One shot by Gargabol, Heart of the Wild

So I was farming Gargabol, Heart of the Wild on HC Ultimate on my Cabalist and I got one shot. I think it may have been an Obsidian Anomaly that spawn underneath me.

I am not am not super farmed, but I have 3 safety items.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/L2J4Ra8Z

Lichguard, Azzrakaa’s Sand and Serenity.

I went from 100% to Dead instantly. Um, anyone know if this is a bug?

Having <1.5k armor for HC is a suicide imo. Though you are a summoner maybe that is normal for them

1 Like

On phone can’t check grimtools.

Overcaps, DA, did you see which mutators were active?

You probably got hit by his double Fissure and got shotgunned by 12-16 Physical/Fire projectiles at once.

Might have been hit by some Physical or Fire RR beforehand - his BWC cloud and I think his arena flamethrowers reduce your Fire resistance. His plants spit (like the normal ones) reduce your resistances as well.

1 Like

Gargabol can actually stack RR with a proc from his aura and he has flat RR and the plants and the fire turrets also have RR. So he can reduce your fire and chaos resistances by 55% and physical by 45%.

3 Likes

I think it was Time-Warped, Voidmarked, Armored. So nothing to cause too much concern.

I think I must have just been standing in the wrong place and gotten blasted. I had pulled all my minions out of the fire and was waiting for Gargabol to come to me. Because they were all clustered around, I must have missed the fissures spawning.

I don’t think there were any of the plant spawns up, because they get shredded pretty fast, but I am not sure.
I did get a bit toasted by the side flame throwers are few seconds earlier, so it is possible I had that debuff.

Happy enough to lose a HC character to legit mechanics. Got to watch my feet a bit better I guess. I think I had proc’ed a safety item vs Gargabol once in about 25 runs, so I was probably a bit casual about it.

3 Likes

Skeletons…

2 Likes

I don’t have any HC characters but I am impressed by how chill you are about losing him. I would be in a depression.

2 Likes

he uses fissure which 100-0s any character in his second phase. The cue is when he plant his arms in the ground. You have 1-2 seconds to move out before it happens. And you HAVE to move, since no none tanks can survive it, it shotguns you dealing stupid amount of damage.

Theres a few telegraphed death move like that in the game. Other most notibly gravathul’s ball, aleksander meteor, zantarin’s red orb spray. All telegraphed.

While losing a character is hard, I find the risk of death makes it far more enjoyable to play the game.
I have played on normal and it just does not feel the same. Far more of a boring grind, where progress is pretty much proportional to the amount of time grinding. Although I can’t really push for some of the very hard content, which is a slight drawback.

At least in Grim Dawn with share inventory and blue prints, a death in not nearly as heartbreaking as in Diablo 2.

I am back at level cap on a new HC Cabalist and just cleared a level 25 Shattered Realm for the first time.

1 Like

YES! I totally agree with this. Doubly awesome is HC stash not being shared, which means the entire experience is like a brand new game, a true fresh start, if you’ve never done HC before. With the added risk of losing everything, the game takes on a pseudo-roguelike feel and it’s all the more rewarding when you make real progress and achievements feel that much more significant!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.