Questiong Regarding Movement of Shadow Maps in Grim Dawn

I’ve noticed that in Grim Dawn, the shadows will often move as the player character does and I’m curious as to why this happens on a technical level. Is it because the “sun” light source moves with the player in some instances? This is the only game where I’ve really seen this happen and I don’t recall it ever happening in Titan Quest.

1 Like

Never bothered me enough to report a bug, but I see it sometimes ever since I got the game (1.1.5.2). Looks like it can only happen in some areas and even then - only at specific times of in-game clock. It also seems to happen only when I cross an invisible border between map “tiles”. Otherwise shadows are stable.

My guess is that various areas have “Sun” light source placed differently or in-game time runs differently in them. When player is close to the border between such areas, game interpolates position of “Sun” to make the transition smoother.

It’s caused by changing lighting settings as you transition between areas.

To create some of the ambiance in areas such as Gloomwald requires some drastic changes to atmospherics, which can cause this effect.

Maybe I’m alone in this but I really enjoy the shadows moving in gloomwald when you first enter. Really sells you on the impression that something in the woods is amiss

1 Like