Primal Instinct & Og'Napesh. What are your thoughts on these two?

So, recently both Mythical Og’Napesh and Primal Instinct were buffed.

After trying them both out ingame, I still can’t see a reason why I would pick Primal Instinct in any serious pet build & Og’Napesh still feel the same, or in other words it still feels grossly underpowered.

But I am just one of the many (I hope) pet players in GD, so maybe you guys are satisfied with the changes. Maybe not. I am curious and so here we are.

I would like to hear your opinions, but if you rather just vote on a poll, here you go:

• Both are fine
  • Og’Napesh is fine, but Primal Instinct is not
  • Primal Instinct is fine, but Og’Napesh is not
  • Both require buffs

0 voters

Primal Instinct was mostly tested on this build: Sanguine Lupus - Pet Conjurer

Og’Napesh was tested on both Cabalist and Conjurer. The pet did not make up for the lack of skill points from an off-hand like Cataclysm’s Eye.

not using primal instinct nor og´napesh. there so many better alternatives than those 2, i think i used og´napesh while leveling for some time. the defensive buff of the skeletal is kinda nice but sadly explained no where. the buff description is not very helpfull like all the other buff descriptions and in the pet description its not even mentioned.

You can view detailed pet stats here (including buffs): https://www.grimtools.com/petdb/skill/3556

Welcome to the forums btw :blush:

there is no ingame discription no where to be found. without grimtools i probably would have refunded Grim dawn instead of playing 100th of Hours :wink:

and thx for the welcome

Grimtools is the real game, GD is just a 3rd party tool to visualize the data :stuck_out_tongue:

i believe Og’Napesh should be buffed to have similar stats as Yeti from Mythical Heart of the Mountain (even if nerfing his Shield Aura is required) to be proper alternative to Cataclysm Eye.

Can’t say much about Primal Instinct as swarmlings get evaporated so quickly and i was very happy to craft Mogdrogen’s Ardor.

1 Like

Primal instinct pets are outright useless because they are so slow yet they summon directly under you rather than under the enemy. Their damage are already abit crap and because they are so slow either they make no difference or gets vaporized by ground effects.

Og’Napesh should have a legendary variant with a useful tank pet thats all. The Epic is great before you find some BIS gear.

The Problem with Primal Instinct is the stats of the Relic itself not the Pets. The pets are okay. They should be alot stronger for sure but i rather have more stats on the relic itself

If any of you have any particular suggestions on how to improve either, feel free to post. Maybe the devs will be able to use the idea, you never know :blush:

You dont even need to buff the pets. If they are summoned directly under enemy from a skill it’d be much better. Revenant runs this way i dont see why the little insects couldn’t.

And yes the stats are crap.

Yeah, feels like if PI summoned them near the enemy instead of near you, it would go a long way towards solving the problem.

So I was looking through the grimtools pet database as part of another thread and noticed something off - it looks like Swarmlings are one of the few pets (there are 4 others) that don’t deal % weapon damage. Which if true leads me to believe they don’t benefit from damage added to them from auras for instance.

The others without % WD are Reckless Guardian, Stalwart Guardian, Bound Wraith and Bound Spirit if anyone is curious.

Wait… doesn’t flat dmg from non aura sources also get included as weapon dmg or is it different?

What do you mean by that?

From Bonus to all pets.

Like the flat Bleeding dmg from Howl of Mogdrogen or Primal Bond or Nosferratis belt.

Those should count in as weapon damage I believe. What wouldn’t is damage outside those.

For example, take Ground Slam:

The 296-478 Physical damage and 618/3s Bleeding damage aren’t factoring into the weapon damage here, they get added alongside it. It’s the same for non-Pet skills as well like Forcewave or Fire Strike.

Well… now I understand why I couldn’t make Primal Instinct work on my Bleed Pet build.

Damn, I should have checked the db. I was like… “you have all that flat dmg, why are you doing no damage?”

Considering how much Pets benefit from added Flat dmg, no wonder PI feels weak.

This is only relevant for special attacks.

All pets that do melee attacks use 100% weapon damage by default. In contrast, we had to add the pet attack damage bonus to the familiar’s storm orb so that it did benefit.

2 Likes

Oh…

well…

1 Like