Pet Resistance Cap Bug and the Current State of Pet Survivability

I want to bring up something I recently discovered regarding pet resistances, because I believe it has much bigger implications for pet balance than it may initially seem.

For a very long time, everyone assumed that pets followed the same resistance cap as players: 80%. Apparently, that assumption was wrong.

Pet resistance cap has actually been 100%

On the live version, pet resistances can effectively go all the way to 100%.

The character sheet and GT may display pet resistances as if they were capped at 80%, but resistance above 80% still works. If you manage to push a pet to 100% resistance against a certain damage type, the pet can effectively become immune to that damage type.

In other words:

Displayed pet resistance cap: 80%
Actual functional pet resistance cap: 100%

I have tested this directly.

SR 80 - Skeleton Cabalist with 100% all pet res (including physical res)

Full Altar Uber Nerfatal - Skeleton Cabalist with 100% all pet res (including physical res)

GT link: Cabalist, Level 100 (GD 1.3.0.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
(BTW, Conjurer is much easier to achieve 100% physical res, example. I use Cabalist just for skeletons.)

What makes this particularly interesting is that this does not appear to be a recent bug. As far as I can tell, it has existed for many years. I went back and checked some videos from much older versions of the game, and the same behavior seems to have existed at least 6–7 years ago. Diviner’s Vision Set is most representative case. If pet resistance cap is 80%, Spirits can easily die for non-pet builds. But the opposite is true, even those who do not pay attention to pets at all, Spirits only die from enemies with RR skills.

I just discovered/realized this recently. I strongly suspect that very few players were actually aware of it. And that is where the balance implications become important.

Every historical pet build has, to some extent, benefited from this bug

Pet builds have always been balanced around their actual performance in the game, not some paper numerical values. But if this bug has existed for most of Grim Dawn’s history, then historical pet balance was also indirectly built around it. Nobody needed to consciously exploit anything. Players did not even need to know the bug existed.

If a build happened to overcap a pet resistance beyond 80%, the additional resistance was silently helping the pet survive. This means that when we looked at pets such as Briarthorns, Hellhounds, Familiars, Blight Fiends, etc. and concluded that their survivability was good — sometimes extremely good — part of that survivability may have come from resistance values that everybody assumed were doing nothing. In practice, pet builds have therefore been benefiting from this bug for years without realizing it.

Skeletons are obviously the major exception here, because their survivability has always been much more fragile to begin with.

Unexpected changes

The funny part is that I had already planned to report this. I recorded several test videos yesterday and was going to make a bug report after doing a little more testing.

Then the latest playtest patch arrived. And to my surprise, this bug appears to have been fixed. Pet resistances now seem to properly stop at 80%. As far as I can tell, this change was not mentioned in the changelog. I was honestly very surprised that the issue was found internally, because it has apparently existed for so many years and is extremely difficult to notice unless you specifically design a test around resistance values above 80%.

Still, fixing the bug itself is completely reasonable. The problem is what happens when this fix is combined with the other pet survivability changes.

Fixing this bug is already a very large survivability nerf

The current playtest already contains several changes intended to reduce pet durability. But I think the resistance cap fix is much more significant than most of the individual numerical adjustments. And more importantly, these changes are not independent. The old pet balance was created under conditions where this bug existed. The game was balanced based on how pet builds actually performed, and their actual performance was unknowingly benefiting from resistances above the supposed 80% cap.

So if the bug is now fixed, that removes a hidden source of survivability that has effectively been part of the pet ecosystem for years. Adding other survivability nerfs on top of that risks overcorrecting the problem. I think this is something that needs to be considered very carefully. If the 100% resistance bug is fixed, then perhaps some of the other survivability reductions should be smaller, or in some cases additional compensation may even be necessary.

Without this bug, some boss abilities become much more dangerous to pets. One reason this matters so much is that pets cannot avoid dangerous attacks in the same way players can. A player can reposition, dodge ground effects, react to telegraphed attacks, and deliberately avoid Sunder abilities.

Pets frequently cannot.

  • They stand in ground effects.
  • They get hit by Sunder attacks.
  • They remain in dangerous AoE abilities.

And because of that, sufficiently high resistance has historically been one of the things that allowed them to survive mechanics that a player would normally avoid rather than tank. If pets were unknowingly reaching 85%, 90%, 95%, or even 100% resistance to certain damage types, that was an enormous defensive advantage. Remove that advantage, and some abilities that previously looked harmless to pets suddenly become extremely dangerous. This is especially noticeable with certain Sunder abilities and ground effects.

I provided a detailed calculation comparison in my reply.

Pet survivability after the fix

I want to be careful here because I have not tested enough builds yet to make a definitive statement about every major pet archetype. For the stronger pets, like Briarthorn and Hellhound, the situation may still be manageable. For example, in SR 36–37, my Beastcaller Conjurer still shows that pet builds can look extremely dominant against most individual bosses. In a clean 1v1 situation, pets may take very little damage. Vine is an exception, he can easilly kill Briarthorn and Hellhound. A few others bosses can sometimes kill pets or deal heavy damage to pets in 1v1, but the impression is not that profound.

However, the situation changes significantly facing with large groups of heroes and mobs, or when combinations of Nemesis together with some heroes. I am now seeing Briarthorns and Hellhounds die with noticeable regularity in those situations.

So I do not think the answer is simply “pets are still immortal” or “pets are now too weak.” The situation is more complicated than that, and it needs broader testing. But the resistance cap change is large enough that I think the entire survivability picture needs to be reevaluated with this bug no longer present.

Skeletons are where I think the problem becomes much more obvious. They were already fragile before this change. Removing the hidden benefit from resistances cap hits them much harder than it hits naturally tanky permanent pets.

