Player Scaled Pets: Damage Conversion

So pretty straightforward question regarding “player scaled pets.” How does “%damage converted” gear affect player scaled pets. In example, if i have two swords that convert “50% piercing damage converted to cold damage.” Would that effectively convert 100% of piercing damage from blade spirits to cold as well?

I have done pet builds in the past and i understand the difference between “pet scaled pets” and “player scaled pets” very well. This time around i want to try my hand at a “player scaled pet” build, but im unsure of the combination of skills and damage types i should choose since im unsure of the relationships between “player scaled pets” and “damage conversion.”

I know items exist that specifically state things like “100% Piercing Damage converted to Cold Damage to Blade Spirit” as with the case of Chillwhisper Crown. Im not sure if i should use those items over general “%damage converted” for a -player scaled pets build-.

As a secondary question,i am also unsure of the relationship between shadow strike and “living shadows” shadow strike for the morgoneth set https://www.grimtools.com/db/itemsets/166. Is there any damage conversion there?

Yes.

Doesn’t matter which type you go for, global has the bonus of applying to every source of that damage rather than 1 specific skill/pet.

Living Shadow’s Shadow Strike is it’s own thing, it is not effected by any skill bonuses or midifiers to the mastery skill Shadow Strike.

For the most part, treat player-scaled pets as if you are the one casting the skill they use and as an extension of your will, so their abilities benefit from damage bonuses, conversion, offensive ability and crit damage to your character.

The only exception to this rule is attack/cast/movement speed of which they have their own set number that is separate from yours.

2 Likes

Why arent damage conversions for player scaled pets reflected in their tooltip? Surely that’s an easy thing to implement, is it not?

Some of them do, for example the skill modifier ones for Mortar Trap that convert 100% of the Physical damage do, like here I have M. Dread Mask of Gurgoth equipped:

DreadMaskOfG

Global conversion cannot change skill tooltips at all, I assume that would require new tech that changes skill tooltips even further than skill modifiers or transmuters do.