Question about Viper Devo (vs. Ultos specifically)

Pseudo pets such as Guardians or Blade Spirit don’t benefit from Viper because they have no weapon damage. Not sure about true pets because I’m not a pet player.

Another example is Panetti doesn’t benefit from Viper by default because it has no weapon damage,
but Callidor Tempest does since it has around 50% weapon damage, but not to full extent, because it doesn’t have 100% weapon damage, unless you use Scion of the Screaming :whale: which gives it additional 50% weapon damage.

3 Likes

Yes. None of your pets whether player-scaled or pet-scaled can apply Viper’s RR, only your player character can through % weapon damage. If you wanted your pets to be able to apply it you would want to use Hand of Ultos instead as the 20% reduced Elemental resistance is tied to and applied by the proc and cannot be lowered in the same way Viper is lowered by using an attack with less than 100% weapon damage.

2 Likes

I’m very curious as to when and where this theory is from? Regardless if you have since done proper testing that bears this out perhaps I’m incorrect.

This theory exist for many years. RR appliance depend on your WD eg 50% WD skill will net you 10% RR from Viper. I have seen it in forums before and quote it in the mechanics guide.

I guess it can be tested with dummy on low level char.

1 Like

I see, do you have a copy of the guide or a link to it? I would love to read up on it.

It may be in these guides:

2 Likes

https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/2888

Would going to 110% weapon dmg effectively give 22% elemental reduction with Viper, then? Or does it hardcap at the 20% mentioned in the devo? Seems the Shard of Beronath would pair nicely with Viper. :slight_smile: (Maybe I should look at the 20% as a ratio of rr to weapon dmg and not a cap?)

*edit - Looking at that component and it’s attack more closely. Would Viper rely on the % based on charge level, or the 124% dmg the item states?

1 Like

Weapon damage will be caped to 100% Anything past that point won’t reward you with extra RR, including charges.

Please share insight to my testing methodology and where I might be wrong. I made this single mastery necro with nothing special as far as gear goes and ONLY changed ONE item that was the amulet for the 24% weapon damage to Drain Essense.

The 3 dummy kill times with the Kaisan amulet were
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/m23xDpEV

1. 44 seconds
  2. 46 seconds
  3. 45 seconds
    respectively
    Then I swapped to the conduit for the 24% weapon damage.
    https://www.grimtools.com/calc/w26a7pxN
  4. 40 seconds
  5. 41 seconds
  6. 41 seconds
    We can see in the video when viper is applied to the dummies thanks to Grim Internals. It’s very regular too.
    Obviously the few seconds faster in kill time is due to the weapon damage. Having more will be more beneficial than none in any case and 4-5 seconds on average in this case seems to match up just fine with the 24% weapon damage.
    If I am to understand what I’m being told it’s that the MORE weapon damage one has the greater the RR that is applied to the target? If this is in fact the case wouldn’t the effect of BOTH the weapon damage AND the increased RR be much more pronounced than a measly 4-5 seconds off a kill?
    I would love to see & or hear how others have tested this to come to the conclusion that they have.
    The game is constantly making me question what I have thought I knew about it and in some cases I have been incorrect and needed to “relearn” aspects that I previously misunderstood. Even things that @Zantai himself has confessed were errors in the way he had thought.
2 Likes

I’ve started making some test but Dummy seems to take too little damage on Normal from Celestial Presence as if Dummy has some resistance it didn’t have before :thinking:

I’ll finish the test after I get to the bottom of this. Previously when I made such a test, dummy received what was expected.

[edit] OK nevermind, I had some Global Ele → Phys items on my character :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Ok, here’s a test:

Dummy Fire res on Normal: 0%
Debuff from Celestial Presence: -28% Fire Res

Starting Celestial Presence damage (video): 1331
Using Callidor’s with 40% Weapon damage.

Predicted damage with Viper working fully:
1331 / 1.28 * (1 + 0.28 * 1.2) = 1389 Link to WolframAlpha

Predicted damage with Viper working in 40%:
1331 / 1.28 * (1 + 0.28 * 1.08) = 1354 Link to Wolfram Alpha

Explanations:

• 1.08 = 1 + 0.2 * 0.4 = 1 + 20% * 40%

• The 1331 / 1.28 I use above is also 1040 base CP damage from the tooltip you can see in the video so you could use that in the calculation instead.

You can see in the video that we get precisely 1354 as the calculation suggests after casting CT hence Viper scales with WD:

4 Likes

I see. Then I am proven wrong. Thank you for the clarification on that. Now I’m sure ALL discussions on this in the future will end up here~ As it pops up still to this day and it will continue to do so.
I will add though that while it may be in fact the mathematics behind the formula that prove this to be the case neither in my test nor yours is the difference stark enough for anyone to notice in-game, let alone in combat. Which really makes me wonder if this is another programming error or if it was done intentionally? At least this finally clears it up for me.

regarding the “pseudo pets can’t trigger Viper”
am i completely unhinged when i think/say that they can, as long as they are using a devotion with weapon damage?
only issue just being the WD scaling since it would need to be a 100%WD devo for pseudo pets to apply full viper effect (which doesn’t exist, right?) :thinking:

2 Likes

I feel like I’m awake in a dream that is actually a dream that I’m awake!?!
Will the spinning top actually spin forever is my main concern however…

Devotion procs should work as well for applying it, even partially. I think the most/best one in this case would be Blind Fury at 75% weapon damage, any others that get close are on hit procs like Vire, Hyrian’s Glare, or Empyrion.

Not with the amount of weapon damage that character is pushing. At the most, 24% of 6133-6832 weapon damage is ~1472-1640. If we assumed that all of that were pure Cold damage for a best case scenario, it would functionally be equivalent to adding ~63-70 Cold damage as a skill modifier to Drain Essence. The actual amount will be lower as in practice your weapon and flat damages aren’t pure Cold and the damage types like Vitality have a lower +% damage value.

What I’m trying to say anyhow is that yes it’s a damage increase but for the amount of weapon damage the character has, it’s not going to be a massive gain. Viper only applying 24% of it’s effect alongside very little or no -x% Cold RR here also greatly diminishes the effect it has as x% reduced RR is multiplicative.

3 Likes

who is gonna use viper with blind fury devotion, physical against elemental… unless converting it but it’s still weird.

Appreciate all the responses and testing everyone. Good conversation, helps me more clearly understand the mechanics involved.

What is the general rule about “Viper procs only with weapon damage”? Where it comes from? Why direct skills can’t proc it? Like Replicating Missile (Arcanist).

because the missile doesn’t have weapon damage in it.

I know it doesn’t I am asking why should it have it to proc. What that Viper node has to do with WD?

It says “20% Reduced target’s Elemental Resistances”, where is WD here?