Question about controller friendly builds and controller setup

Hey everyone! I am rather new to this forum - have had an account but never really used it until now. I just recently had the opportunity to start playing my PC RPGs/ARPGs on my Smart TV, and that lead me to looking for ways to use controllers for my PC games. Grim Dawn is one of them. I was on Reddit a few minutes ago, and someone said that there are “controller friendly builds” within Grim Dawn. I am brand new to all of this, and am wondering if anyone on this forum can contribute their thoughts and examples of character builds and how they are implemented with a controller. Also, how do you guys configure your controllers with Grim Dawn? Any and all help is appreciated!! Thanks so much, everyone!! Happy gaming!!

1 Like

If you have Steam, I’d recommend using Big Picture to configure your controller (has some cool additional features, i.e. [Guide] Autocasting for 🎮 controller in Big Picture and Grim Internals) If not then you just configure it in-game I think.

Controller friendly build or not is actually a personal thing and also how you set it up although there are some build on the forum with controller friendly in the title, you can search for that.

But other than that I’d just start playing and figuring it out on your own.

Sounds great! Thanks for your advice! I did purchase Grim Dawn on Steam, but I am pretty new to using Big Picture mode, mainly setting up “what button does what action”. I will play with the Big Picture feature and see what I can figure out, but if anyone has some advice or suggestion on how to map the buttons for Grim Dawn, I would really appreciate it immensely!! Thanks so much!!

@tqFan , in the link you posted above, the article keeps referring to an “action bar”. Apparently there are action bars 0 through 9. What does action bar refer to? I do apologize if this is a dumb question, I am still really new with all of this, and am willing to learn!!

The link I quoted I some advanced stuff, don’t use now, I just wanted to make an example that Big Picture has some cool stuff.

You bind skills in game to Action Bar 0 - 9 like you do for 0 - 9 if you play with Keyboard and Mouse.

Btw I think there’s a toggle in Grim Dawn’s options where you define whether you set keybindings in Grim Dawn in-game option or you use Big Picture.

Sounds great! Thanks so much for your help!! And yeah, 99% of what was in the link you sent me went WAY over my head, but I appreciate it anyway!! Thanks again!

Callidor’s Tempest druid from top-20 SC builds thread (15-th place) is one of the most controller-friendly i think, as your main skill is just an AoE around you, so there’s no need to aim. It also has very few active skills. And it’s very strong too.

I have about 3,500 hours on Grim dawn using dozens of builds and only ever use controller. You won’t really have many issues with anything, especially now that aura switch on automatically (which used to limit your button skills, but now doesn’t)

2 Likes

I am curious how you’ve mapped your buttons. I tried a while ago, but I had a bit of trouble finding a good mapping. I’m used to keyboard and mouse, but would be nice if I can play with a controller on my couch :smiley:

@Bagel makes a ton of controller friendly builds. Strong ones, too. Click on the name link to see em.