Questions about cloud save

Hey guys,

I usually play GD from my PC at home and for some reason, I’ve deactivated my cloud sync on my PC at home a while back.

I’ve installed GD on my laptop and I can only see the characters, items, and level progression from before I’ve deactivated the cloud sync, which was like 3-4 months ago. I got 3 other lvl 100 characters since the desync and I can’t see them on my laptop. (after installing the game on the laptop, the game has the cloud sync active by default)

My question is, if I create other characters on my laptop and start playing on my laptop with cloud sync active, then activate cloud sync on my PC, will GD on my PC sync with the progress made on my laptop and overwrite the save file and remove the characters which are locally saved on my PC? Will the characters from my laptop be added to the ones I have on the PC?

How does this work? Can someone explain, please?
I will be playing GD on my laptop for the next month as I am on a business trip and I don’t want to go back home when I resync my PC, to lose those 3 lvl 100 characters.

Sorry for the long post, it’s just that it is a bit unclear and I could not find another similar question/topic on the forum.

Best regards,
Petru

Yes, if you have cloud saving on it will overwrite any local saves you have.

What you should have done is back up the local saves on to an external drive of some kind and then you could simply paste them into the same location on your laptop. And then do the same from the laptop to PC when you’re back.

We usually advise not using cloud saving as it can sometimes screw with your characters’ progress.

@medea_fleecestealer thank you very much for the explanation and for the link! I just did that and now I’m finally rid of cloud save.

With the local files, whenever I go home, I can manually copy the saved files (the new characters from my laptop) and paste them in the same folder on the PC? is that how I would import them?

Yes, copy the save folder on an external drive and then paste it into the default location on the PC.

Also make sure that cloud saving is switched off in both the Steam settings and the ingame Options menu.

copy that @medea_fleecestealer !

Thanks for your help and wish you a lovely rest of the day!

1 Like