Purifier vs Pyromancer (and advice on my character)

Hey all,

I’m fairly new to GD and I can’t seem to find any threads that talk about this specific subject. So, between these two ranged DW builds which is the best for a self found character/new player, Purifier or Pyromancer? My current pyromancer is lvl 68 and I’m still finishing AoM and Fg before I move to elite and hopefully ultimate. Should I continue to invest time into this character in hopes of eventually getting the darkblaze set or will it be impossible?

Here is my build - https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkKAdBN

Feel free to give me any tips on my stats, devotions, etc.

Purifier by far due to the ranged specific skills at Inquisitors disposal

Purifier is a lot more powerful in all regards than pyromancer out of the box, especially as a gunner. I personally wouldn’t suggest going pyro unless you are going to trade for darkblaze. If you are hoping to just randomly find darkblaze then you might be looking for a very long time

Thanks for the replies so far, if trading is the only way to get darkblaze quickly then I guess you saved me alot of time. Any tips regarding the skill point distribution between demo and inq? I tried looking through the compendium but the links don’t seem to work.

Do you have a purifier now? Just wait a few days until the links get fixed.

I think if you just open Grim Tools and see what the Inq has to offer it is pretty easy to figure out that you need some ranged experice, some of the ranged attack skills, inq seal, deadly aim and word of reneval

No purifier, the pyromancer is my only class atm.

Your skill selection is very similar to my 2h ranged Pyromancer, and I’m up to lvl 94 now. It may not be the strongest, but it’s a lot of fun. I don’t have top tier pieces yet either, but I’m in Elite AoM and just blowing stuff up and burning it down. I find it hard to swallow that a PYROmancer is not the most powerful FIRE wielding class in the game. I dont’ remember my devotion selections, but can upload a grimtools link when I’m home later.

Imo, purifier is by far more durable and versatile (grenadier, caster, 2h/dual gunner) and has nice features like Inq. Seal, AoC and racial damage.

Alright sounds good. I’d like to see what item you have as well. What do you think of my devotions?

Yeah, after doing more research, I’ve been seeing so many purifier builds that can tank in the crucible due to all of the sustain compared to pyro. I only chose pyro because I thought it was the only DW build in the game, then I bought AoM when I was around lvl 40 and noticed the inq was a dedicated DW range class.

Does the purifier have an easier time getting gear compared to the pyro? I’ve been using the same weapons since I was around lvl 40. Seems difficult to find chaos damage weapons.

Here’s my build … https://www.grimtools.com/calc/qNY4wvlZ

I know it’s nowhere near a top tier build - it goes against every recommendation, as a 2h ranged fire-based pyromancer. I just felt it fit the class name. Gear is often handed down by my other characters who seem to find a lot of fire based stuff.

Hey,it’s good build without much of items!

Does anyone have a good build of a ranged Purifier?
With guns ofcourse.

I see you are using a 2h ranged build. Any pros and cons compared to a DW?

Honestly - I have no idea. Based on what I’ve read, DW is better, but haven’t tried it. I wanted to make a glass cannon, emphasis on the ‘cannon’. :grin: And I maxxed out the attack speed for a nice rapid-fire effect.
It does blow things up nicely.

Here’s a 2h Purifier https://www.grimtools.com/calc/62a1Ydk2 I’ve made, about 10 mins cruci and sr 75+. Also, Superfluff made a similar build long before me so u can search for it too.

That fire damage looks amazing along with the buffs of that rifle, would you say the desolator is BiS for that build? If I did do a purifier build, is it possible to swap between DW and 2H depending on what’s strongest atm?

As for 2H puri - yep, I think, it’s BiS. (also changed it a bit for even more damage and 20% wps chance https://www.grimtools.com/calc/YNnWvXg2, now it does <10 mins in cruci). 2H and dual setups are rather similar to each other but since FG release I haven’t seen purifiers at all, so can’t say which one is better. Actually, Mad_lee has tested dagallon puri and it performed itself badly.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, off to start my my new character and purify the enemies that plague Cairn!

1 Like