[REL] Grimarillion v90d

To what end, you’ve not clarified anything and are suggesting useless solutions that are anything but convenient. What would be the purpose of this change? Bows work fine as they are.

A brief update to my character. I have infact verified the aether damage boosts from skills do no good because they add to damage after the 100% conversion, assuming it’s not on the damage skill itself and is either an active or passive buff. However, my character is fully built for elemental with the same medal as before and still greatly benefits from conversion to elemental on the Replicating missiles and my cold damage benefits from it as well. With the extra monster density it’s a big part of why it’s a success.

In addtiion, conversion from elemental to aether is much more difficult. I’ve tried to collect elemental to aether damage items and at best I could do 50% I may try to change it out in the end to get the extra 100-200% aether damage from Spirit/Arcanist skills later. It’d be quite an undertaking, but it’s possible. Though this can only happen if I find the appropriate support gear. Since my elemental is between 800-1000% boosted already, it makes no sense at this point…

Anyway, learned alot about the game playing this character and having a blast otherwise. It’s still quite viable. :smile:

I appreciate the valuable input. And the game mechanics are really coming together in my mind. Boost/buff skills that are not part of the damage skill itself (or not part of any modifiers in the skill tree itself) are just like passive skills, they apply damage after conversion.

Now I’m wondering if my flash freeze skill will still freeze if it’s aether and not cold damage… I’m guessing it will, as it’s a mechanic in the skill.

Side note: Been having a blast with this mod and have been doing main quests only and am extending how long it takes to get to 100, so I can get through more of the story before 100. MAYBE, as I’m playing with even higher density than before. In Alcoholic mode, I did almost 100% of the content and hit 100 around when I completed normal difficulty.

Bug report: Witch Doctor’s Zombie Dogs skill causes the summoned dogs to instantly self-destruct upon summoning them. The pet status indicators on the top-left of the screen remain, however.

There’s a slith in there somewhere throwing water at me, but darned if I could find it. :rofl:

1 Like

May be a Ninja slith leaping out of the shadows :grin:

Not much I can do about that, Grimarillion doesn’t edit the map (which is what determines enemy spawn points), only increases the amount of spawns if you are using Grimmest. If there’s no room on workable space, it forces them into out of bounds areas.

No, just playing ungrim style. I couldn’t work out why the water was fountaining up there initially and it wasn’t until I moved away a bit that I realised it must be a slith throwing it. Hovered the cursor all over, but nothing showed up; really strange.

D2 has no real modding abilities, that mods exist for it is despite the D2 base, not because of it.

As to supporting multiple mods at once, that is a double-edged sword. On the one hand the advantage obviously is that you can use multiple mods at once, but the downside is that if there is an overlap between mods, there will be conflicts (how severe will depend) and more often than not the user cannot really identify this, let alone resolve it.
By allowing just one mod to be active, this whole pitfall is avoided.

As to getting a Grimarillion mod without other masteries, I doubt this will happen but by deleting a few select files from the .arz you can disable a lot of features. You do not actually have to create a cleaned up version.

Bug report on Helltooth Harness Set, a Witchdoctor outfit:
Helltooth Mantle is part of the set, but does not integrate with the set. Also has a “Tag not found” in its description. see pix for clarification

Helltooth%20Mantle

This is an old item called Lyekurn’s Shoulderguard, it was replaced by this set shoulder piece. It needs to be removed from Grimarillion’s database.

this does not change anything I said. Multiple mods together can cause issues, players are not in a position to identify them, let alone fix them.

and that is where mods like Grimarillion come in, they combine several mods into one merge mod and resolve the conflicts between them, which players would struggle with

there has not been an ungrim version in a long time. You can doubt whatever you want, it’s your loss.

Remove the additional masteries from the player file, delete the loot table dbrs (which is maybe 10 files) and you are pretty close to your goal.

I’d say just remove the loot tables and simply do not select the other masteries.

Otherwise you also need to change the class selection screen, which is deleting another 5-10 files or so

It’s not a full clean removal, but it gets you 95% there for 1% of the effort :wink:

Appreciate it man, i’ll try it out later, no real loss anyway, i’ll play this mod fully eventually, after i taste the coffee itself, then maybe i can be sure how much sugar i need to add into it.

Just play modless if you just got into the game, there’s no reason to jump into mods already. The only “QOL” feature this mod has is an increased inventory and that’s hardly a necessity with the existence of GDStash or GDIA…

Deleted some of those long ass essay to save time for new players, diving into modding again right now, so much fun, so time consuming.

Expanding on Manba’s mention of D2 mods. Onyx who used to run Phrozen Keep, told me that if D2 had modding tool’s he’d have never tried to begin with. Half the fun was finding ways to modify the game. Essentially “hack” the game, and that word was always banned from use on the site to avoid lawsuits. They had an entire group of people, due to the game’s popularity, helping each other on their mods.

About merging mods. That’s true. Torchlight 2 had people continually trying to put in “Essentials” over the most popular mod who’s name I forget now, and there were conflicts. Despite supporting multiple mods, someone had to create another mod so they could be used together with no conflicts. Even with mods I could never get into TL2, it plays like a 20 dollar title. It IS a 20 dollar title! :smiley:

Concerning enemies spawning outside spawn points, I never saw it outside the final act in the game, but I’ve taken a break from this mod recently. Interesting to see that shot from act 1 with no Grim additions running.

The downside to that is that it drastically reduces the amount of people that will take a swing at “modding” the game since the barrier is even higher. Having mod tools is already a decently high barrier for most people - no “official” mod tools puts it on a whole nuther level. This limits the pool of people that are creating - which I will always believe is a bad thing for a game’s longevity. The only thing D2 has going for it in that area is it’s enduring popularity and the span of years of that popularity.

Nuthing against super nerds that want to be super nerds but modding is already nerdy enough without needing to be the nerdiest of the nerds just to get your foot in the door.

In other words, from where I sit I can’t say I’m impressed that super nerd wouldn’t have touched the game if it had mod tools because I’d rather think about all the people that would have gladly taken his spot if it did.

And keep in mind I’m speaking as someone that taught himself to program largely so I could make my own tools for GD. So I definitely “get it” - but I’ll never be convinced that needing to hack a game’s files wide open (brute force style) is “for the better” overall. It’s not. It was simply necessary and all the recipients were merely fortunate that a group of nerds took the task on.

I was very surprised when he told me this. I am glad GD has tools too, and I am glad that today the technology exists for more people to get into creating content without extreme abilities.

His comment is very arrogant and selfish isn’t it? :slight_smile:

Well, maybe slightly. It sounds he was speaking more from just the point-of-view of what “interested” him. Which is fair enough - and in the case of D2 it’s justified since, unfortunately, it’s the only way it’s going to be done.

Modders in general can often be a bit haughty about it - tho there are good and valid reasons for it. I probably came across a bit harsh myself above but mainly my point was simply that the bar for modding is already a bit high for the Average Joe as it is with accessible tools - but that also has a lot to do with the fact that modding is a fairly broad activity depending on what the modder wants to do. They can just tweak some values here and there or they can go full in and basically damned near make a whole new game.

We also obviously still need people of the caliber of those D2 guys - or we wouldn’t get stuff like Grim Internals, GrimTools, or GD Stash etc. Having decent tools for the job, meant for the job, tho makes it a little easier for noobs to take a swing at it and maybe discover they have a talent for it and go on to make something great one day everyone can benefit from.

Ah, and yes, it was a personal chat, he wasn’t spouting it to the world.

That’s SUPER cool! I actually didn’t know several of those were custom. (GD stash is obviously a mod).