Question about interaction between global and local conversion

Asking this question in the interest of not spreading misinformation in my next build overview. How does global and local conversion work together? Say I’m a Nightblade using the WPS skills and Nidalla’s Hidden Hand. No matter how many points I have in it, the Pierce to Acid conversion will be incomplete, so I need to convert the rest of it through gear. I’ve always automatically assumed without even really thinking about it that the conversions just add up. If I have 70 % from Nidalla and get another 30 % from gear, I’m set. But thinking about it a bit more now, I’m not so sure. Because it would make just as much sense for the “skill modifier” to apply locally to those skills, leaving me with 30 % Pierce damage, and any global conversion I get from gear would then only apply its percentage onto the 30 % that’s left over. So if my gear has 30 % conversion on it, I’d actually only be getting a net 9-ish % Pierce to Acid conversion from it for the WPS. Which one is correct?

1 Like

this is usually the case with other skills/“the normal behaviour”, where partial direct conversion is multiplicative with global,
i’ve not actually checked if does apply to all effects/NHH, the assumption is that it’s so “since it’s the norm”

2 Likes

I’m testing atm, will write soon

2 Likes

Doesn’t this make partial conversion items like Crimson’s Arcane Scepter or Fleshwarped Tome really, really fucking bad? Cause what’s the point of having partial conversion items like this when you still need to get 100 % global conversion anyway?

I’m playing Cold PB at the moment and I tested some time ago that I still need 100% global Vit → Cold for the 2nd node despite having 60% Vit → Cold mod on Harra set.

yes :sweat_smile:

my assumption has always been it’s a balance dmg thingy
“either you take a dmg hit, and use the peak items you want - or you block the good open slots to force the full conversion”
in case of arcane sceptre it was to ensure aether AAR bois couldn’t use it for max dmg builds anymore :sweat_smile: - why other skills has it, like cold PB items; i couldn’t say and just have the above speculation

yeah, this is what I’m getting, it’s multiplicative, I"m still getting some Pierce on Quick Cut despite more than 100% on Nidalla and global conversions together. I don’t have Physical weapons with Piercing which could skew the test + blank character.

Weeeell shit. Doesn’t change my gear setup anyway but…less elegant this way :confused: Thanks guys!

Wait Aether AAR was using it? It converts into lightning tho. Either way, that’s a wierd design philosophy, if the raw damage was the problem, the items could have just provided full damage conversion but granted no flat damage in return. You take the flat away from Arcane Scepter and Fleshwarped, give them full conversion and if it’s still too much, you can shave off some flat damage on other complementary slots. Tsk tsk Crate.

it converts into lightning now, didn’t used to :grin: , and was used in the peak dmg versions in earlier runs

And it doesn’t even do that properly. On either damage type. smh my head