Opinions on Legion of Champions mod

Looking for opinions of people who played the Legion of Champions mod for titan quest, its the one that’s based on pets.

What is good/bad about it?
Did the developer take things too far with overhauling the game around pets, and was just making pet gear/skills enough?
Does every skill tree need its own pet, or is having pet stats enough (eg Soldier)?
Would adding new devotion pets appeal to people?
Would adding new item skill that summon small pets on hit/crit etc appeal to people (eg 5% chance on hit to summon a temporary summon)?
Opinions on Item skills either be reworked into auras/passives that also affect pets, or to change them if not possible (eg ring of steel gives pets retaliation and health regen).
Is Grimmer and Grimmest liked? Or would people prefer a Grim Legion style of enemy quantity?

I have been working on some things for a long time now, and im unsure where to take it tbh. The idea is simple but its a lot of menial work, make every prefix/suffix/unique item have a pet component attached to it that is based on the stats already on it.

Make every skill have a pet component themed around the original skill itself, where possible keeping the original skill and adding the pet part to it.
Do all this in a way that when the devs update the game, its easy to simply slot this back in and change the new items added; as any modder knows when this game updates, everything requires remaking and its damn annoying.

Everything is being thought of in a way to keep the original items/skills as close to the developers intended purpose, a soldier is still a tank, a demo is still using guns and bombs. The pet parts will just be slotted in as extras to the skills where possible.

Finally what are peoples opinions on patreon as a way of influencing the way mods are developed nowdays?

TLDR: Opinions on Legion of Champions mod for TQ, opinions on adding pet stats to all items and skills.

Um, are you actually working on modding this mod? Because Bumblegruppy is back working on his version 2 of this mod for TQAE. Have you asked his permission to modify his work? Or are you trying to make something similar for GD?

i see legion of champion mod , i appear :stuck_out_tongue:

as for the one who still playing it ,the mod is one of the best for TQ , imo, it not just of pets, but the rework of actual gameplay, more trash monsters, champion monsters does actually use skills and are dangerous, new bosses that dont die in 2 secs, better status for armors and more elements dmg.

one of factor of sucess is the talk, what means feedback by players are listen

density is perfect , not insane as xmax our grimmest , but something similar to x2 our x3 monsters.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, I am talking about a similar mod for grim dawn that I have been working on in secret. Heavily influenced by the Titan Quest mod, nothing stolen from it in the literal sense.

Ah, I see. Do you have a breakdown of what BG did with his mod in the way of changes to the masteries? Some of the changes for the IT version are here

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?board=255.0

But I can give you the non-pet skill changes as well if you’d like. Basically every mastery has at least 2 pet skill trees and sometimes 3 or 4. Most are permanent pets, but some are timed summons.

More pets from devotions - yes please. The more pets the merrier.

Rather than items that summon small pets what BG did was make new MI sets for the classes which have some sort of summons or granted skill. These sets are craftable, but you first have to buy the scrolls for the various pieces at the blacksmith, get the ingredients and then craft them at the enchanter. He also made them slightly different for each Act with different stats. So for example the Alpha (Act 1) Ranger’s Armour has a Summon Dire Wolf which is activated on attack and lives for 30 seconds. Alpha Dreamkiller’s Robe has an Invoke Death Stalker which is activated on taking damage and lives for 30 seconds. Magician’s Armour grants the skill Grenade Trap. The summons don’t change, but the other stats on the set items do.

Have you actually played the mod at all?

If anyone has seen my many rambling posts in the past, you know im bad at writing so Il get that warning out of the way here, and I philosophise a lot in the way I speak all the time, which is off putting for people.

Yes, I was addicted to his mod for many years. I don’t know the in depth stuff, more the general ideas he did. I just kept making lots of new characters to test out things, never played it all the way to the end.

For me it was all about the pets (loved the tank pet), but I do know he did far more than that, and im unsure if they are also a part of what got people so interested. Or if the pets were the main reason and the rest was just sugar on top.

Basically its hard to separate my obsession for pets and what other people viewed in his mod.

