Punished for trying too enjoy the game

Hello my names charles, I have high fuctioning autism, and love the hack in slashes. Im gonna go over some of the things that make the game very frustrating. This is on the base game before any exspansions and changes, if anything was changed please let me know.

First play I was hoping to try somthing for fun then transfer some items to a new character once I see how the game works. Unlike torchlight two you can’t just transfer items to other characters, not sure why such a basic feature is ruined by some walls.

Punished for not being good enough, an lower then average skill player and not alowed too change jobs more then once. Once I got closer to end game I wanted to change my build and use some of the item sets I got. sadly I can’t go back to my old build that was better. their was some paywall that cost way to much. The Speical skill trees need you to fight stronger mosters to be able to changes things up. If your having a hard time and can’t fight stronger mosters your out of luck and can’t change your characters more then once becuase you didn’t get enough craftables you get only by fighting stronger monsters. So if your like me and want to enjoy the map and take it slow your punished. Doing the quests the geting higher reputation in towns will overlevel you thus stop you from geting them craftables from fighting higher level monsters.

Not freely being able to change set up and skill trees and try new items on other characters by trading to them, I can’t see buying past the base game, These problems are too frustrating and I can’t just enjoy the game unless I play some way that I dont understand. Other titles like torchlight 2 and diablo 3 its free and easy to change your set up and trade too your characters I dont know why this different in grim dawn. Sorry if I seem stupid as I do have high fuction autism, and this experience was on the base game before anything new came out.

Welcome to the game and to the forum icetwister. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m not sure why you think you can’t transfer items between your characters because you can very easily. There’s a transfer stash with the smuggler that you can use. Items you put in there are available to any character you wish to make. Only a few, like faction items which are soulbound, can’t be transfered. The smuggler has a personal stash for items you want to keep for the character you’re playing plus the transfer stash for stuff for other characters, just switch between the two as needed.

The game is designed around having multiple characters, not one that you keep changing all the time. You can buy back skill points at the Spirit Guide in Devil’s Crossing and use them on other skills in that class, but you can’t change your class once it’s been selected. The cost of buying back points isn’t that high really. Where are you exactly in the game? Because it’s pretty hard to overlevel unless you’re trying to farm early Act 1. At the Spirit Guide you can also buy back Devotion points if you want to change those too, although you can’t buy back points in the mastery bar in the base game iirc, just the points in skills themselves.

1 Like

As Medea said, there is a transfer option available with the Smuggler. You can find the button to switch to the shared stash up left. And about the respect cost… I’d say it’s reasonably cheap. Only after a huge amount of uses it gets rather expensive.

The Smuggler has a page for personal stash and shared stash, use the latter to transfer items between chars.

I am also not sure why you say it is easy to change skills in TL2. That game only let’s you respec the last 3 skill points, which is a lot more restrictive than GD (and D3 has no skill point allocation…)

I assume that’s your main problem: You simply outleveled the content on normal difficulty. I’d recommend switching to a higher difficulty. Elite isn’t so much harder compared to normal, besides that you also get better loot. In every difficulty, you start anew from the beginning, but already earned reputation stays. So I’d suggest continuing the game on Elite.

BTW, there’s no need for faction reputation grind in GD. You’ll get enough reputation by simply killing monsters and following the story line. On a normal playthrough, you’ll reach revered with (almost) all factions when hitting max level or even before. The items you can buy at revered status are level 70+ anyway (often the requirements are even higher), so getting high reputation early on doesn’t benefit you in any way.

I was hoping to enjoy all the quests in the game and do all reputations on first playthough, so its awkward for a game to punish you for doing them, and for early leveling in act 1. So make a team and plow threw? only end game bosses and items madder? hum… why even have a system like that. Just take out bad reputations and make items drops for people who mess up there build can who can’t fight higher level monsters, i’m just being punished for not skipping content, and messing up my build. just trying too see all of what the game has to offer. completionist runs and casual player runs are punished if they mess up their build because they can’t get needed craftables from fighting higher level monsters, making them not able to change the special skill tree without them. I have an idea lets make a game where if you buy bad skills your not stuck with them with no gold or craftable cost too change, and lets make solo leveling take shorter time. Lets not punish people for over leveling and picking bad skills.

Sorry, but that’s just not the way the game is designed to work/be played. You’re not being punished for anything, clearing all areas helps you to level up and find lots of hidden things in the game. As for your build you can buy back spirit/devotion points at the Spirit Guide to change a particular class around, though you can’t change that class.

Don’t expect any major changes to the game; the devs are winding down on development and focusing on other games for us to play.

No need because there’s one already - Diablo 3. And it’s widely laughed at for having no progression. The success of games like Grim Dawn or PoE proves that there’s a high demand for not oversimplified arpgs. By the way you can respec your character all you want with fan-made programs like GD Defiler or GD Stash. Assuming you don’t refuse to use them because “it’s a bad design that should be fixed by the devs” :wink:

There’s that “punished” term - just absolutely love seeing it tossed around like that - cuz ya know… “they’re” out to get ya! “They” have a secret agenda to rob you of all joy!

