Reddit and builds discussion

Very nice to see beginner builds in clear and easy to find format! Thanks for including my guide too :smile:

I think you should advertise this thread on reddit, I feel a lot of guys there even do not know about forum existence or has troubles to search on it.

1 Like

Last time I tried to directly promote my content on reddit it was removed because ā€œwe want people to post actual content rather than put links to the forumā€. Itā€™s hilarious that at the same time they are fine with YouTube video guides.

The only way to circumvent that would be just monitor reddit and every time someone asks about what should they play give them the link in the comments and after some critical mass people will start spreading it on their own. But then again I decided to just skip the first part.

3 Likes

I mean people on reddit know my builds well and share them all the time in comments. But I canā€™t make a heads up post there like ā€œsup guys I just posted a new beginner build, hereā€™s the linkā€.

Canā€™t blame them because Compendium I manage also requires a thread on this forum. But thatā€™s more of an uniformity policy rather than because Iā€™m mean.

Same for them they have a policy that I can word as ā€œwe want to be a standalone content platform rather than GD yellow pages hyperlink collectionā€. But reddit is awful as the former and perfect as latter by design.

2 Likes

Which is why Iā€™m weirded out by the policy. Iā€™m a regular redditor too but not on GD sub (I donā€™t think anyone even knows my reddit handle even tho I see my GD name there a fair amount).

But I think I saw @mad_lee and @maya post their build collections there and I donā€™t think those got removed.

1 Like

Because a build collection somewhat counts as content, even if itā€™s essentially just links with comments. I know itā€™s strange at first glance but thereā€™s some reason in that, even if I canā€™t word it properly.

Honestly if forum and reddit formatting wasnā€™t so vastly different Iā€™d had posted content on both, but as is I just decide before hand where I want to post particular content. Forum gets gudes, reddit gets tier lists.

2 Likes

I moved here from Reddit because i prefer this slower and more permanent organization and Structure.

Reddit stuff just get forgotten in a day or two

Reddit is basically anonymous facebook that has a different breed of toxicity. And nothing beats the organization of a dedicated game forum.

In games I use primarily use reddit if:

1. The game has no official/popular fan forum (i.e. dota)

2. Iā€™m not good enough at the game that the only thing I can contribute to the forums are dumb questions (Total war warhammer 2)

3. The game is already finished by the time I started playing it (Witcher 3)

For the rest I go forums/youtube.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve heard that and it really is awkward. Still I posted my Conjurer there:

I personally donā€™t have Discord and am rarely active on Reddit, mostly answering questions by new players. But I like the structure and the resources of the forum.

1 Like

Tried to contribute on Reddit with a positive attitude:

• posts removed / shadowbanned unless mods/algorithms like you
  • after first day or two your posts are basically dead, no one will ever read them again
  • little correlation between the quality of posts and their visibility
  • cannot embed a video when trying to make a post but when making a video post I cannot add text? 3 limited modes of creating posts instead of 1 good

I dislike this automatization, artifical rules, limitations and philosophy. Itā€™s basically the opposite of what this forum is.

5 Likes

Yeah I could never get into reddit. Everything about it just feels off and the structure and flow of a thread feels hideous. I donā€™t mind going to it if something in a search leads me that way but actually using it? Nah, Iā€™m good.

Plus, their GD reddit rules - as noted above - are just a bit of wtf?

2 Likes

Wtf thatā€™s kinda shitty. Whatever your opinion on the forum is, it canā€™t be denied that majority of good builds and guides are here. I guess one of my questions got answered.

1 Like

Why is this on the last post after the move? Weird, this was before many other posts in the original thread.

Anyway, Reddit is a good platform if youā€™re more of a reader than a poster. Things go so fast (on big subs at least) that you always have something fresh to read. Post quality isnā€™t really that high so if youā€™re picky it wonā€™t be your thing too.

But if youā€™re a poster you basically need to conform to the hive mind of that specific sub. Or else you get downvoted/shadowbanned/banned.

1 Like

Reddit mods C6F6KuIWAAIdUKy

2 Likes

For my part, I did have a good number of my posts and threads removed for the exact reason and even ended up locking antlers with one of the mods there.

