Particles and textures

Hey everyone.

While playing around with the modding tool I tried to make Inquisitor’s Seal bigger. I managed to figure out how to make the effects’ radius larger, but can’t make the visible sigil on the ground larger. I tried changing “scale” in “actor variables” to a larger number, but it didn’t do anything. One of the changes I made ( not 100% sure which ) had it throw the blue cloudy particle effects farther out.

How can I make the “model” (Model? Mesh? Texture?) for the seal bigger?

You’re looking at it the wrong way. The “model” has no impact on the aura size. You need to find the aura itself and make your radius adjustments there.

No no, you’re mistaken. I’ve already made the aura bigger ; the functional radius of the spell is where I want it now. The problem is that the visual for the spell, the sigil on the ground, is still the same size and I want it to appear bigger. Sorry if I wasn’t clear =)

If you only want to resale the fx then you will need to extract the fx and scale it by hand using the pseditor

Is the sigil graphic a particle? I could be wrong but I was under the impression that it was a mesh, and a quick skim of this tutorial on pseditor tells me that it can’t edit meshes: GUIDE: The PSEditor

Okay, after some snooping around I got it mostly figured out. The mesh is a dummy, just like me, and the circle IS in fact a particle effect. I found it and increased its size, but I’ve run into one more problem I haven’t been able to find an answer for. When I build, AssetManager doesn’t seem to create an arc file, so the resources aren’t getting exported. How do I resolve this?

Did you ‘Auto-Create’ the source file? I ran into that problem once before.

I wanted to change a quest, so I copied the .qst I wanted to change to my mod’s source folder, then made the changes I wanted in the QuestEditor. But I forgot to right click on it and ‘Auto Create’ the asset (which adds it to your resources folder) in Asset Manager. So when I built the mod there was no quests.arc generated.

I’m new to this as well, but I hope that helps. Good luck,

Ah, yep, this was certainly the problem. Following the structure of the example mod in the mods folder, I was putting the files in /resources and not /sources, and thus never made assets of them. But now, of course, I’m run into yet another issue. Most of the resources convert to assets just fine, but the tex files do not. They don’t convert to an asset when I try in the asset manager, and ( obviously ) they don’t compile if I simply copy them to the asset folder directly ( throws an error “Failed to find compiler for asset” ). I kind of need the tex to compile, or else in-game the thing’s just going to be a checkerboard ._.

Yep, I ran into that problem as well when I was trying to merge the Stasher mod with mine :slight_smile:

Copied ‘caravan_windowbackgroundimage.psd’ to MyMod\source\ui\caravan

I loaded my mod in Asset Manager. In the Sources tab I right clicked on the .psd file and selected Auto-Create Asset.

I selected Texture and left it at its default settings:

Texture%20Properties

This step is also incorrect. The correct method is as follows:

I was creating Texture files, when I should have been making Bitmaps. Do you have the source .psd files? Or are they in .tex format?

They’re in .tex format already, yeah. Do I have to convert the .tex files to .psd ( etc ) files and then have them converted again during the build process, or is there a way to use the .tex files that already exist?

I think you just need to Build them again I think.

Go to your Assets tab, right click on each one and ‘Build’. With a bit of luck that should add them to your mod.

Let me know if it works, cause I’d be curious to know :slight_smile:

No dice, unfortunately. It gives the same error:

{Insert filename here}.tex: Not an asset file
Error: Failed to find compiler for asset: {Insert filename here}.tex.

I managed to get the end result I was aiming for through a workaround ( since I just needed to compile the pfx file, I made a new folder called “fx2” and compiled the file on its own, and then pointed the record file to fx2\blahblah instead of fx\blahblah, and everything worked fine. However I’d still, in the interest of knowledge and satisfying my curiousity, like to know if there’s a way to properly address the issue I had.

I’m glad you got it to work :slight_smile:

But I’m like you, I’d like to know how to do it properly as well. I’m trying hard to learn.

Okay, so after some more tinkering I’ve learned some things and run into yet more problems.

First, what I’ve learned. When converting source textures ( psd ) to assets, the texture it makes is not a real texture. It’s a tiny file with a link to the psd file in the source folder. This is likely why trying to use an already-compiled texture in the assets folder fails.

Now, the problem. I’ve created a psd of a new asset I want to add to the game. It’s a rune circle, so it has alpha transparency. I put it in sources, right click it in asset manager and choose to auto create an asset from it. Like Klixen suggested, I tried ‘bitmap’ when I did this ( but I also tried texture and custom texture when that failed ). I right clicked the newly created asset in the next tab over, and chose build.

The issue is that the newly created and built texture doesn’t show what I’ve drawn at all. Without any notable rhyme or reason, it’s either an all black square or an all white square, but never any visible detail of the image I input in the first place. I was tempted to save it as a dds and then convert that to a tex, but oh wait - I can’t use already-compiled textures! I’m kind of at a loss as to what to do.

Bitmap is only for UI elements and skill icons.

Things such as spell fx and ground textures should use the Texture asset type.

All right, noted. Thanks, Zantai. =)

That said, though, neither bitmap nor texture seem to work, so that detail can’t be the cause of my issue. Worth noting, I’ve tried flattening the layers on the psd, and also tried saving it as both 8 bit and 16 bit RGB, but nothing has worked so far.

I’m currently editing the Shaman mastery. I want to try replacing one of the skill icons with my own custom icon. So I’ve been looking for guides and tutorials.

I found this video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DklUbH6tQo&t=1969s

At about 29 mins into the video he starts talking about textures. He uses .tga files as his source files. I’m about to try it. I’ll let you know if it works.

Edit: It worked!

I’ll try to remember what I did step by step.

I copied the .tex files I wanted to change from the Grim Dawn resources folder to my mod’s folder:
Sources/ui/skills/icons/class06/skillicon_totem1up.tex
Sources/ui/skills/icons/class06/skillicon_totem1down.tex

I then used TexViewer.Exe to open the .tex files and re-saved them as .tga (in my mod’s Sources folder).

I opened the .tga files in Photoshop, pasted my custom icons over the top of them, flattened them and clicked Save.

Next I opened my mod in Asset Manager, went to the Sources tab, right clicked each .tga file and selected Auto-Create Asset > Bitmap.

Then I went to the Assets tab, right clicked on each newly created .tex file and selected Build.

Then I tested it in game and it worked! So now I know how to make a new skill icon. :smiley:

I’m not sure if that’s of much help to you, but at least it’s a start.

Please keep me posted on your progress, this is something I’m really interested in and we can help each other with our ‘trails and errors’ (and maybe others who are trying to learn).

Good luck,

Hey, thanks for the update! Here’s one of my own.
I managed to find a system that works that doesn’t require asset manager, since I was having such a hard time with it. I create my graphic in photoshop, save it as a png ( with transparency ), convert it to a DDS file, and then from that to a TEX file, and then I put the tex file in the resources folder and use “archivetool” manually to pack it into a arc file.

After all this, and a bit more tweaking, I got everything looking the way I wanted it to. Take a look!

Click here if the image doesn’t load

That looks fantastic! But damn, what a convoluted way to get it working. Still, if it works, that’s all that matters.

Can I ask for a screenshot of your DDS settings (cause I never know which ones to use).

Well done :smile:

Thanks! =)
I actually just threw the png files into here: https://www.aconvert.com/image/png-to-dds/