Purifier vs Pyromancer (and advice on my character)

Your skill selection is very similar to my 2h ranged Pyromancer, and I’m up to lvl 94 now. It may not be the strongest, but it’s a lot of fun. I don’t have top tier pieces yet either, but I’m in Elite AoM and just blowing stuff up and burning it down. I find it hard to swallow that a PYROmancer is not the most powerful FIRE wielding class in the game. I dont’ remember my devotion selections, but can upload a grimtools link when I’m home later.

Imo, purifier is by far more durable and versatile (grenadier, caster, 2h/dual gunner) and has nice features like Inq. Seal, AoC and racial damage.

Alright sounds good. I’d like to see what item you have as well. What do you think of my devotions?

Yeah, after doing more research, I’ve been seeing so many purifier builds that can tank in the crucible due to all of the sustain compared to pyro. I only chose pyro because I thought it was the only DW build in the game, then I bought AoM when I was around lvl 40 and noticed the inq was a dedicated DW range class.

Does the purifier have an easier time getting gear compared to the pyro? I’ve been using the same weapons since I was around lvl 40. Seems difficult to find chaos damage weapons.

Here’s my build … https://www.grimtools.com/calc/qNY4wvlZ

I know it’s nowhere near a top tier build - it goes against every recommendation, as a 2h ranged fire-based pyromancer. I just felt it fit the class name. Gear is often handed down by my other characters who seem to find a lot of fire based stuff.

Hey,it’s good build without much of items!

Does anyone have a good build of a ranged Purifier?
With guns ofcourse.

I see you are using a 2h ranged build. Any pros and cons compared to a DW?

Honestly - I have no idea. Based on what I’ve read, DW is better, but haven’t tried it. I wanted to make a glass cannon, emphasis on the ‘cannon’. :grin: And I maxxed out the attack speed for a nice rapid-fire effect.
It does blow things up nicely.

Here’s a 2h Purifier https://www.grimtools.com/calc/62a1Ydk2 I’ve made, about 10 mins cruci and sr 75+. Also, Superfluff made a similar build long before me so u can search for it too.

That fire damage looks amazing along with the buffs of that rifle, would you say the desolator is BiS for that build? If I did do a purifier build, is it possible to swap between DW and 2H depending on what’s strongest atm?

As for 2H puri - yep, I think, it’s BiS. (also changed it a bit for even more damage and 20% wps chance https://www.grimtools.com/calc/YNnWvXg2, now it does <10 mins in cruci). 2H and dual setups are rather similar to each other but since FG release I haven’t seen purifiers at all, so can’t say which one is better. Actually, Mad_lee has tested dagallon puri and it performed itself badly.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, off to start my my new character and purify the enemies that plague Cairn!

1 Like

Late to the discussion, but you could do a bit of a hybrid using the updated Ulzuin set. It would work both as pyro or purifier. This would be an example of a pyro: pyro burn/2H ranged build.

^*edit: the 2H ranged ulzin is on weapon swap by accident = I used an existing template and forgot. Just swap it for the look-see. Energy may be an issue and require a few tweaks.

The set has ~25%cdr and so you’d end up throwing Canister for some burn, with some pew-pew. In spite of the relatively low DA, it has decent regen/physical resist for a variety of play.

Not a pure shooter, but I personally can’t go too long doing the same thing over and over…so some more variety if you need it.

Yeah I’ll keep this build in mind when I resume my pyro, considering it seems to use pure legendary gear it might take me awhile to actually make it effective.

I’d say the best DW ranged build is neither purifier nor pyromancer but vindicator. That is unless you mind casting some boxes and totems once in a while (which makes it more of a hybrid than pure ranged). Search the forums for Ludrigan. Here’s my old thread but none of those setups include the optimal setup with double Storm Witch ring and maxed Box (I didn’t like the Box at that time and I was wrong). [1.1.1.2] Duel of Savage Totemists - Ludrigan and Stormreaver vindicators comparison

As for gear accessibility, I think it’s easiest to make something out of nothing with a purifier.

Also, as for gear, I think u may use Stormtitan Treads for campaign instead of Thunderstruck of Kings (and change augment in belt for Malmouth Soulward Powder to cap the resists), crafting with % stun res will be great too.

“As for gear accessibility, I think it’s easiest to make something out of nothing with a purifier.”

Yeah that’s why I’ll probably just stick with the purifier, I dont have an alt to farm for legendaries on ultimate. My pyro is still in AoM on veteran.

Does the vindicator focus more on lighting damage compared to a purifier? I went through my stash and I seem to have lots of lightning damaging items such as 2 Orwell’s revolvers which I can start using at lvl 30.

edit: a bit off topic but is there such thing as a poison ranged build? I occasionally come across poison dmg ranged weapons.

Yes, Vindi is more about Lightning and Puri is about Fire