I did wonder what peoples ideas were on making each skill tree more defined in their element type, like moving the ravens to shaman and making the shamans pets lightning types. Like he did with nature tree and wolves.

Make occultist more about just chaos and aether etc. I Feel like some of the skills are too broad in their types and its hard to fit things into a build just due to that.

On that side of things, I am very much looking to create pet conversion gear, so pets can fit into any build no matter what element your main skills are. Whether this is going to be an extra on components or not, im not sure, but this is the most obvious way I think. Especially when most components are going to be based around the type of damage your skills deal, but this is also not the main reason people use them (top up resistances, add armor, add unique affects). The other most simple way is to add this onto the gear that contain player damage conversions, like spell casters maces often do, so mirror this to pets.

One thing that I really did not like in his mod was that each skill tree had a huge weakness, skeletons melted to lightning, like instant killed. This for me was a huge annoyance as it felt like your first skill tree had to be able to beat the first act without this weakness screwing you over, which was impossible for some of them. But then that begs the question, should pets have a weakness, is it purely intelligent design that determines their weakness (how the pets skills play out and making them not a passive way to beat a game); or do they need a literal weakness like a negative to lightning resistance, lack of aoe capability, temporary duration or huge investment in skills to make them worthwhile.

i think pets being weak against a certaint type is good thing, it prevent having a immortal pet army , kinda meh that way.

the skelletons are week to fire mostly, but they are immune to poison and vitality, if you picked the earth mastery you can get heat shield that helps/protects agaisnt fire dmg to pets, making more resistance.

its a bit of playing with the elements, making a living world with important roles.

Well, for me it was the pets first and everything else he did later was a bonus. I was a latecomer to pet play, took me a long while to even try them in TQ, but when I did I really enjoyed it and still do. Having the option to play pets with all the TQ masteries was what made me want to try the mod out. Most of my current TQAE characters are LoC ones and over on the TQF forum we even have six hardcore challenges for the mod.

Just wanted to thank you for the link, definitely helped my memory, its been a while. Also helped me with a few ideas I have been juggling, but don’t want to give too much away at this stage.

If anyone else sees this discussion, feel free to just post your opinions on anything to do with mod overhauls, pets, new devotions, items etc.
Anything you can say will be of some help, I will always be biased to my own mind and its good to see what others see when they play these games/mods.

Never played that mod as I am not much into pet builds, in TQ my mages had some pets, but they were the main damage dealer rather than a zookeeper.

When talking of pets I kinda miss that option in GD a bit, here it seems either you focus on them or ignore them (or maybe that is just me), whereas in TQ I had my Lich King and/or Core Dweller around, helping out a bit and taking attention of me a little.
It also helped that I could fully invest in them and still have enough points for all my skills :wink:

The tougher heroes and new bosses part sounds interesting to me, can’t comment on that though

Hey mamba, mind if I pick your brain since you have different opinions which is nice to see. Or anyone else who can be bothered.

Whats your opinion on replacing an active skill with a pet who has that skill? Such as blitz, with a warrior pet who could charge, cleave and taunt.

What about skills that require a pet to be effective, such as when your on 33% health, a pet will gain a huge damage buff and taunt your target. Then you can taunt back off them when you are healed up and buff wears off. Almost like a 2 way tanking setup.

What about chance on hit to summon pets as an extra damage source. Say a 5% chance to summon a ghost warrior, who works just as an extra damage source, maybe a small cleave attack. More points in would increase maximum summons allowed and duration.

Thoughts on current necromancer in grim dawn, the skeletons being randomised and easy to kill. What if there was 3 different skeletons and you could pick the ones you like, either by transmutes or just have all 3 as separate skills. Is it ok to have to keep summoning them, or is it annoying? Are they useful to replace attacking as you are actively summoning them all the time?

