Retaliation Damage Questions - New player

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions that either don't come up in game or I can't find and would really appreciate a more veteran players option and guidance. Im a warlord retaliation build if that helps answer any of these questions.
  1. How do you track your actual retaliation dmg in a real enviroment? My player sheet says I have (roughly) 28k retaliation dmg but I’m unsure how to measure its actual effectiveness other than letting enemies hit me and try to see the number itself. Are there any developer approved add-ons to track dmg in real-time?

2. When you have multiple types of Retaliation Damage, and you are hit; does the damage tick display a total or does all the separate types display individually? (in regards to the ‘show damage’ option in game)

3. If I assign a devotion spell that contains retaliation % increase to a spell like ‘Judgement’, does that only take effect while the spell is active or is it permanent like when attached to something that requires a toggle?

4. If you fully block a hit from an enemy, does it proc retaliation?

5. Finally, this is not a specific question but more of a general request for advice. In a retaliation build, what stats would you prioritize on gear? Do you find % to elemental more important than flat retaliation? Tips on min/maxing this type of build?

1 Like

GrimInterals is probably what you’re looking for.

Total is displayed.

That devotion buff bound to Judgment will only trigger when Judgment is used for the duration listed on the buff.

Yes.

While levelling, flat and % Retaliation damage are super important as you get very little past a certain point through your mastery buff/passive skills and devotion while a prime source has the biggest chunks come in later rather than earlier. Thus you want as much additional damage as possible, sets like Perdition or Dawnguard are great for this offering a lot during the mid-game.

As someone who has levelled a character from 1 to 100 with Retaliation, I would heavily recommend against it if you don’t have any twink sets like I mentioned above to provide boosts along the way or you really enjoy the tank playstyle and are patient. Without the boost you need, you’ll find yourself clearing crowds of enemies and Bosses slowly whilst being incredibly (perhaps even overly and unnecessarily) tanky in return.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this to the degree you did, really appreciate it.

1. Finally, this is not a specific question but more of a general request for advice. In a retaliation build, what stats would you prioritize on gear? Do you find % to elemental more important than flat retaliation? Tips on min/maxing this type of build?

I made a very strong RDATA (retaliation damage added to attack) character. I found it to have damage equal to a purely offensive focused character. It had very high defense. I killed all nemesis and celestial bosses with it in hardcore.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/62am6y32

Here is a template to peruse if you like.