Option to reduce visual clutter: Auras

I’ve seen this mentioned on other forums before: our characters become very hard to see at higher levels once we activate several permanent effects such as auras.

We essentially turn onto walking clouds of multi-colored effects, rendering our actual armor and weapon visuals pointless. The visual effects for many of the auras are excessive for no reason at all. Do I really need a giant red cloud obscuring my character when I’ve got Possession on? I understand why skills such as Sigil need a visual indication marking the target zone, but auras don’t need large, stacking, overly-flash particle clouds. Then you get even more effects plastered all over your character as item procs activate.

Example: my current Cabalist isn’t running a lot of auras and she still looks like three swarms of bees having a paintball fight on a disco floor.

An option to turn off the visual effects on these abilities, or at least turn them down, would allow us to actually see our characters properly at medium/low zoom levels. Apart from being a lot more visually pleasing, it would probably also present a performance gain on lower spec hardware.

Thank you for reading, and for the great work you put in.

1 Like

There’s an option in visual settings, to reduce the density of particle effects. It’s called simply “particles”. Set it to low, they put it in precisely for this reason. It helps a lot with auras and procs, there’s a huge difference in visibility between low and high particle setting.

Hi, I’m aware of that. It’s too general: it affects everything and generally makes the game look worse. I’m specifically talking about the turning the effects that permanently obscure your character off. The effects from activated skills are fine.

I had to turn off post processing because of not being able to see through a lot of the garbage. On one of my chars its so bad I actually removed the aura I didn’t like. I would also like a way turn down spell particles or maybe turn them off so I can see whats going on & see what the monsters are doing better. My particles are already on low & post off because of this. When I turn post off it dims my game I don’t like that.
Thanks for fixing the crash on changing video settings that is working correctly. I learned about turning off post because I have troubles seeing in the void. I would also like a way to make the void more visible I know its suppose to be dark. But peeps like me have trouble I need better contrast to see whats going on.