Reddit and builds discussion

Let’s shoot all the beginners and get over it already!

Jokes aside. It took a long time to read all posts here and I would feel as an outsider if I don’t reply all.

First the facts! Let’s be honest, the game itself a bit tricky, provides only basic informations and requires a good enough english knowledge or translation pack. I don’t remember exactly who but some time ago, a person posted here ‘‘you need a phd to play this game’’. It’s kinda true. You need to do good amount of research to play GD properly. How do you research? By reading existing materials such as beginner guides and mechanic guides. Or you test by yourself but the second option might take a huge amount of time and creates the possibility of overlooking some important things.

I bought the game blindly, because I needed a distraction, I wasn’t even a gamer back then but I needed to stay home and focus something else rather than troubling things. I also started to game blindly, I had some experience in such games so I started as a soldier, thought the easiest start would be physical. After 250 hours and 2 months of testing, experimenting, stashing, creating new characters in order to use interesting items I found(what a mistake!) etc, I couldn’t finished ultimate with a single character. Then I start to do research. Videos didn’t make any sense of me so I mostly read, then created a forum account, kept reading. Decided on a character, created a thread and asked help. Didn’t follow any guides but I certainly needed help and I really don’t see a big difference between following a guide or posting help to improve my toon except one is easy way, other is hard way.

And people helped me. Some kindly, some arrogantly but I appreciate all their efforts. Because I was a slow learner, even after finishing ultimate the first time or killing the lokarr for the first time it took 700-800 hours of me to comprehend the Grim Dawn fully. And that’s not included the research time! I did read a lot of beginner guides after that even though I never followed them. I read discussions and other informative texts to learn how to make a build. All the effort and I wasn’t protoss or nery yet, I had just spent 800 hours to overcome noobness! For a game! Why? Because I really enjoyed it. Even being suck at it was fun because GD has a lot of surprising mechanics and discovering them one by one, step by step felt like being Nikola Tesla or Yuri Gagarin.

So why the hell I did explain all the process I went through? Because, I took the hard way, but if I did follow some guides, make my first toon to be a successful MC farmer it may have shorten the process for me, though I would certainly got bored from it. But everyone is different, maybe some other people get bored from being suck for 200 hours! And even after that, and even now, there were/are things for me to explore in the game. I still read discussions, I also test the information by myself. 1800+ hours and I still learning new things about the game. For example I play legit but I would be damned if some players who use GDstash tested things(hard to test without gdstash) and provided the information with the public. Same applies here, you can like or dislike the beginner build guides, follow or improvise but you can’t disrespect them because all informative texts written by veteran players are explanation of GD for new ur inexperienced players. Because people who make those guides love the game and they want other/new people to love it aswell.

So the beginner guides are mandatory. The people who make them are doing a good, volunteer work! As the people share the knowledge they test. Even though everyone’s attitude and patience is different; new players are lucky to have them. Yes I hate people ask for end-game builds half an hour after they bought the game. I also want every new player improvise at the beginning but the game is really complex without atleast reading some informative guides about mechanics. And not everyone has time to go that way.

Thanks for reading my acedemic paper :rofl: Forum= Scientific Journal. Reddit= Magazine

5 Likes

I guess you earned your GD PhD finally!

2 Likes

The fault in your argument is the assumption that people want to be experienced in a game they’ve never played before. Many are just looking for a quick guide to get them through story/xpac content and that’s that. Others don’t know whether they’ll want more than that - one of my friends, for instance, followed a beginner guide thinking they’d be done with the game in 20h and wound up dumping several hundred hours into the game.

A beginner guide is rarely comprehensive, as later comments in this thread have revealed. The intricacies of Grim Dawn still mystify even veterans to this day. Rarely is there too much spoiled by a good one-time handholding experience.

3 Likes

I’m not sure there’s anything wrong with some people wanting to hop into a hobby without needing to learn everything the hard way. They want to jump in, grab some loot and unwind. For others, doing it all themselves and discovering the game mechanics is part of the fun.

Neither is an inherently incorrect way to approach any game.

7 Likes

Where can I submit my disertation? :smiley: Are there final exams? :smiley:

1 Like

You submit on reddit!

1 Like

I miss Malawiglenn’s guide on mechanics now :sob:

1 Like

That needs to be made into a thread of its own imo. It was a bundle of useful info for new players and veterans alike :blush:

Technically the second guide he has linked there does have its own thread…

I was talking about Malawi’s :yum:

Mala made his own bed on that…

Yeah, I know how things turned out. But it is all publicly available info taken from the game itself and the official guide etc, put into a single post for easier referencing. Nothing to prevent someone from recreating something similar. Perhaps I should look into it once I feel not so lazy, but asking me to be not lazy is…

I’m not 100% on this but I coulda sworn that Nery’s guide was a lot from mala’s. Unless you are meaning a full on forum post and not as a .pdf.

But yea, I might be wrong since Nery did post this in the OP…

Yeah, I haven’t really checked if both contain the same info. Will also get to that sometime when I am not feeling lazy :stuck_out_tongue:

But I meant like an up to date version of either/both/a new one. For eg; Nery’s still has Pet Snapshotting listed in there while the latest patches have removed it.

1 Like

Typical Redditor propaganda. I don’t know who you are fakedev “Zantai”, but I’ve been gaming for ten billion years and I know a thing or two about game mechanics. I only like it hard, like a real man’s man.

2 Likes

1 Like

The mechanics guide in question was an idea by @sir_spanksalot in order to cover lot’s of the game’s mechanics without being limited to forum post number of characters or in case something happen to the forum like the old forum and you know what…

So he recruited few guys to write different sections. I did some of them, most of the elaborate calcs are done by Spank, also lot of info written by @PlagueMirth and for pets it was invited @sigatrev.

I’ve personally haven’t copied text from Malawiglenn’s guide or official guide and feel the other guys haven’t done it as well. But it’s normal to have similarities.

One thing needed to be said, is topics done by multiple people may have different levels of information. While Spanks is good in math and explaining stuff, I for once am not good at it or explaining advanced mechanics. My text is more simple and written on lower level.

2 Likes

seems we got a new topic again! From reddit, to beginner guides and now to mechanics guides :slight_smile: Off topic in the off topic in the off topic! Need to watch the movie inception today :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Or you can watch Groundhog Day! It takes only one post to go through all over again :rofl:

1 Like