Pet Builds in Grimarillion - A Full Guide

This is the power of god!!!:p:p:p

Considering all the classes in this mod, I have ZERO idea what gear I should eventually get for Earth/Nature (currently lvl49 starting Act 2 Veteran). Guessing I can always use GD Stash to change in later difficulties but for now Core Dweller is an almost unstoppable tank.

Decided to go with Earth/Occultist as my pet build. 2 pets that both deal fire damage, Curse of Frailty to debuff and Blood of Dreeg to heal and well as Bonds of Bysmiel and Manipulation to buff pets.

Are there seriously names for every single possible mastery combo?

Are there seriously names for every single possible mastery combo?

Yes, it was a massive project, and just think - there’s still like 10 slots or so for more masteries. Thankfully the community pitched in for most of it.

Just wow. And there are already 29 masteries in the mod (and gonna have to come up with even more named once Forgotten Gods drops). Just how many possible mastery combo’s are there? It is fun to play Titan Quest masteries in Grim Dawn (I loved Core Dweller and its taunt aura).

Glad you’re enjoying the TQ masteries. Total combos uhh… it’s around 400ish I think…

That is absolutely insane. It is very interesting to see people approximate Diablo 3 classes here in Grim Dawn since over there you get rail-roaded into certain skills based on the set you use. And you’ll still need to add least 30 more names once Forgotten Gods drops in a few months.

Edit:And I just realized its gonna be a major PITA to put together the right gear, components and augments for my Firelord (still love that combo name)since GrimTools isn’t compatible with Grimarillion.

So hard to try and come up with the right gear for Occultist/Earth build. Shepherd of Lost Souls set would allow a second Hellhound but most of the set bonuses and individual skill bonuses are wasted since the set is mostly for Cabalist.

Yeah, you will have to mix and match uniques. You can use the satyr crafter to get specific earth bonuses to fill the gaps and use occultist gear for other stuff.

There are no items that are for mixing masteries from different mods (or vanilla GD). You won’t find a Occultist/Earth set, and I don’t plan on supporting such things. That is beyond the scope of possibility. Remember how we discussed how many combo possiblities there were? Yeah… I’m not interested in making 400 unique sets, which would be something like what, 2000 items for 5 piece sets? And that is if I do 1 set per class, of course there are many ways for a mastery to be played so…

PASS.

Yeah, I’m attempting to mix and match stuff. The only granted pet skill I can find is still the Grimoire of Og’Napesh Unique caster off0hand. I liked the lvl35 relic that gave the wyvern but I would have loved for it to have been a permanent pet rather then constantly resummoning it. Managing to hit lvl73 while still on Veteran (kinda cheesing it with the XP potion from Ashes of Malmouth) means I’ll mostly have to make due with uniques unless I use GDStash to get the gear I need.

Edit:I really do need experienced help with this. Except for resists (which I’ll do once I hit Elite and Ultimate), have only managed to hit about 11.3K HP

Where do i begin im only 35 but this build has crazy potential especially if u invest in farming scraps early on and can use the satyr to make +1 champion gear with +1 accessories u can hit +8 on champions skills my pets are already sitting at 23/16 and 16/10 on (with reckless abandon) … whats makes it even more boss is that all the buffs are 8/8 which means u only are investing one one point to cap them… just madness the way im mowing shit down on grim . i havent even started using my devotion points yet as im not sure my path just yet but just wanted to pop in nice job…

Trying my hand at the Witch Doctor + Storm, lack of Grimtools makes it really hard to come up with the proper gear. Any chance you could list all the items you used? And some of the gear doesn’t even show up in Grimtools like the rings you talked about in the description in the other thread.

If you’re going the same route as me, go for either Lightning or Aether and do 2H auto-attack depending on how good your weapon is. Legion Warblade is the fastest 2H weapon you can guarantee as a faction, otherwise just find any good Lightning / Aether sword you can get. After you get Finger of Boreas, rush the Champion Mastery. The last passive on the bottom row is the one that has the 500% Weapon Damage, so you can either cap that or go for the pets.

Devotion route for starters is:
Crossroads Primordial
Imp
Hawk
Eel or Sailor’s Guide
Kraken
Widow (or do Widow/Kraken depending on whether you need damage or RR

Combine the Kraken constellation with great passives and 2H autoattack and you’ll be golden.

