Rare Crafting Materials in the Transfer Stash

A topic of some discussion recently that we thought could benefit from Community input.

Rare Crafting Materials*

Since the early stages of Grim Dawn, crafting materials (just like Quest Items), have been restricted to the main Inventory or the player’s Personal Stash.

This was done for various reasons, including discouraging duping rare materials and reinforcing their value as new characters must earn them individually.

However, as features evolved and came online, some of those lines became blurred. For example, crafting allows you to create an item on one character and then use the Stash to transfer them to another. Likewise, Multiplayer trading circumvents the stash restriction as well.

So the question comes down to you, the community. Would you prefer that this restriction on Rare Crafting Materials be lifted?

* For reference, we are referring to items such as: Scrapmetal, Dynamite, Tainted Brain, etc.

OMFG! Yes please!!! I love making alt chars and crafting lvl 1 yellows / greens, but the only problem is…have to find someone to trust or a friend to transfer said materials to even begin this process…and all the hard farming I’ve done on my main char goes to waste since I can’t use those same hard to find materials to help my next char in any way, shape or form without help from a multiplayer friend who can be trusted.

IMHO this is the last thing I am hoping the game adds as a feature and I’d say the game is complete in my book with the new stuff being added in to the xpac already…I will cry tears of happiness if this happens.

Definitely. I never quite understood it to begin with as you can put the crafted item in the stash, like you said.

Got to say yes, as it has been mentioned, the restriction feels artificial nowadays.
Though I’m now wondering how would this cover the quests where you need to gather certain ammount of crafting materials. Getting them instantly, wouldn’t it be too cheesy?

That is a downside, yes, but perhaps the pros will outweigh the cons.

Hell yes! Can’t think of a single reason to keep it as is. Currently it’s possible to have accumulated dozens upon dozens of those mats but not being able to use most of them because they’re split in stacks of 6-7 on several characters…

Anything to promote/facilitate playing new characters is good.

The Quest are pretty damn limited let’s be honest

You are speaking of Crafting Materials I will exclude Dynamite as it ain’t using to Craft and would be the one with the more impact in Game (giving access to couple of high level area VERY fast for exemple East March and the area in Flooded Passage mostly anything after Homestead you have the Smith to create them)

That would then leave

Aether Cluster/Crystal
Rare Mats (Brain/Blood/Hearth)
Chtonic Seal of Binding
Scrap

Scrap will probly allow people to not waste time repairing the Water Pump in Devil Crossing (quite often I either buy 1-2 or I go an extra Rift before doing Barnabas quest cause I don’t have the 5 required). This might be “one”

Aether Cluster is NEVER an issue (you always have more than needed for Kasparov unless you just refuse to pick them up just by doing Burial Cavern/Lower Crossing)

Rare Mats…Unless I’m missing something it translate to Bounty (who pick those up honestly they are clearly not worth the rare mats) and that Outcast quest (1 of each). You will need to be VERY unlocky to not have at least one of each by the time you reach Act 4 so that one ain’t really an issue.

Chtonic Seal of Binding. And THIS one is the biggest part. 100% Honest the first quest of Kymon being to take back 3 of those piece is the worst Quest in that god damn game. They are Rare. They are needed for so many usefull thing and you can’t even get some before getting to Kymon anyway. So you need to move forward backtrack to cash in the quest and backtrack to do the next quest for Kymon.

This SINGLE QUEST is the reason why I go Order-Order-Kymon on 99% of my Character. I don’t need Kymon Augment before Ultimate and I save 6 Chtonic Seal of Binding by going that route. Having access to what my other character has accumulated over time might make it “easier” but for me it will still not be enough to not take that same Order-Order-Kymon route every single time.

Any other quest I’m missing?

Yes! The downsides aren’t a big deal, and it would smooth out the crafting experience for players with a bunch of alts for sure.

I used to be against shared rare components but I’m voting yes. Being unable to craft a relic because I’m missing a Tainted Brain Matter when one of my characters is drowning in them is frustrating.

Definitely. Crafting is a massive pain in the arse when I have to load each of my characters one by one to find out who has enough materials to actually make something.

Any downsides are probably enough of a non-issue not to matter too much, as far as I’m concerned.

Yes, please allow to store rare crafting materials (Hearts, Brains, Bloods, Seals)in the shared stash. Scrap and Dynamite can stay in the Inventory of any Char.

You find enough Scrap, if you play the game and you can get Scrap by dismantling items.

Dynamite don´t need to be shared between Chars, because it can be crafted easily and the additional parts of Cairn (like East Marsh, rooms in the Flooded Passage or Hidden Path) shouldn´t be open for new created Chars.

I don’t really mind, have been doing the way it is now over and over for years, but adding an easier way of getting crafting materials can’t be that bad i guess

Currently i would say yes. Mainly because i can just join a mp game drop mats and reconnect with another character. The upside for me personally that it save me the trouble for grinding with a different character, simply due not having so much time.However if you and other people still don’t want it to be able to be put in the transfer stash, than make them completely character bound.

Assuming this does not include quest items, voted yes. This has always been something that I personally never cared about, but I was never convinced by the arguments against the idea and the requests for it’s change have been numerous for as long as I can remember. I also don’t think abuse of an offline game’s systems should be a concern for how those systems are implemented for normal use.

Definitely, aether crystals/shards and Chthonic seals, as well.

Voted no/dontcare personally since I’m fine with the current system and have adjusted to it through the years. No strong opinion either way and I’d be fine if this was implemented, however…as long as it doesn’t include quest items as per Ceno’s assumption.

How about making them tradable after completing normal/veteran? Because after that point you know/are capable of crafting/doing anything related to rare mats/dynamite.

I can see that new characters shouldn’t be able to use dynamite right from the start story wise (same goes for every other quest needing rare components or even shrines), but after beating the game once there shouldn’t be a barrier between characters to be able to trade to each other in order to craft stuff like mythical relics.

Yeah, the only real concern I can think of is a new player having dynamite earlier on than they should and stumbling into East Marsh for the first time around level 14 or something. :smiley:

Voted yes, as sometimes i just get done with a character then delete it, and in some circumstances that feels like a waste of those items, especially sense i do not like to do a lot of farming, but still enjoy crafting when i can.

EDIT: +1 to Flavourius suggestion if at all possible

or sunken reliquary