i do many quests along the way

You casual. Just do all the quests with real gears (so you can do it fast and not dying) but dont turn it. When you’ve done a bunch of them swap for Lokarr gear and receive 240% xp reward. Repeat.

I guess this is about the individual sensibility of each player. Reaching level 100 to me is of no consequence. It’s just one of the many conditions you have to reach to really play endgame. Other conditions are unlocking all the skill points with secret quests, completing the various contents, defeating all the nemesis and secret bosses (not the 2 godly ones maybe :slight_smile: but you got it). And then there is Crucible.

In order to do all those things level 100 means nothing per se. Working to maximize your build(s) it’s the real goal, obtaining the pieces you need (and this can be a long run expecially if you need some particular MIs), capping devotion skills, farming for the best components and the best augments, et cetera. I doubt that you reached all of this only for capping level 100 :slight_smile:

Maybe you would prefere if the exp system were more “slow”, so that you can reach level 100 only at the end of the Expansion? but then, as other players already said, it’s only about the way you play, how much do you farm in the process etc.

I swear i did it once, fascinated by another thread like this one. Quests along the way, quests for rep, you name it. Gain mass xp from triggering multiple quest rewards with xp potions active. It ain’t happening, for me. I would bearly even get lvl 94 by the end of the game to wear the set I wanted, let alone cap. So off to BoC a few times with XP potions(by far the best source of XP in the game - done deal in like 15 mins)

Didn’t do it with Lokarr set but the whole xp gain has diminishing returns after a while. You over level and you gain very little in the end back and end up roughly in the same spot. XP potions, for me, have been best at the end of the game when farming BoC in ultimate to finish my char, that is where it shines

Anyways your build is nowhere near finished @ level 100. Even if we just talk XP gained, what about leveling up those devotion skills? Makes a huge difference when they are maxed…

shhhhh, spoiler alert!

One of them is not too bad if you overcap light resist by 100% ++…

I did zero grinding, used zero XP potions, and have zero XP gear. Every devotion but my last one (Hungering) is already maxed, and that includes a couple of ‘mistakes’ that were capped and now lay dormant. I have no more skill points to get.

As far as gear goes, I am pure pet/summoner. I’m already loaded for bear, and these fantasy builds with full sets and such are NOT being accomplished with a solo character and self found gear. I’m certainly not ‘sick of the game’, but yes I was quite shocked to hit a level cap. Why does it seem outlandish to simply keep going? Normal RPG scaling of XP progression has been a fixed formula for longer than most people on this forum have been alive. Diablo II may have had a level cap of 99, but to hit that you had to put in ten times the hours you do in this game.

Honestly, I don’t think you should ever hit a level cap in a true ARPG. Even if progression goes straight up exponential, fighting enemies should NEVER be for nothing. I wouldn’t care if it took a year of playing to hit 101, it would still be something worth smashing through mobs towards. That is the game for me, that is all that matters.