Somewhere along the line, they just let me be though, but not sure exactly what changed. But yeah, they have this weird policy about wanting content on the Sub rather than linking to outside sources. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with wanting that, but Reddit is not user friendly for such stuff like guides and such atleast in my opinion.

Alright, since you guys have this conversation, I canā€™t help myself but ask: why all the obsession about beginner builds? Iā€™ve seen a lot of people writing ā€œjust started the game 10 minutes ago, can someone link me a viable build?ā€ I mean, is this what people do in games nowadays, follow someoneā€™s guide to the letter?

Not to diminish the amount of work and input of everyone involved, but donā€™t you think you kinda condone people not wishing to experience the game fully by providing a wealth of step by step handholdimg materials?

Cause I remember myself starting GD with skeleton Ritualist and picking a fight with Mogdrogen on Veteran. Hoo boy, was I at a loss of words when I got one-shot in one millisecond. I wouldnā€™t dare to even attempt this fight again until my characters are fully equipped and me knowing what Iā€™m doing. Same deal with Ravager and Callagadra.

1 Like

Canā€™t say that itā€™s an ā€˜obsessionā€™ - no more than the absolute glut of endgame builds that exist? Why should experienced players be the only people with information they can digest at their fingertips?

Thatā€™s more on the end-user, in my mind, than it is on the guide writer. Itā€™s up to them if they want to follow someoneā€™s material to the letter. Itā€™s also up to them to actually learn something from it about how to properly construct their own builds and decrease their dependency on guides in the future.

And the way I see it the more people that we get into the game - no matter their understanding or ā€œabilityā€ - then the more people you may get actually contributing to the game and the community in some fashion further down the lineā€¦ and the stronger the community the better for all.

1 Like

No one has forced any one to follow guides. But there is a request for guides in ARPGs and other games. I think a very often asked question in the ā€œrealā€ end-game build threads are ā€œis there a leveling guide?ā€ ā€œwhat gear can and I should I use before I get the BiS itemsā€ ā€œhow to make devotion tree?ā€ and so on.

There are even guides on how to do ravager, crate, lokarr etc. Some people do not have the time or energy to ā€œfiguring outā€ the game. Why do we have Grim Tools? and so on.

I bet you also at some point have looked at some kind of guide in your Grim Dawn ā€œcareerā€.

We can take things even further ā€œwhy do we have a forum where ppl can ask questions and share information, donā€™t you guys want to experience the game fully by themselves?ā€

When someone asks me ā€œI just bought the game what should I doā€ I always answer ā€œJust play it - if you like and think you need some help, there are guides you can consultā€

2 Likes

Because you become experienced the more you playe the game? If they follow blindly what is written by ā€œveteransā€, theā€™ll remain at this ā€œnoobā€ level. Thatā€™s the reason why topics with ā€œhow do I respec from constellationā€ and ā€œstuck at Krieg following the guide Xā€ pop-up. People are not willing to give any thought and experimentation of their own, thus ruining their experience, thus getting bored/frustrated with the game, and thus telling others not to bother with it. I almost missed GD because I read a couple of reviews saying the game was boring and bland.

1 Like

Which leads us back to thisā€¦

Just because there are guides for beginners and just because people use those guides doesnā€™t by any stretch of the imagination mean that they canā€™t learn from those guides. Are there people that just use them without any thought or real insight? Sure. But there are also people that have the ability to learn from the material.

If we followed your thinking then elementary, middle, and high schools wouldnā€™t even exist. Oh well, sink or swim Lilā€™ Timmy?

At the end of the day Grim Dawn is a fairly complex game with lots of moving parts. Not every person learns the same way.

2 Likes

But that is on their end, no the guide makers ā€œfaultā€. Guides are meant to help you and make it a bit easier for you, not meant to hold your hand every second. Grim Dawn is a fairly complicated game, and I am not sure everyone has the amount of patience and time it requires to ā€œfigure it outā€.

Perhaps we should just close all schools too, just let everyone learn and experience things on their own?

Some people prefer to use guides, some do not, some learn best by trying things out on their own, some learn best by following examples. People are different. Just because you can not see the usefulness of guides doesnā€™t mean there are thousands of other players that really enjoy and learn by guides.

3 Likes