Opinions on enemy AOE with regards to decimating pets.

here are my 2 cents regarding TQ pets :wink:

Keep in mind that I do not like pet builds much, I do not like being the sidekick to my summoned army… in TQ I only used them for casters due to the masteries they are in being caster masteries

I like the fact that I can spawn a pet or two (Lich King, Core Dweller, that orb from Storm mastery) and then basically forget about them… they do a bit of damage, they do a bit of taunt and they pretty much never die, while I do what I otherwise would do without them, ie cast my spells

So they help out a bit, imo mostly by taking some focus off me and I otherwise am not bothered with micro-managing them or having my items focus on pet buffs instead of things that are useful for me

For melee I did use timed summons like the Outsider, but that is a take it or leave it thing to me, not a must have. I probably would not invest in them in GD because I feel more strapped for skill points in GD whereas in TQ past level 55 or so, I had everything I wanted / needed but still got points I could ‘waste’ on such skills

Now back to your question, I do not really want to replace a skill with a pet, certainly not a major one like Blitz, but if you add a skill like the Outsider to Soldier, taking that could be an option

What about skills that require a pet to be effective, such as when your on 33% health, a pet will gain a huge damage buff and taunt your target. Then you can taunt back off them when you are healed up and buff wears off. Almost like a 2 way tanking setup.

works for me, kinda feels like how I used them in TQ (apart from the massive taunt boost on low health)

What about chance on hit to summon pets as an extra damage source. Say a 5% chance to summon a ghost warrior, who works just as an extra damage source, maybe a small cleave attack. More points in would increase maximum summons allowed and duration.

depends on how long they stick around I guess. I generally ignore bonuses with 5% chance to do something as they are outside my control and often trigger when I don’t need them, but if the effect is not instantaneous but a spawn, that is different and it can be useful wheras other skills like that I simply rate neutral, ie the item would be just as good/bad without the proc in my evaluation

No thoughts on GD pets, my pet builds are not far enough along for me to have much of an opinion (ie completed Normal with less issues than expected, but then that is Normal, so the real test is still ahead…)

I know nothing has been said about this topic for over a year but I thought I would chime in.

I loved this mod. It is what kept me playing TQ for multiple thousands of hours. (I lost all my stash when a hard drive crashed and I haven’t had it in me to go back to TQ)

I have been looking for a pet focused mod for Grim Dawn ever since I started playing it.

@medea_fleecestealer Do you have any idea how hard it is to import mods from TQ to GD? I assume it is basically completely rewriting it using the GD tools because if it was easy then people would have done this long ago.

Not really Oprington2019, but @ASYLUM101 knows more about it since he’s worked on adding the TQ masteries to his Grimarillion mod. I would guess, since the engines are so different now, that it would be a case of completely rewriting a mod from scratch for GD.

Although they’re not completely pet focused like LoC, i.e. every mastery has one pet at least, both Grimarillion and Dawn of Masteries add a lot more masteries to choose from. Grimarillion has GD and TQIT masteries and also the ones from the mods D3 and Zenith so you have a lot more combos and they do give a fair amount of pet options. DoM has both GD/TQIT, but adds different mod masteries than Grimarillion has. In Grimarilion I have pet classes consisting of Spirit/Necro, Nature/Necro, Nature/Witch Doctor, Necro/D3 Necro. I haven’t even looked at what pet combos I could make with Occultist or Shaman paired with the other masteries yet.

There were a couple of pet based mods here, but sadly they seem to have died and are no longer being worked on.

The biggest issue is that TQ models (items & pets) don’t transfer over easily, they require conversions to function and armor pieces just don’t convert at all, they must be adapted in 3dsmax.

Secondly, items and skills scale very differently in the GD setting. You can transfer the database files for skills and items easily, but the scaling will really not allow you to play properly. Reaching 15k HP in TQ was impossible, reaching 2k% dmg modifier was impossible… in GD it’s normal, in fact, there are builds that go well over these numbers. So you’d have to adjust every skill and item to fit in GD, and trust me when I say it’s very time consuming. A better alternative is to adapt GD items for this purpose instead. (ex, swap +1 Soldier on all items with +1 Defense or something)

Unless you’re planning on doing this work yourself, don’t expect to see it.

Thank you for the quick response on such an old thread. :slight_smile: I appreciate it.