Pierce Tactician 2h Ranged - Need help!

Grim tools link here: [Tactician, Level 24 (GD 1.1.9.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator]

Ok, here is the deal. My idea was to make a Pierce 2h ranged Tactician. Although progress has not been bad, it is super SLOW! I feel I lack an AOE type of damage. Cadence is fine, and passing through enemies does get me some AOE, but that’s too limited.

I know I could go full Inquisitor, leaving soldier for buffs and auras and focusing on artifacts or elemental damage, but I really wanted to make my first idea work, specially because my last build was a Purifier heavily reliant on Flames of Ignaffar, Rune of Kalastor and Aura of Censure, so I didn’t want to repeat builds.
Could you make any suggestions on improving?

P.S.: I realize I don’t have augments or components on yet, I will get them as I progress in the game. I also have a shared stash that helps me with some items and potions for +100% experience, etc.

1 Like

A few questions:

• you have an end-goal build objective?
  • do you have a leveling plan?
  • are you restricted to leveling within a certain idea?

I ask because often leveling can be easier using a different “playing style” than what you are envisioning near the end.

If you are not stuck on a leveling plan: you could change your defensive devotion to a more offensive devotion (Bull, Tsunami, etc.). At low levels the damage type doesn’t impact so much due to equipment restrictions. More damage can speed up progress. Dev changes cost crystals, though.

Some component/item skills can also be used to add more damage, depending.

You’re going to use Word of Pain eventually for Resistance Reduction, might as well use it now.

@tqFan that’s a good point

@hammyhamster1 I think you showed me my real problem: I’m trying to use end game build in a moment the char is simply not ready for it (I can’t get the Valdun set until 75, for instance). That’s probably the main reason I’ve been feeling frustrated.
The answer is to invest in what I need for now and then respec in the future. Oh well.

Thank you for the help!

You could play Elemental stuff (Word of Pain / Fireball / maybe runes) in the Act 1 then after killing Warden go to the end of Forgotten Gods for Messenger’s Repeater for Elemental → Pierce global conversion and full conversion for Word of Pain (could combine it with Elemental → Pierce shoulders). After that you could switch to Pierce WoP + Ranged shooting like you have now. I’ve done such thing a few times myself. Others too.

3 Likes

@tqFan , beautiful suggestion! I might just do exactly that!

1 Like

Could also grab this as well: Ugdenbog Boltthrower - Items - Grim Dawn Item Database

I levelled with one a while back and it was ok. I’m personally just not a fan of Cadence lol, but build was fine during levelling.