Online Multiplayer farming

Hello everyone,

I recently started playing this game and I am really having fun.
I wanted to know if there is a specific way the community plays online campaign together just for fun? As in strangers farming together! I tried joining a few games but get immediately thrown out from the other players even if we are the same level …

I just wanna farm with others have fun and laugh getting top know other plays in the community and learn some tricks from the more veteran plays while playing. Any suggestions?

Much appreciated

well multiplayer is there and you can be lucky to join a good server, however usually especially endgame(SR) players use mods and stuff so yeah it sucks to have to look at a player everytime to be sure they are not cheating and even then it might not always be possible. It is possible to generate items and all that so yeah better play with people you know. I got some real veterans on my friend list that play without modding and cheating and its always fun to play with them although IF we open the game we are very strict in who enters but you can never be sure if they play with or without mods and that sucks

Ackchyually, you can be sure :wink: If they don’t have the exact same mods as the host, they won’t even be able to enter the server. The exception are text-based mods like Rainbow Filter, but these do not alter important game data so cannot be used to cheat.

I think you are talking about 3rd party tools like GDstash or Grim Internals which allow cheating, but these tools are not mods. I got a modding background so this distinction is important to me :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah you can never be sure if random players are legit or not. I once banned a guy from my server who seemed totally legit until he started dropping several stacks of 10.000 scrap each, while normally you can have only stacks of 1000. I also had to ban the other guy who started picking up those stacks :pensive:

@Kevin try the Grim Dawn Discord, there’s a “seaching players” channel. Never took me too long to find someone to play with.

1 Like

yeah as you can read i don’t know shit about it cause i use nothing at all.

That’s why best thing to do is play with friends, people you know. We never have that kind of problem in our HC group. Sometimes people try forbidden stuff and end up wiping out their entire stash afterwards to start from scratch to avoid gear contamination.
I don’t even trade anymore. Just give away stuff that I don’t need but never accept anything in return to keep my inventory clean.

From another point of view:

I would never take anything from you if you don’t give anything back. If you don’t accept anything in return it looks kinda fishy to me. Who knows where you got that “free stuff” from, and who knows why you didn’t dismantle it for materials? Probably a cheater, eh? :wink:

Note: this isn’t any accusation, just how I feel about “free giveaways”. And that’s why I totally agree with this statement:

edit: got a little anecdote involving someone who gave away tons of items for free.

Click

Me and a friend joined someone’s server. After playing a while the host guy complained that crafting is so expensive and farming takes so much time. Then we started trading stuff. Everything’s fine so far.

Then my friend talks about a specific, very hard to get item that he’s been looking for. So the host guy suddenly says “wait a minute, I’ll be right back and then I’ll show you something”.

A few minutes later he tells us to go to Etram Fald the Celestial Smith. We meet there, and he says “Now pay attention, maybe the item you’re looking for will drop.”
Then he starts crafting items. MANY items. Dozens, hundreds! The whole screen was purple. I was like WTF, you first complain that crafting is so expensive and then litter the floor with legendaries like it’s nothing?

I spotted some nice items among the mess but I didn’t wanna take anything so I just left the server. Then my friend tells me via steam that the server crashed the moment I left. I laughed so hard! :rofl:

I really hope the guy was a cheater, if he actually crafted all these items with legit iron and mats he was shit out of luck that day :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Haha, funny. You better ask my groupies about the fishy stuff. In 4 years I reset my stash 3 times because each time there was a suspicion that it got contaminated with a GDStashed gear. That’s why I don’t accept anything anymore. I farm it all self found. Don’t care about completing my builds fast. Rather take time to get every well rolled green and all the right bonuses on crafts. Yeah I’m a cheater for refusing to take shortcuts and skip the most precious part of the game - the grind.

Wow that’s some dedication right there :smile:
I’m pretty sure there are some non-legit items from trading in my stash, but at this point I don’t care anymore since I got everything I need tenfold (except Outcast’s Secret helmet, IT JUST WON’T DROP FFS).

The thought of deleting everything and start from scratch is tempting though. Maybe one day, but first I’m gonna get into Hardcore properly. My first HC character is already level 31 and the health bar hasn’t budged much yet. “Toi Toi Toi” as we say here :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Same here. We are both cursed!

HC for life! That’s the only way I can play. Normal SC just feels boring and bland. HC is super addictive, exciting and very rewarding. Go for it!

I’m not quite there yet :slight_smile:

To not stray too far off-topic, what’s up with multiplayer in HC these days? I imagine it’s a real risk when playing with strangers. Talking about network hiccups, crashes and stuff like that. That scary timestop flash mob when someone joins :sweat_smile:

My personal view (not that I even play MP anyway) is that if I were to do so and if I were to do it hardcore and I died to anything that was not intended by the game, well, that’s what GD Stash and the like is for.

Why anyone would allow a game crash, bug, lag etc… to kill them in a game like GD when you have the means to reverse that BS is beyond me. If you die from your own fault, then so be it, but otherwise you are the gamemaster, the DM. You are perfectly entitled to call foul in such a scenario.

2 Likes

Didn’t know GDstash can do that, quite nice to know that not all is lost when something like that happens.

Yup… it certainly can.

There are other tools like GD Defiler and one or two lesser known (and more lightweight) apps that can as well, I believe.

HC MP is fun but glitchy. A lot of people quit in the last few months, especially with those 3 consecutive patches that changed some of their builds. There was some bitching and rage-quitting around it. But there are still faithful players out there and you are welcome to join the party. And like @powbam said, if there’s a bug that kills your char, - nothing can stop you from reverting it. But it’s up to you and the team to agree.

Yea there are apparently some people that exist that seem to think a death by crash or lag etc… is somehow legit and you should just suck it up and kiss your character good-bye. I, however, think that outlook is total bullshit and the only place where you should have to suck such an event up is in an online-only game where you have literally no choice in the matter.

Totally agree with you. I’ve been called a lot of names on D3 forums complaining about lag/DC/crashes. I still think that death by lag or glitch should never be final. Luckily GD gives us this option. Hope Crate never institutes an on-line only policy.

1 Like

Word… I think we are quite safe from that happening (at least as far as GD is concerned). I also feel reasonably sure that they won’t go there in a GD2 either. I suspect that at most they may try to improve the MP aspect, maybe offer an optional D2-style Battlenet thing, but I keep faith that they will steer clear of online-only.

1 Like

same with one of my guys. I never understood that mindset. The game hasn’t changed, it just reached a new level. In all the history of GD I had only one dead build that was beyond fixing, so I just respecced it to something different.

Hmm maybe they just waited for the right moment to quit, to have an excuse to play Monster Hunter World or whatever :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t think Crate will fuck everyone over with an online-only GD2. Offline playability is one of GDs biggest selling points I think.

But I really hope they will be able to put more time and resources into the MP mode of GD2. Maybe hire one more dev for networking stuff.
When FG came out I convinced one of my friends to buy it (we used to play AoM together). But it just did not work properly and after 2 days of tinkering he gave up. The bug reports forum is full of stuff like that. GD2’s MP needs to be more stable.

Battlenet style server structure won’t happen I guess. From an old post of Mr. Z:

When you buy a copy of Grim Dawn, you could play it 2 hours or 1000 hours, from a business perspective it makes very little difference to us. If we had closed servers, now the player who plays for 1000 hours is considerably more expensive for us, and will continue to be for as long as they play.

At that point, introducing microtransactions seems like a no-brainer to off-set those costs.

I think we’ll be sticking to our (already successful) plans.

I think the same will apply for GD2. But I do hope for an option to create a dedicated server myself. Already got a dedibox running several gameservers, would love to add a GD2 server that’s always up :slight_smile:

I don’t see it happening either.

Thing is tho, he was referring specifically to GD in that quote. They have said that as far as any future iterations went they were open to the idea of improving GD’s faults in this area. He would be right tho that to run a server continually comes with continual monthly costs, more-so if it becomes evermore popular, and to keep it going they likely would have to do something like micros to keep the party going.

Guess we’ll see how the winds are blowing once word of GD2 filters down to us.

Yea that’s why I’m hoping for a server tool that I can run from my own box. Doesn’t even need a frontend, just some command line parameters to set the game mode etc. :slight_smile: That’d be so neat, I could even run multiple servers with different mods and whatnot.