Personal NPC and LORE inspired fantasy character builds

Duckling’s naughty behaviour is getting worse by the day!

I was summoned to Homestead by Captain Somers for a strategy discussion.
Ducking decided that hissing and threatening poor Haruuv was a fun thing to do.

Maybe having a private word with Captain Somers could give me some helpful advice as I am sure she has to deal with many insubordinate and ill behaved troops from time to time?

I mean, look at him now … he has climbed the stairs and is ready to pounce on Haruuv.

One sharp loud command from the Captain of “HEEL HERE NOW” seemed to have done the trick and Duckling was sitting by my side, and for once, behaving himself.

While Jane’s fighting skills were increasing as she ventures further and further into the ongoing battle, she now realised that the power of command and leadership was also going to be an important factor in her development, thanks to Captain Somers.

2 Likes

Dude! That’s awesome! What ability is that from?

1 Like

It is the Siegebreaker shield.

I also have stashed a Mythical version of it when I am ready …

Where have you been, sabbatical, on holiday or something?

You just sort of went quiet, concerned as the Grim Dawn character deaths also happen to us old gamers in real time from time to time as well without any warning (one shot by life :skull_and_crossbones:)

Nice to see you back on line.

3 Likes

Yeah I got waaaay distracted by the big update, then got a decent promotion at work, and the longer hours and added responsibilities started to infringe on my gametime. It’s taken some time, but I’m slowly working my way back to what’s really important- finishing the sagas of my classless builds.

I’ve realized I’ll have to take a minimalist approach in order to balance everything out and make the most of the time I have that I’m able to play. From now on, my posts on this thread are likely to be only a few paragraphs with only a few photos.

I’ve missed being a part of this journey, and am glad to be able to dip my toes back in! Thank you for welcoming me back, old friend!

1 Like

…cracks knuckles…Chooz want we should a talk to ya boss? :wink:

Welcome back.

2 Likes

And if that don’t work, then we can send a crew in to rip out the guts of his PC and leave the stark empty casing next to him in his bed when he wakes up.

I think this tactic has done the trick a few times before (no movies mentioned though) :busts_in_silhouette:

2 Likes

The last thing Thormane remembered he had been battling toe to toe with the biggest baddest beastkin he’d ever seen; BLOODFEAST, the ruthless. He couldnt recall the outcome of the fight, but clearly he survived. He had no recollection, however, of how he’d arrived in Homestead, and who had donated the custom built shield and mace in his possession.

20200131201236_1

The people of the settlement regarded him with mystic adoration as he walked freely along its battlements, tracing his thoughts back trying to remember what happened… Without intending it, he found himself standing on an elevated walkway overlooking the entrance to the settlement where Black Legion soldiers stood guard.

Overhearing the troubles a localized Aetherial Amalgamation was causing, he took it upon himself to put his new gear to rightful use, purging the monster from its nest deep in the gruesome harvest. The new armaments proved fit for the task, his mace battering the beasts limbs and heads aside before plunging through its chest meat in ragged tearing stripes, sending viscous fluids pouring from its belly.

Mortally wounded, the Amalgamation staggering before him, Thormane drove the kill-strike down with ferocious velocity, flattening the horror and putting an end to its brief sojourn in Cairn.

Wasting no time at all, Thormane passed back through the settlement of Homestead caked in Aetherial vitae, now loosed upon the horrors of Cairn like an avenging arrow shot from Empyrion’s own longbow. He made for the Cults of Cthon. He would silence their heretical chanting and remove their unclean presence from Darkvale. His new shield made short work of their cultists, shrugging off their magics and pulverizing their bones as he dashed into battle, the bodies of the zealots crashing against the bulwark like waves on a rocky coast. Shockwaves from the impacts causing the stone underfoot to heave and crack like ice.

20200131195857_1

20200131195914_2

What had these cultists done… The horrors unleashed upon corpses of the innocents almost too obscene to bear…

Thormane would pay them back in kind, and soon… This madness was unforgivable!

3 Likes

@MikeHeydon, I just hit level 40 and am heading into Darkvale and beyond. Any recommendation for Chaos res? I dont have the black tallow blueprint yet.

@Knife at 40 you can potentially get some equipment with chaos res on it. You could also try a Sanctified Bone if you’ve got the blueprint for that.

I have literally nothing. Ive never done Hardcore aside from the builds I have posted about in here, of which none of them have made it past level 40, or gotten to Darkvale. This is 100% new territory for me and I am not using Stash. I refuse to. The challenge to me will lose all flavor once I dip into a resource like that for anything. I need to fight my way to glory, death of character after death of character, slowly gaining more resources and gear over time, almost as if the game is a rogue-lite.

I have resorted to pausing the main campaign, and running bounties. This is already proving to provide me with some valuable things, such as…

Are you doing it classless as well? If so, then absolutely you will need to take breaks at certain points just to farm stuff. I did my original classless run and I’d only had one other HC character. I needed to constantly farm mats, look for pieces to fill holes stuff like that.

If you don’t have the Sanctified Bone blueprint, I’d just farm gear and also since you’re near the end of Act 3 maybe do chest runs of 1-3 and some boss kills to try and drop more blueprints.

Have fun, it’s a hell of a ride.

2 Likes

Having seen the grotesque butcheries the cult of Cthon carried out in Darkvale, Thormane’s purpose began to change. His mission up till now, to find his lost hammer, and to locate Frederick Longshore… Forgotten.

