Peas vs. preserved vegetables

I’m wondering, since peas and preserved vegetables both have the exact same spoilage time (18 months) and since they both belong to the same food category (vegetable), why should I even bother planting turnips or carrots? I mean, with turnips and carrots, it takes much additional work force to get them preserved (sand->glassware->preserves). So is it worth planting them on the fields?

Peas vs. preserved vegetables, what do you guys think and what’s your experience with those?

root vegetables can be used to feed livestock. peas and beans can’t.

Wait, what? Peas/Beans have always spoiled much faster in my games. The only real reason Root Vegetables spoil in such numbers is because they’re stored in excess in livestock buildings

True. But, I can also feed livestock with grain or hay which has waaay longer spoilage time.

Ooooh, and to put another perspective on this: Hay.
They changed the dynamics of what ist stored in animal production buildings.

Roots: in my opinion are an ok foodgroup, you will need different crops on the field.

2 BIG QUESTIONS:

1. I am not completely sure if you you need Roots AND peas AND cabbage to fullfill the need for vegetables. Or maybe the need is only fullfilled to x% if you only have peas/beans. I have no idea! Does anyone have the answer to that?

2. Regarding preserved vegetables: imagine you have roots which are already like almost 3 month “old” and they get preserved now, will they start at 18 month again? so 21 Months altogether in a best case? Than it’s a basic math problem: Are roots worth the farmers work + sandpit + woodsplitter + coal + glassmaker… And again: they are basicly just vegetables. Do they make the people “more happy” than foraged cabbage?

I think this needs to be explained by crate at some point.

In the end: I just produce preserves because I like the preservist Building and I just like to do stuff in the game. Hey, I am as crazy as to even build barrels.

Have fun

1. I am not completely sure if you you need Roots AND peas AND cabbage to fullfill the need for vegetables. Or maybe the need is only fullfilled to x% if you only have peas/beans. I have no idea! Does anyone have the answer to that?

I think that it suffices to have either of those, i.e. roots OR peas Or cabbage in order to fulfill the need for veggetables. Don’t know for sure, though.

1. Regarding preserved vegetables: imagine you have roots which are already like almost 3 month “old” and they get preserved now, will they start at 18 month again? so 21 Months altogether in a best case? Than it’s a basic math problem: Are roots worth the farmers work + sandpit + woodsplitter + coal + glassmaker… And again: they are basicly just vegetables. Do they make the people “more happy” than foraged cabbage?

This is indeed a reeeally interesting point I never thought about before! Cause if it would be 21 months, preservables would acquire a completely different level of relevance!

I think this needs to be explained by crate at some point.

Yeah! @Zantai can you enlighten us there? :slight_smile:

In the end: I just produce preserves because I like the preservist Building and I just like to do stuff in the game. Hey, I am as crazy as to even build barrels.

Totally get you there, mate :slight_smile: :+1:

I’m having a problem where my herders are stocking barns with roots and grains predominantly, and only occasionally stocking the hay which I have in great quantity going to rot in storehouse. This depletes the available food stores for my population… if only they would prioritize stocking the hay first, which only the animals consume, and afterwards leaning into stocks of grain and roots when the hay is gone.

I think it’s because the hay is stored farther away (just barely) from the barns than the root cellar is, and lazy rabble that they are, herders just take whatever comes to hand first.

The granary really should accept hay in addition to grain. My granaries are much closer to barns and it makes sense that hay would store well in there along with the grains. I think this would be a handy solution.

Hay will get more priortisation in the next patch. Meanwhile build a storehouse near your barns and untick all the boxes except for the hay one; that will get your villagers to move hay to that one. Also untick hay in all your other storehouses where you don’t want it stored.

Yeah, that’s also the quick solution I’ve been using