I would strongly suggest that if you find the game not to your liking to look into using some of the tools available to circumvent what you don’t like. Crate wants you to play the game however you find the most fun - this is why they champion the use of both mods and tools that people have made to mold the game to their own vision. Noone will hold it against you and you walk away playing it how you want to play it. You win, we all win in that exchange. Put an end to your corporal punishment all by yourself, make it a figment of your imagination just like it’s always been - it’s completely possible.

https://forums.crateentertainment.com/c/grimdawn/utilities-and-resources

1 Like

Why would you necro your own post to make the exact same statement?

Not that much of a necro.

you can do all quests and all areas and still have room to gain some more levels before there is any negative impact.

There is no need to max all reputations during the first playthrough, that seems to be the only thing you would need to do differently.

monster faction reputation is not something you really ever need to grind

these items drop in a wide level range, I am not even sure you can mess a build up to the point where they no longer drop due to level yet you are too weak to get any of them from monsters in the right level range

Also, from all your grinding you should already have collected plenty…

haven’t heard anyone else have this problem, so it is just you. I also find it very hard to believe that it is even possible to mess up so badly that this actually is a problem

you over-leveled, so how are you even fighting higher level monsters… also, if no components drop that is because the monsters are so much lower in level than you, so this makes no sense to me

Are you saying you would need to fight higher level (ie a few levels below your level) monsters to get them and cannot manage that ? In Normal ??? Again, very hard to believe

nah, not interested. The costs are not that high that it matters much, unless you constantly respec because you want to try out everything, or because after having respecced for the 5th time you managed to spec yourself into a crap build yet again

Respec costs exist to prevent the former, and you should be able to prevent the latter

I agree with the OP. The game practically forces you to move on to higher difficulties, as not doing so will eventually cause your drops to cease entirely, even if you go to hard side-areas like Port Valbury with mutators. This kind of cliff-edge is very bad design and completely unnecessary; Normal already has far lower quality loot as a penalty for being easier. It is this extra, disproportionate penalty of drop cessation that grants the game the punishing description. This is a game where most players don’t go past Normal, so isn’t it bizarre that drops eventually cease entirely for much of the game content?

The iron cost ceiling of re-spec could also be reduced too. It is quite high iirc. With all the purchasable blueprints and writs, players can be poor for quite some time, and in combination with the above problem the wall is a real possibility.

Thank you for all your helpful comments. I got the game when it first came out so I bet they changed a lot I’ll give it a 2nd shot, all so is there single pay for all bonus content yet, if I like the changes to the base game. second how is the game supposed to be play properly sounds like me soloing isn’t optimal. So make a team and finish are fast as possible? So yes I do not wanna be punished for being a bad build this time I"ll just stick to a good one on the forum. Hoping that doesn’t mess my build up if I download new DLC.

GD is a single-player game first and everything they do with GD revolves around that concept. This has always been the case. Whether you decide playing with others is “optimal” is your decision. I play the game solo - always have, always will.

Everything except the Loyalist Item Packs is in the Definitive Edition.

There has to be some incentive to climb to higher difficulties. If one could collect everything on Normal, then Elite/Ultimate would lack rewards.
And come on, re-spec ain’t costly. Player can obtain 248 skill points maximum and to move 160 of them only 34 500 iron bits are necessary (if my sources are correct). Moving this many points will turn you into a different character already. If you want to move more and refuse to actually play the game to collect some iron, then maybe start a new character. Or use a mod to edit save file.

1 Like

The incentive ought to be the better rates and greater challenge. Also, there are a few things exclusive to higher difficulties (Loxmere, Lokarr, Wilhelm, etc.).

I agree that Normal ought to scale forever. Elite as well. I’ve never much liked the lack of scaling thereof. If further incentive is needed, I have also long been an advocate for more difficulty-specific enemies, too. :wink:

1 Like

it definitely is first and foremost a SP game. How you go about that is up to you. You can explore the entire map and do every side quest (not counting faction tables or grinding faction reputation endlessly) and never even get close to being overlevelled - certainly not up to the end of vanilla (let alone the first act).
You can focus on the main quest and skip side areas to rush to the next difficulty, but for that I’d recommend some more experience first.

Personally I’d say you probably should explore everything and once you become too overlevelled (if ever), jump to the next difficulty. I personally explore everything in Normal until I can jump the difficulty (i.e. without the expansions), rush through Epic and do a full clear of Legendary.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. Just had this exact problem, my toon was still on elite (almost done with everything though) and I just did a little tiny bit of SR and boom - Lvl 100. Then I needed to change ONE component ->12 Seals of Binding needed, but they wouldn’t drop anymore (although I’m a FG noob so maybe there’s an area with the needed enemy type somewhere which I overlooked, but main game content and also Malmouth till Mourndale area, mobs were Lvl 85 at most, no drops). Iirc its like if you overlevel by 15 levels or more these materials don’t drop anymore. And you need 12 for one Arcane Spark.

So I basically had to proceed on ultimate(build is not ready yet, some vital items still missing) till the area where Depraved Sanctuary is to get the drops. Worked fine with just running by everything and then restarting a few times from Burrwitch Outskirts waypoint, but I still agree that you should not be forced to do stuff like that, mobs should indeed scale indefinitively on every difficulty imo. And I also had the same problem with Ugdenblooms, thank god at least the rotten stumps still drop them sometimes if you are overleveled :wink: 16 needed for one component btw?? This game is very grindy, but I still love it after over 5000 hours played :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: