One of my characters vanished. His save folder still exists, but he doesn't appear in the game. Help?

So I booted up Grim Dawn to find that all of my characters were gone. This freaked me the hell out, so I quit and tried again. Still no dice.

So I tried skipping Grim Internals (which I’d used successfully numerous times over the last few days) and went straight to Steam, double-clicked Grim Dawn in there, and it asked me which version to play. I don’t recall which I’d chosen previously, but I chose 64-bit, which sortof helped, in that two of my characters returned. But my third one, which is my main, did not.

I have done absolutely nothing to my game since it worked last night. The one thing I did today that’s at all unusual was reboot my PC. I’ve had Steam Cloud saves disabled for ages, so that’s probably not the issue.

I can see my main’s folder in E:\Games\Steam\userdata\7055083\219990\remote\save\main (_CoreDumpNecro), but he doesn’t show up in game no matter what I do. My other two characters, an old Blademaster named coredumperror and a mule I made years ago also show up. Though oddly, there’s also a __coredumperror folder with 2 underscores, alongside the one with a single underscore. Not sure what’s up with that.

What can I do?

That userdata folder is usually only used by Cloud Saves, so that might still be an issue. First, create backups of your saves. Then copy your character folders to C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main. Then make sure you really disabled Cloud Saves in both Grim Dawn and Steam options, that should make Grim Dawn read the savegames from the My Games folder instead of Steam userdata.

The character folder with 2 underscores is from Grim Dawn vanilla without DLCs iirc.

Yeah, check the cloud saving settings in both places. Iirc someone said that an update of Steam had switched it on again for them which caused a similar problem to yours.

Ahhh, I didn’t realize that Grim Dawn had its own internal Cloud Saves setting! Turning that off after copying my entire “save” folder out of userdata and into My Documents/My Games/Grim Dawn seems to have fixed it!

Thanks folks! I’ll be sure to always back up my saves after every session from now on.

When you upgrade from vanilla to one of the expansions Grim Dawn adds an extra underscore (for a total of 2 underscores) to your original Vanilla character. It also creates a copy of this character with 1 underscore which will carry on and be used in the expansions.

The double underscore character can only be viewed if you have the expansions disabled and are playing the base vanilla game. You can, however, manually rename the folder to have only one underscore and it will then be visible if you load the expansions. Once you fully enter into the game world with it tho it would then convert to become an expansion character and cannot go back to vanilla.

You cannot do this if the other copy of the character is still in the the main folder since you cannot have 2 folders bearing the same names occupying a folder.

And no… you cannot rename the character by changing its name via the folder. If you do this the game will not read the character until you name it back to its original name. You can only edit the underscores themselves and that is it.

Note: I’m not assuming you are looking to do any of this, just figured you might like to know your options :wink: