"Retaliation damage added to attack" and life steal

eg. “Righteous Fervor” with 100% weapon damage and 12% “retaliation damage added to attack”. I know that “100% weapon damage” part can life steal, but will 12% “Retaliation damage added to attack” life steal as well or just counted as raw damage?

Thanks.

Yes.

Lifesteal scales with weapon damage up to 100% and applies to all the damage attached to that weapon damage, which also includes retal if you have any.

So for your fervor example, say you have 10% lifesteal, you lifesteal 10% of (100%WD+Flat damage on fervor+12%retal).

This applies only to attacks with weapon damage so something like Heart of Wrath won’t do any lifesteal.

Since when does life steal scale with weapon damage? It would needlessly punish low WD skills.
AFAIK life steal is always applied completely when weapon damage is involved and I can’t remember the game guide saying otherwise. Sadly its currently not available to check.

From the official GD wiki:

Percent of Attack Damage Converted to Health is a form of life steal available in Grim Dawn. It functions differently depending on whether you find it on equipment or on a skill. When on equipment, life steal applies only to your weapon attacks. If you use a skill with % Weapon Damage, that component of the skill benefit from the life steal.

When found on a skill, Percent of Attack Damage Converted to Health applies to all of that skill’s damage.

No trace of the word “scaling”

Since always.

It - like a few other effects - used to scale above 100% efficiency too, but that is no longer the case. It operates in between 1% and 100% Weapon Damage, and anything above 100% is capped down to 100%.

Same with flat RR on weapons, like the Plaguebearer’s affix, for instance. Also same with Reduced Target’s Damage on weapons, like with the Tyrant’s affix.

Edit:

This isn’t true which is why I don’t actually know the answer to OP’s question. RATA does not double dip through your % Weapon Damage.

The way I understand it, if as in your example you have 10% ADCTH and 100% Weapon Damage on a skill, that skill effectively then has 10% ADCTH ‘innate’ to it and you can leech from everything. The little snippet in the old game guide wasn’t entirely accurate because you could definitely get good healing on low-weapon-damage builds with high-damage spells, like AAR. So because ADCTH is added ‘innately’ and because RATA is effectively another ‘innate’ stat, it may still apply.

Wait what? I thought it works the same way as non weapon damages on a skill. Retal RF without much weapon damage definitely had good lifesteal unless it wasn’t lifesteal I was seeing.

Thanks for the reply. But… I don’t really feel that way…

Acid retal -> “Sentinel of the Three” set boosts “Counter strike” to be 23% weapon + 39% retal
Phys retal -> “Colossal Fortress” which makes “Counter Strike” to be 68% weapon + 19% retal

If your conclusion stays true, “23% weapon + 39% retal” >> “68% weapon + 19% retal” which means acid retal should have far better life steal? But it feels the opposite in real play… :open_mouth:

Thanks…
Sad to hear that life steal cannot scale above 100% now… When did it change? Any official source on that?
Can DOT still scale above 100% nowadays?

DoTs can scale above 100%.

The reason this weapon damage cap was introduced was because of a combination of two issues:

• Resist Reduction was scaling above 100%
  • Resist Reduction was affecting enemies’ resistance to Health Reduction

So players could get a good deal of RR on weapons, use Shadow Strike to multiply it by 5, and then deal 90%+ of a boss’s health per blade of Phantasmal Blades.

As to lifesteal, it changed in August 2015 with the B27 patch:

• % Attack Damage Converted to Health bonuses have been reduced, and in some cases removed/replaced, on all equipment. In addition, it no longer scales above 100% Weapon Damage on skills (ex. 20% life steal with 200% Weapon Damage would still be 20%, not scale up to 40%).
1 Like

Wow this is so pro!! :+1::+1: