[Guide] Autocasting for 🎮 controller in Big Picture and Grim Internals

Important - I advise to not autocast Action Bar 1 / Interact because it spams the default attack if the skill 1 is on cooldown

The autocasting is achieved using Activators feature which you can access by clicking ‘Show Activators’ as shown in the picture below.
It works with Grim Internals but you need to first setup it up in Big Picture.

[edit] Actually you can configure your gamepad after Grim Internals has already been launched - just minimize, open Big Picture and configure your gamepad from there (opening Big Picture menu in-game is impossible in Grim Internals I think).

Autocasting on toggle

• press one button and have a skill cast periodically until you press it again. The longest time between presses is only 1 second which is when Repeat Rate is at its lowest. I recommend it unless you want to use this method with spamable skills and not temporary auras or spells like Wind Devil.

Autocasting when button is held in addition to its primary action

Example: I spam Forcewave by holding X but War Cry is autocast as well.

We need 2 activators:

• 1st for Forcewave is changed by enabling Turbo
  • 2nd for War Cry can be unchanged normal press surprisingly

Here’s how it looks after binding 2 activators to 1 button:

Autocasting when you move with Left Analog Stick

Every time you start moving, a button is pressed

Casting multiple buffs with one button

I tested 4 skills at one (Oleron’s Rage, Field Command, Potion of Clarity, Aether Ward)

But if you’d like to cast even more skills with one button but casting them at the same time is not an option due to technical limitations of the game, you can try ‘Cycle Binding’ option below to toggle all your buffs with one button by pressing it repeatedly.

How to make 2nd Hotbar active if and only if swap button is held down in Big Picture

Automatic hiding of items while you fight for a Controller
More info

7 Likes

This is some next level sh*t, many thanks for showing us the possibilities and putting this together!
Never thought I would come to like the steam big picture mode as much. The possible applications for various skill combinations raises the fun and quality of life controller gameplay already had to offer even more.

You don’t have to minimize the game to bring up the controller settings for the big picture mode - just press ESC for the options menu, klick on keybinding and then on “configure steam controller”, it will open the big picture overlay to configure the keybindings.

Hope everyone appreciates your guide and has fun with it too!

1 Like

Thanks. I suppose you mean while using Grim Internals because when I use Big Picture I can just press the middle button on my PS4 gamepad. But 95% of the time I use Grim Internals so it will help.

I love the vast Big Picture configuration options. Some other things I did with my gamepad:

• Energy and Health Potion on L3/R3 (you need to press down the analog stick of PS4 controller)

• you can configure various places of the touchpad to invoke different actions

• changing the pulls of the triggers so that they trigger action with just infinitesimal pull (minimal soft pull)

• you can also do pretty neat trick - assigning action to infinitesimal analog stick move; this makes you cast a skill whenever you start moving

• with 5 permanent buffs + 2 permanent guardians I setup one multi-button to Cycle Binding (because casting so many buffs at one is not possible) and I press Circle seven times (after changing hotbar) which triggers following actions::

• Guardian on Skill 1
    • Buff on Skill 2
    • Buff on Skill 3
    • Buff on Skill 4
    • Buff on Skill 5
    • Buff on Skill 6
    • Guardian on Skill 1 because I need to press it two times for two guardians to appear

Oh, and I recommend not to autocast Action 1 / Interact in most cases due to the reason I mentioned in the beginning of the guide, all other actions are fine

1 Like

Oh, I also have one more interesting thing

• key on the keyboard bound to controller button (possible in Big Picture in ‘Legacy Keys’ window)

• script reacting to the keyboard button

Thanks to this after pressing R1, the quest lists on the right side of the screen / key icon shows/hides
This is because the script moves the cursor to the golden key position and clicks.

In a similar fashion you can setup toggling all your pets to aggressive with just one press of a controller button.

Or a center cast Inquisitor Seal.

1 Like

Hi again,

do you know how I can make it so it toggle’s the map on/off with the right joystick button on press-down? When I configure it I have to click the O-button in order to close the map. When I press it multiple times it instead changes the size of the map wheel in the right upper corner or makes it disappear, which is super annoying.

edit: I tried to bind legacy keys to assign the map through that but it seems the map button is hard bound to the right joystick press?
I have no other explanation for it.

My map setup
  • some gamepad button to turn it on
  • and then I turn it off with Square (X on XBox controller) which is my main attack anyway

It’s very comfy for me.

Solution to your problem

is actually pretty easy. You need to to have your chosen button bound to map in both Game and UI Controls menus because it’s changes the controls from Game to UI after you invoke the map. And back again after you turn off the map. No need for Legacy Keys it seems.

1 Like

It works like a charm, you are the best! Thanks for the fast response.

1 Like

I found a new problem. When I open the map (key doesn’t matter) my character stops moving with the left joystick, any idea how I can keep moving while having the map up?

??? Since when does anyone moves with map opened? It covers the whole screen. It’s the game’s designers choice not to have transparent map overlay (well at least in my low resolution)

Or do you mean that your movement is blocked after turning off the map?

When I play I also have Grim Tools World Map displayed on my TV (Grim Dawn is on a monitor)

yes, the movement is blocked. when I use the mouse I can still keep walking with the left mouse button pressed down, but with the joystick when the map is open my character stops walking and won’t move until I close the map again.

Ah, you’re right. It’s actually not bad with mouse and Keyboard. I’ll think about it.

1 Like

Much appreciated. I tried changing the UI controls for the joystick move but it only makes the cursor move across the map.

edit: I think the problem is that there is no “MOVE” control in the UI controls like it is in the game controls. (there is no force move either)

For now I unfortunately don’t know. Maybe you should make a thread in Idea/Feedback asking to add move to the UI Controls (with the argument that if mouse and keyboard players can why controller players cannot).

Not saying it’s impossible. Maybe with some hacking (editing text config files) or these action layers in Big Picture I don’t understand. But I don’t want to commit to such research at the moment.

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for linking the guide, I hope someone can help. :slight_smile:

LOL! I might be mistaken. I think the link came from me posting the reply here? :joy:

Yes, it’s not my doing. I don’t know, you’re probably right :wink:

1 Like

Automatic hiding of items while you fight for a Controller

Basically this. Please let me know if you’d like some options that / don’t know how to do this.

Also reminding about stuff like:

• centered Inquisitor Seal
    • now I might be able to do it without needing to move Analog after casting it
  • picking up items while holding Pick Up button, not needing to mash it

I just want to say that I love you lol. I wanted to change the buttons that use health and mana and I got it thanks.

1 Like

Does anyone know if there is a way to control the pets using the controller. because when pressing the key to move the pets they only stay close to the PC

how to configure for the seal of the inquisitor to be in the center?