Question about mageslayer's -55% reduced freeze duration to OFF

@jawa: yes. it’s been confirmed. I can send you the character file if you want to test it too. It’s really refreshing to play as I’ve never played a spec centred around CC’s as its primary form of defence

Do I get this right - the only application for that right now is a defensive one? The spellbreaker does not use the freezing to profit from the massive Fire RR?

Well. It’s both offensive and defensive, the same way ghoul and/or mirror can be used offensively and defensively.

Becuase of the freeze mechanic, its quite a waste to invest in more typical forms of defence as you won’t be using them as often as you would on another spec.

To return to this example, yes - the breaker doesnt use the the fire RR from OFF.

That being said, you could use it if you so wanted. I’m thinking of trying a callidor’s mageslayer sorc one day.

The trade-off, however, is a much shorter freeze duration. So in this other example, freeze can’t be used as defensively.

Am I even making sense, mate?

Don’t tell me you out of all the people have just realized this only right now…

1 Like

I only just did, yup :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve never really explored CC till yesterday

I.e. I used to think that the -125% fire RR would only last for the duration of OFF’s freeze duration.

I.e. if I apply 100 burn damage over 3 seconds, and the target is frozen by OFF for 1s, only the first burn tick will benefit from the -125% RR.

This isn’t true.

Any burn damage (with long enough a duration) applied during OFF’s freeze duration will be amplified by said -125% RR even after the target becomes unfrozen

You might be interested in my FoI Mage Slayer. I know it’s neither focusing on burn dmg or focusing on perma freeze, but with upcoming FoI buffs it could become rly strong: [1.1.4.2] [HC] The Weeb Hunter - fire FoI Mage Slayer [vids]

Yea this really nice for e.g. a callidor’s tempest burn build as you mentioned. Maybe I should adjust my build to have hardcapped Inferno :thinking:

The best use of mageslayer’s FoI imo is DoT, not casting speed.

This is my current itemisation outline for the callidor’s/FoI magehunter:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/RZROBrvN

I won’t really be focusing on casting speed. Instead, I’ll be trying to stack burn damage.

1 Like

Yea I can see why. Looks good!

TBH though, the freeze mechanic is still my favourite because of how new it is :stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eVLnqY6N Thats my dual wield version of the mageslayer spellbreaker that i got to solo Shattered realm lvl 76

How consistent is it? And was it a run filled with deaths?

lvl 65 are consisdent in time the lvl 76 was lucky transmutators and some aether crystals
and a hitt and rund playstile where you aply the frostburn damage and rund

hmm…some suggestions which might improve it:

1. Break points for starpact and dual mastery are odd numbers
  2. PB is left at 6/12 or 10/12
  3. hardcap shadow dance over RoS (the latter should be left at 4/12).
  4. Get mirror to 7/12
  5. Leave conversion @ 9/10

Did you opt to DW for the phys res?

more wapon damage for the rune scourge strike and elemental strike so you shadow strike in get all your damage spells on cd and then wait for them to come back up again where the rune skill and scourge strike heal you massive amounts and with this build im realy short at skill points thats why i leave mirror and BP at minimum points

do scourge strike and elemental strike hit with both weapons?

EDIT: you’re short in skill points because you’ve dumped them into several skills past the point of diminishing returns

e.g. - CoS, PB, anatomy of murder, conversion, etc.

jes they both use all 2 weapons
scourge strike is at 120 k sheet damage
and elemental strike at 80 k

I feel like you’re better off with chillspikes and an offhand. My sheet DPS for chillspikes is 100k*

but then you miss the physical resist what is key for my build since so low armor rating
thats also why i went for my boots over yours since they dont have physical resist
and if you chain all the attacks you have the first is off cd again
Scourge strike - elemental strike -flash frezze - ring of steel
no time to spamm chillspikes

Perhaps you’re right, though I remain skeptical.

I think you’re overlooking the massive defensive gain from eternity and CDR.

I feel like once I get the hang of which enemies can’t be frozen, the build will be okay

EDIT: I also think your DA is low enough where phys res just doesn’t matter anymore since you’re gonna get crit

jea if you want to get more DA you need to invest more into physic
and with arcane will up 50 % of the time its ok for me
but i prefer the non meta playstile aniway goul would also help there
by the way this char is more tanky then any other build i created till now