Playing Grim Dawn without listening to music?

Does anybody actually play this game without listening to Spotify or something like that? It just seems like 95% of the time there is no audio in the game other than the enemies and my attack sound effects. Am i missing something?

Never listen to anything else, but the ingame music and fxs.

Verify your game files, see if that helps. Might check if you have this installed on your machine too: Nahimic sound. It sometimes causes things like lag, but I guess might also cause sound problems as well.

I know Crucible doesn’t have music, but in campaign it’s there all the time I think.

Underground levels do not have any ambient music. If you mostly play in Warden Krieg’s dungeons, Arkovian Undercity, Steps of Torment, Chthonic Void, the hive lairs, Tomb of the Archon, Tomb of the Watcher and other small dungeons, then there is no music except for a few boss soundtracks. But IIRC The Infestation / Fleshworks and Tomb of the Eldritch Sun have music like the overground areas have.

4 Likes

I never listen music while leveling or farming in MC, the themes in areas is enough but time to time in Crucible and SR I listen music to endure the boredom.

playing gd without music gives that dark souls depressed dead world vibe.

the ambience effects in some environments deserved mentioning, because they feel more fitting for the areas they are instead of musics. sometimes the open world has weird ambience effects to it, like howls from unknown otherworldly beings, raging mysterious magical wind and such. i gotta say, the caves ambience fx are kinda weird. sometimes you hear rock pebbles falling or something, and occasionally, theres that weird piano JRENG sound which feels out of place and kinda like a jumpscare fx that got lost in cairn.

i particularly like the mysterious ‘whale crying’ ambience fx in howling chasm. sadly there’s no explanation what creatures emitted that sound.

1 Like

I think it’s the sound of a strong wind make when traveling in a tight or narrow location, the same mechanic like a flute or fart produce sound

Nector: I do. I actually like the background music, especially when I first started playing Grim Dawn with a fresh character. The only time I put in a CD (yes I said CD haha) or listen to an album on line (if I don’t have it on CD) is when a certain combat or area reminds me of a song or an album.

For example, playing my Druid. I use a 2-handed weapon w/primal strike. When I really get into it, just mob blast the time away, I think about the song Thunderhead by Overkill. I have that album on CD and another, but not all. When I play my Death Knight (I think i have one more character with Necromancer as part of the combo), I think of Necroshine by the same band. I don’t have that album, so YouTube it is.

And it goes on. Sometimes I get a real hankerin’ to listen to either Mercyful Fate or King Diamond because the game reminds me of H.P. Lovecraft’s (there are so many non-subtle salutes in this game) Cthulhu Mythos and the table top dice and pencil role playing game. Kutulu/The Mad Arab song from Mercyful Fate comes to mind.

Then there are times when I need something with a little more substance like Pantera or Devildriver. Those two work well with any class combo character.

Then there are times when this game (well any game really) gets me in the mood for Taco Bell. The best song that comes to mind is Wynonna’s Big Brown Beaver by Primus. “you recognize that smell?” “it smells like 7 layers, that beaver eats Taco Bell”

Along the lines of good ol’ fashioned goofy music, Primus SUCKS, there is GWAR. Tell me that’s not perfect for a game like Grim Dawn.

So, basically, that is a long winded… sometimes. HAHA! RAWR!