There was a greater threat abound here. Lokarr would need to know, and so Thormane’s search became instead for a means to contact Lokarr. He would need evidence of this newfound threat. Sadly, his intelligence on the operations of the cult were quite lacking. He decided to consult the settlements, each of them would have valuable intelligence. He would start at the beginning, At the very bottom, slaying the degenerate zealots one by one, piling their corrupted corpses high. He would build a massive stairway out of their rotting remains and climb it, ascending into the upper echelons of their hierarchy, and topple it. He would bring them down in a cascade of crumbling rubble.

And so he began again.

At the crossing;

Heres one way to make an entrance;

The nearest sentry slashes out but the blow is deflected, and returned in kind on the larger threat looming behind the sentry with a killing thrust, sending the voidspawn into a hellish interdimensional descent, back beneath the earth

Thormane shows the cultists no quarter, slaying all in sight. A swift backhand from his shield explodes 2 cultists in a shower of gore, the violent incorporeal energies of the armament wild and unruly, causing an eruption of water to materialize as he turns his wrath upon the next 2 nearest zealots.

Whirling around like a cyclone, Thormane deftly deflects an inbound acid projectile from a cultist behind him, sending it directly into the chest of the cultist blocking his path

No one is safe. He rams the poorly organized rabble, his shield arm pressing out forcing the weight of their bodies up off the ground to fall to the earth several feet away, or exploding with isolated tidal waves of roiling energies imbued into the barricade

The cultists slain, he searches the nearby area for any clues of the blood-drinker, Caspis… These poor souls…

20200201143959_1

…Whats this?

Surely Caspis is inside…

My god… What could they possibly be trying to do with all this blood… A chill terror began to creep along Thormane’s mind. So much blood told a very certain tale that whatever was being done down here was serious and likely powerful.

In the next room, Thormane met the answer face to face…

Salazar was a known and feared cultist. He spared no time before unleashing his demonic powers upon Thormane, attempting to bind him in a sigil using a thrall, and consume his life spirit. Thormane grappled with the energies, shouting and writhing, throwing his limbs wide and chaotically, he managed to escape the binding ritual and smashed the thrall away, fully engaging the blade of Cthon.

20200201145231_3

The energies inside Thormane’s shield buzzed with electrified angst, and crackled into splashing tiers like a small Tsunami on impact, rolling over the cursed sorcerer in waves as though they were being directed by each swing of Thormane’s mace.

Before the waters had time to receed, Salazar was on the offense again, his outstretched hands giving birth to a beam of hellish light. Thormane screamed in defiance, cutting down hard with his mace, absorbing the energies in the beam and redirecting them into Salazar’s abdomen

As Salazar fell, Thormane saw the blade he wielded… He had seen it before, somewhere, long ago… He could not recall when it had been, or where… But he knew he had to claim it for himself. It was his destiny.

With Salazar neutralized, Thormane resumed his pursuit of Caspis. At the top of a stairwell, he was met by a throng of cultists who seemed all too happy to rush headlong into their deaths. Thormane granted them this wish…

As he powered through the crowd, he saw a figure matching the description or Caspis… Wearing a Skinflayer Raiment… His predatory urge and blackmiths fortitude rushed to the fore, seizing the opportunity, the focused the energies of his shield and released a powerful concentrated blast of water. The fluid crashed across the room, smashing furnitures and bodies alike

20200201145755_1

“NOT SO FAST!” Thormane shouted, dashing after Caspis, disrupting his escape. Caspis spun around, sending his weapon screaming at Thormane’s head in a desperate panic. Thormane ducked and swung in low, delivering a finishing strike to the blood-drinker

Regrettably, Thormane was unable to save the final prisoners from Caspis’ heinous crimes… But at least the bastard was dead.

2 Likes

Yeah classless, otherwise wouldnt be a problem. Its actually really cool because so many aspects of the game become a lot more relevant playing classless.

1 Like

These are the 3 pieces of gear I used until I found better stuff. I can’t remember if I found,crafted or purchased them.

Not the greatest of gear, but they do give some early needed resistances and are relatively easy to come across.

I eventually went Herald’s set which with 2 piece gives 15% to both Aether and Chaos resistance. Easy to find and also the Empowered versions are also nice early upgrades which give a generouse 25% for 2 piece

2 Likes

Yeah, I did a combination of things and now have 80% on all resistances except for cold (79%) and Aether (0%). Was using heralds helm but don’t have the other pieces so I switched to the full Perdition set instead and rearranged some devotions. Thormane is now a highly armored acid retaliation style guy. Will post the build later today. I took care of karroz without much trouble unfortunately now I have to put together a different armament manifold that provides Aether res, cuz I’m on that Armory quest. Haha!

I’ll keep the Perdition setup in the stash while I design a new anti-aether layout.

1 Like

I’ll have to pull the direct link from the save file, but for now as I am away from my gaming computer, here is the build;

Devon Thormane, Apprentice Smith of Lokarr

LOL - I have seen that bounty often and skipped it as I had no idea where Caspis was hiding. If he does does actually reside in Salazar’s dungeon, then that is one to add to my bounty list. I mean Salazar and Caspis on one run - what a pleasure.

1 Like

He does and it makes for great farming. I’m hoping to repeat it several times and collect some more of Salazar’s blades as I know their needed to craft at least a couple things.

1 Like

I’m starting to wonder if I use the relic that enables dual wielding (blueprint purchasable in devil’s crossing), and I dual wield them… can I summon 2 Salazar’s Harbingers?

I see you already figured the Perdition set out being a godsend for a classless build. Just an FYI, the Guardsman set works well for this too as your leveling up.

1 Like