Conclusion

In the end, I am not arguing that the 100% resistance cap bug should remain in the game. It is clearly a bug and fix it makes sense.

My concern is that its historical impact should be taken into account when evaluating the rest of the pet changes. This bug has likely been contributing to pet survivability for many years. That means removing it is not just a technical correction. From a balance perspective, it is a major systemic nerf. If the goal of the playtest is to reduce pets from “nearly indestructible” to something more reasonable, then I think the resistance cap fix itself may already accomplish a large part of that goal. Other survivability nerfs should therefore be evaluated again with the corrected 80% resistance cap in place, rather than simply stacked on top of it.

I will continue testing more pet builds, but I wanted to bring this up now. Hidden changes like this not being mentioned in the changelogs are honestly very frustrating, especially when they can have such a major impact on balance and testing.

17 Likes

i’m so confused by this
I always assumed Wraiths were uniquely scaled around having 100 res, being the intended and only base immortal pet pet. With some weird outliers of 500 “thematic” res on dog or briar
But if the functional cap always was 100 for every res for every pet, how on earth have certain pets been taking the dmg they did, was that just phys dmg and or enemy RR doing it all along these years?

And regarding Wraiths, what will come of them when their res gets nuked and they’re no long immortal, but as fragile as skeletons without the burst dmg or summon :thinking:

True thing, this changes a lot, and put a big hole on pet survivability —— which is very hard to deal.
Maybe leave the resistance cap of pet at 95% was a simple solution. Let the damage taken remain close to the old versions, while taking down the ability of “Immortal”(100% resistance). That would be minor change. Otherwise, big moves may be required.

Yes, all because enemy RR and physical damage, and percent life reduction attack. All these years since version 1.1.9.0.

1 Like

And this might also be the reason why Callagdra is the only superboss that was able to kill pet very quickly right? Not even Uber could kill pet that fast

1 Like

Everyone should pay more attention to testing Ritualist and Cabalist pet builds. These two builds are likely to be affected more significantly by this change.

Agree, and so is bysmiel raven conjurer since raven is not very tanky as well. I also believe that Cold Wolf Mystic is also affected but in less extent since you can almost summon the wolves instantly. Due to this change, we might have to switch into unstable anomaly ghol instead due to them being easy to resummon should one dies.

All pet use the same mechanism, unless devs give Wraiths an additional passive for extra max res. And you can found this passvie in GT. I searched some old videos, and confirmed Wraiths only loss health facing with RR enemies. But now, all enemies can hurt Wraiths.

2 Likes

Short vid but i think this shows cabalist pets survivability right now (without tdm potion, still absolutely horrible)

5 Likes

Hmm, need to change gear now
First time since I played this game, skeleton facing the risk of being wiped clean by ravager at ultimate and 0 altar.

This explains so much for me, it has happened many times in the past I was completely mindblown by the survivability of some pet builds that on paper had almost the same pet defenses as my own or worse, but were much more resistant to attacks from celestials.

I hate stat waste so my hybrid pet builds are almost always capped neatly around 80%,
I never realized this was why they were performing so poorly vs celestials.

Since all builds will now basically have the defenses that I am used to, I expect this to be a massive nerf to survivability. So much so that not just all other HP nerfs need to be reverted but also many additional buffs are needed.

3 Likes

I don’t understand.

Pets never had the 80% resistance cap by design and not as a bug.

Example - Sundered Wraith - Grim Dawn Pet Database
Briarthorn should practically be immune to acid - Briarthorn - Grim Dawn Pet Database

Ravens also had 100% resistance across the board and that was changed during FG release because I showed they were effectively immortal vs Callagadra.

Does this mean that Zantai stealth nerfed pets across the board?

Because if this was a bug, it was known since AoM.

2 Likes

If there are designed no 80% cap, how do you explain Eye of Dominion gives 5% max res? And Light of Empyrion also have 5% max pet res before v1.2.

If max cap is 100%, wouldn’t Eye just give 105% as new max?

Regardless -

Seems to be something present in game from Alpha actually :sweat_smile:.

And would be weird for Zantai to know Ravens had it and not check other pets as well.

1 Like

It is fixed now, and capped at 80%. All enemies can hurt Sundered Wraith and Briarthorn can be poisoned now.

that’s why i mentioned wraiths specifically and briar/dog thematic mono res
It makes no sense to have wraiths with 100 base res, if it was not meant to apply and effectively be equal skeleton squish and get vaporized instantly after being summoned all these years :sweat_smile:
Meanwhile why bother having 500 acid res, if it’s purely for GT show and in effect just results in 80+420 overcap :thinking:

2 Likes

@Zantai

Sorry for the ping, but it appears that my world may be on fire and you are the only one who can help…

Can you shed some light on this?

Because it is not in the patch notes and if this is true, then that feels like a pretty heavy blow to pet survivability and the most important one.

2 Likes

It make sense when enemy has very high RR. For example, you added 80% res for skeletons, then the wraiths had 180%. Anasteria had 50% RR before and made skeletons to 40% but wraiths to 90%. Over capped res can be used to counteract RR.

Yea, it is 80+420 now.
Here is a 500+512 overcapped res, the vitality res.

I may not have explained something clearly. Use nofika’s build as an example, GT shows pet chaos res is 80+82 over cap, and in-game charater sheet shows 80. But in fact, it is 100+62 over cap.

  • Skeletons have 0% base chaos res, meaning 100+62 before, but 80+82 now.
  • Raven has 25% base chaos res, meaning 100+87 before, but 80+107 now.

Both skeletons and raven were immune to chaos damage before, but not the case now.

1 Like

Then weird why the UI always gets stuck at 80%

wait you knew about this all this time, no wonder your pet builds were so good :rofl:

2 Likes