Physical damage so far (April 3rd - 6th update)

So after some incessant whining constructive feedback Physical damage got an unprecedented amount of new toys and positive changes. Here are my impressions from playing some Physical builds.

I will be adding more builds as I test them.

1) Warborn Death Knight Death Knight, Level 100 (GD 1.2.0.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (21% phys res in-game)

Notable changes:

NEW!

Feel amazing! It doesn’t have top dog single target damage (but it’s still very respectable) but it maintains the same damage against packs with very hard hitting and fast recharging Cadence hits. Physical resist is still build’s tankiness bottle neck but it compensates for that with high DA and high Armor. Overall feels like a great build, I don’t think Cadence ever felt so good.

2) Blitz Warlord

Chains of Anguish version: Warlord, Level 100 (GD 1.2.0.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
Normal belt version: Warlord, Level 100 (GD 1.2.0.5) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Notable changes:
Physical resist in-game: 43% (down from 83%)

NEW!

I think right now build feels mostly balanced. It lost its appeal as Celestial Crusher (before it negated Callagadra and Ravager due to its Physical resist cap) but with the direction that Celestial fights have moved (Sunder is just too oppressive and you have to move around anyway) I think it’s okay.

I still feel like some items/affixes weren’t properly compensated for nerfs they endured, namely Collosal Grasp gloves and Overseer’s prefix.

3) Avenger Archon

Current phys res: 35% (down from ~64%)

Notable changes:

NEW!

Still overall a huge net loss in this patch. I think if you cut its Physical resist in half you can’t at the same cut its damage. Either give it a bit more damage but leave the Physical resist change or cut its Physical resist but give it its damage back.

4) Ranged Warlord

So this one got the same buffs to its adtch which is great and even

But the problems still persist: damage is not enough to justify build’s relative glassiness: just 11% phys res and 2900 armor.

Will add more builds later

Suggestions (so far)

- Cadence main skill still needs more. There should be an extra tdm modifier for 2H cadence.

- Physical devotion map and items lack adtch. With means of passive defenses being taken away physical builds need help with sustain.

- Nerfs to damage on Avenger should be reverted (including previous patch nerfs). It’s the only viable 2H AA/WPS archetype and its damage is far from op to begin with. Set should also be compensated for the loss of phys res.

- Octavius Paladin needs more support from items. Ugdenbog Repeater could use a second mod to Rune of Kalastor and set could give an extra projectile to rune as well.

NEW!

- Colossal Grasp gloves should get a higher compensation for phys res loss (maybe higher AS or CS)

- Overseer’s should get a bit more for phys res loss (maybe Healing effects or %Block Chance)

5 Likes

I propose “+5% block chance” on Mythical Colossal Grasp: fits nicely on shied-theme item and does not make a build overpowered due to it.

1 Like