Problem inserting my mod in another one (or just making mine inside of the existing one)

Hi! I made a mod editing the nightblade class to make it look like World of Warcraft’s Assassination rogue. I’ve made the skills and setup the icons and built it. Everything works fine. The changes was made only into records/skills/playerclass04/ and records/ui/skills/class04/ aside from the icons.

The mod i’m trying to merge it into is Dawn of Masteries. I’ve extracted it’s records and first tried just copying paste my files into the new dawn of masteries extracted database files. There was nothing overlaping. Then for the templates and .arc files i’ve just copied the originals one since i didn’t edited any of it. Then i get in the game and my character start walking forward and straight and noclipping but my camera stay still. My masteries UI is a mix between vanilla and dawn of masteries, everything crazy looking but nothing clickable.

Second i made all my edits to nightblade class already inside the new extracted database from dawn of masteries. This time I had 100% certain it wasn’t overlapping because the mod files didn’t even have the vanilla playerclass04 and ui/skills/class04, meaning it doesn’t edit it in any ways. So i remade my edits there, extracted only the EN_Text.arc to insert my skill_tags, built and pasted templates and all .arcs again before i realize it didn’t built a new en_text.arc. So i pasted the original one again and tought “fuck my tags, i know what skill it is”. But again i had the character walking straight noclip with camera stuck. The masteries UI is now all Dawn of Masteries as it should, but the masteries buttons is missing, only the background is there.

Can anyone PLEAAAAAASE show me what am I doing wrong and how can I do it right? Thanks already for reading so far :slight_smile: sorry for my english!

edit: some screenshots. First one is my mod, second is DoM and the unsuccessfully attempt to merge them will be the 1st reply because of new user link limit.

Red circle in my character moving infinite and noclipping

Images are not showing. Use something like Imgur and paste the links here. Use the BBCode message boards & forums link.

now we have it :smiley:

Ah, good! :slightly_smiling_face: Strange that I couldn’t see them initially because I could when I reviewed the post for approval.

Walking off screen means that you do not have the expansions I believe. DoM requires both AoM and FG.

I have no idea why you would not have the icons on the mastery selection screen. Assuming you really did not overwrite something that should not happen… make sure you have the expanded skilltree template in the dir you extracted the GD templates to / make sure that Asset Manager does not show any errors while building the new .arz

i do have all the expansions. Was playing DoM alone before wanted to make that assassination rogue.

What you mean by expanded skilltree template? Without trying to merge it with DoM, my new mod works fine.

Actually asset manager points 16 errors when the building is done. All errors related to d3 classes.

16 for D3 seems weird, given that there are only 7 D3 masteries (and I know that others use that template too).

Look under the DoM downloads on Nexus for the template.

Won’t fix your walking off screen, but should fix your AssetManager issues

Downloaded those templates file now but i can’t figure out what do i do with it. Can you give me a direction?

edit: found on another post you saying that templates should be on where i extracted game files. I did that and asset manager now shows no errors when building. But still no masteries icons and characters going offscreen. Any ideas?

edit2: about the expansions, when i extracted game files i was following a guide which told me to link to my gdx1 and gdx2 files on additional browse directories/source.

A:\Arquivos\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx1;A:\Arquivos\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx2\

I did like that and it extracted to my mods folder. Maybe my asset manager isn’t loading the expansions? I remember on my first tests that necromancer, inquisitor and oathkeeper wasn’t showing on my masteries list when running my brand new mod. But it is now so not sure what is happening.

edit3: now i found that my additional source directory was wrong and changed to

A:\Arquivos\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\mods\gdx1;A:\Arquivos\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\mods\gdx2\

, then i built again and it seems to have made it worse. Same off screen walking problem and this.

edit4: sorry for all those edits but i’m a little frustated. I was testing and re-extracted all game files and made a brand new mod which i only did import the malepc01.dbr and under skilltree it only have up to class08 (class09 which adds oathkeeper is missing). So i navigated to gdx2 extracted source files and malepc01.dbr from there has class09 added under skilltree. Then i built the mod without making any modification and made a new character, got level 2 and all masteries was there. Oathkeeper button and description was there, but it’s table was all empty with red cross instead of each icon. It seems like my asset manager is only partially loading gdx2 files. Like the ones which add the oathkeeper to mastery selection but not the “learnability” ones. When hitting import records it shows skills/playerclass09 and ui/skills/class09 but malepc01.dbr imported doesn’t have records/skills/playerclass09/_classtree_class09.dbr added. It ends at records/skills/playerclass08/_classtree_class08.dbr. Am I doing something wrong? How did you went throught this?

I am only using AssetManager to create the .arz file, not to add any files to my mod. That avoids any issues it could potentially have with the vanilla / GDX1 / GDX2 separation.

For my own use, I merge the extracted dbr files from vanilla, gdx1 and gdx2 by copying the GDX1 files over vanilla and GDX2 over both, so that combined dir then has the latest version of each file. If I need to ad a vanilla file to my mod, I simply use that one and copy it in Explorer.
I assume that if you merged the sources like that and only had the combined dir in AM, it should also pick the correct dbr file.

Not sure about anything else that is going on, it should all be issues you created when merging because obviously it all worked before… so I’d start with a fresh extract of DoM, compile that to see if it works and then go from there by adding things one step at a time

Tried doing that and the result was the same. All I did was extract game files in a new working folder, copy paste gdx1 into vanilla records and templatesm then gdx2 into the previous merged. Copied the templates provided in nexusmods and pasted into that vanilla>gdx1>gdx2 templates folder. Then I extracted DoM records, copypaste in a new mods folder, built it. Copied all .arc files from resources and paste into the new mods folder as well. Copied templates.arc and paste on database folder too. All set and ready, I suppose.

Still, getting in the custom game with this new mod selected gets me into that camera stuck headless dude running off screen noclipping the mountain, And masteries pane shows as previous screenshot. I really am frustrated.

Does anyone know how to fix that? Please