Unfortunately, Grimtools is not compatible with mods, otherwise I’d just upload my builds through there. I will put an equipment list for all my builds in the posts themselves, I just have to sit down and make the lists (and stop thinking of new builds to tests first ;))

Here are the items I used:
Head, Chest, Off-hand, Gloves, and Pants: Mythical Zunimassa Set
Shoulders and Boots: Mythical Fiendflesh Mantle / Boots respectively
Belt: Mythical Voidmancer’s Belt (to give pets extra Lightning damage + Resistance)
Rings: Black Pearl Rings (made at the Satyr)
Amulet: Polaris (Chosen for +1 to All Skills, Elemental Resistance and Skill Energy Cost reduction, if you can’t get it, craft Black Pearl Pendant at the Satyr as that also gives you Elemental Resistance and +1 to All Skills)
Weapon: Kwan Yin’s Final Mercy (Chosen for +2 to Storm Mastery and extra +2 to the Wisp’s extra skill). Other weapons you can choose include Silence, Rimescythe, or the EarthShaker. The first two are swords in case you can’t get enough Cunning to equip the spear while having enough DA, and EarthShaker is another spear that gives you +2 to Storm.
Medal: Satyr Craft, +1 to Storm prefix and “of the Wild” for suffix
Relic: Bysmiel’s Domination with 3% DA bonus

New Ring component is Royal Topaz that also has Energy Cost Reduction. Ugdenbog Leather is a pain to craft, but nothing beats it when it comes to giving you Resistances + DA. Seal of Might, Purified Salt and Imbued Silver are the remaining components for Weapon + Rings. Augments go for whatever patches your resistances, I use mine to patch up Aether, Chaos and Pierce.

FYI those 2 swords (rimescythe and silence) don’t actually drop… those are WIP items that I started before AOM are probably to be completely different when I actually work on them (should be soon) with AOM bonuses (item modifiers). I recently drafted up a plan for these swords so they will probably be added in after the next update. If you want to discuss these items you can send me a PM about them, what you like about them, what you would like to see them for, etc.

Witch Doctor+Storm actually seems stronger then my Occultist+Earth (probably cause I don’t have some of the right pieces) but there’s way too many auras and skills, plus re-summoning the Zombie Dogs and Fetish Army all the time.

I’ve been messing around with a lightning pet build. The base is sigatrev’s Deceiver build:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76155
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/8NKBeLWZ

The second mastery is Storm instead of Inquisitor, for a very nice addition to the pet damage and a cool invincible aura pet. The ravens hit like a truck.

The second pet build I tried was a WitchDoctor / Nature. It’s almost unfair how strong this is. You literally have an army under your control. The WitchDoctor set is quite nice.

These are interesting pet builds but I’m guessing many aren’t intended for the Grimmest version?

Every build I test is designed for Ultimate Grimmest - if you’re asking what I think you’re asking, some builds are better designed to play a different build up through Ultimate (or until you have enough skill points) and then respec when obtain equipment / skills that your build is reliant on. Something like Riftstalker + D3 Skellies is something you need to wait until you have enough points to get the 100% Physical to Aether conversion before you try adding Riftstalker to the mix (or even just get it for the buffs / passives and then go for the other skills when you get the conversion). Once you get it, though, you’ll plow through even Grimmest content with ease.

The hybrid pet/player builds are more challenge builds than anything, but even then they can go up through at least Log on Ultimate Grimmest (and that includes Hidden Path - Mad Queen is a favorite of mine for build testing purposes). The squishier builds may have a more challenging time on AoM Nemeses, but I can only test so much that I’m likely only going to take my favorite builds out of the 20 or so that I post through AoM + Lokarr. The others are either challenge builds or prompts for Crate / mod devs to buff underwhelming equipment or classes.

I have write-ups for my 3 Riftstalker builds, but I’m going to hold off posting them until I finalize their equipment to make sure I maximize their efficiency and that I’m not relying on too much on OP equipment in the event things like Eurydice’s Wedding Bands get nerfed. Like I did for Storm, one will be standard pet build, one will be hybrid pet + player, and one will be full-player build.

Patch 1.0.7.0 came and went with nothing interesting for classic summoners. All the new green gear with conversion definitely opens up a few exciting options for player-scaled pets, however. Sadly, the changes to Barrelsmith guns and Fleshwarped Shard no longer giving bonuses to Reap Spirit totally nuked two of my builds, but the remaining builds look to be unscathed. I’m definitely excited to try out the new Raise the Dead.

Come see my build compendium for full write-ups of the Riftstalker builds. If you’re having a hard time seeing my pictures or need more clarification on things, please let me know and I’ll see how I can edit my posts.

Just wanted to say thank you so much for this guide! i’m very new to the game and with how steep the learning curve is, even for vanilla, I was feeling overwhelmed and hesitant to do much of anything. This guide and info is a godsend. You rock!