Question concerning "Word of Solael"

Hey there,
Word of Solael .
It adds “80 Vitality Decay Damage per Second to Bloody Pox”.

Well, Bloody pox last for lets say 9 seconds meaning every second this offHand will add 80 vitality damage to it, right?
Then what is the difference to adding just “80 Vitality (without decay) damage” to pox?
Isn´t even the term “… dot per second” wrong itself? Dots are always “over time”.

Is this a typo or do I get something wrong?

Yeah, it works that way, same as bleed and poison on Bloody Pox. If I had to come up with an explanation I’d say flat damage alone inflicted every tick looks kinda ugly, DoT counterpart smooths it out a bit.

Edit: there are other small mechanical difference but I believe they are very minor.

The advantage of a 1 second DoT instead of flat damage every second is that 1 second DoTs can be extended with increased DoT duration. It’s not a big deal at all (since bloody pox already lasts so long anyways) but it’s one mechanical difference

1 Like

Also when DoTs crit all subsequent tics will be crits too, so that is another benefit. Typically you’d have Hungering Void and such, but the bloody pox mod is pretty low on that item.

1 Like

Thx for the answers!
Alright, so it´s intentionally and

“80 Vitality Decay Damage per Second to Bloody Pox” can be understood as
“80 Vitality Decay Damage over one second to Bloody Pox”, as I understand.