Retaliation damage so far (April 3rd - 6th update)

So latest retaliation buffs affected quite a lot. I will be adding more builds later as I test them. If you have a retaliation build that you tested this iteration of the test patch, please do share your experience with it.

1) Lightning RtA Vines Archon

Current performance:

“naked” Crucible 4:17 run

SR 75-76 5:18 run (tough bosses)
Callagadra 1:21 kill

Build is clearly overperforming now. There is too much tank for this amount of damage (or vice versa). Chest, shoulders and helmet all rock 6% phys res, which is pretty nuts these days. At the same time full set is in a weird place because not having a shield is an inferior proposition for any Retaliation build.

Suggestions

• Remove 12% out of 18% phys res has. Compensate by giving set more speeds and maybe cdr in helmet slot
  • Reduce set’s flat retaliation bonus

2) Lightning RtA Aegis Archon

Current performance:

Build is performing really well in Crucible but is somewhat slow-ish in SR. To speed up you have to group up bosses which build can afford to do. Conduit nerf still hurts, but some blanket retal buffs helped a bit + I swapped Seal of Might for Seal of Skies (no point in Seal of Might anymore) so damage is almost the same as it was before.

I don’t have any suggestions for this one, I think it’s in a good place overall.

2 Likes

Tried Hellborne Paladin, it’s garbage. No sustain, dmg is meh.

No shield retal, if it’s panned to be supported at all, needs smth immensely more than it has now. Shield not only gives huge retal values and phys res in most cases, it unlocks the best be all survivability tool for retal.

RtA FoI is still bad and has no aoe, RtA eor is still meh dmg and very poor sustain.

The only non-shield retal that currently works is full Dawnguard. And it’s also overall worse than if you break the set with a pistol and a vines shield. And the set is probably in for a phys removal so it’s probably gonna stop working as well.

Also in general for RtA topic: Vines is the currently “RtA done right”. Good dmg in good area. Needs to be supported by more dmg types, needs Entangling ranks on more gear (also more direct Vines support would be nice cause it’s quite unique skill).

3 Likes

Also a little on a tangent but can Ikrix medal get Warlord and Sentinel prefixes as its in-bias? And other retal related MI’s? Direct dmg has its bias for types, why can’t retal have it?

briefly tried this one: Warder, Level 100 (GD 1.2.0.5) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator. tl;dr - so far it’s irredeemably bad.

2 SR runs go below. First - popped by mages as if I was an 11k HP 10% phys res build. second run - survived the mages but overall it’s very slow and boring and unsafe.

suggestions:

• drastically increase the RtA bonus for Savagery. it’s pretty ridiculous that just Fervor’s last node gives more RtA than the whole set bonus.
  • if the blue set is stripped off of phys res, add it to the shield and shoulders. also replace some of ele res and useless li res with acid, vit, aether/chaos ones.
  • give the build speeds, sth like 18-20% AS on the mace would be good.
  • add some means of sustaining. now despite all bells and whistles build feels sketchy and overall absolutely pointless compared to Aegis, Vines and other aoe skills.
2 Likes

Played DEE focused acid Sentinel with cd Aegis.

It is garbage and a laughing stock compared to aegis spam and vines. DEE tooltip is meh, area even with nonretal helmet doesnt clip nearby enemies, and it still leeches almost nothing. Cd aegis is quite nice, but spam DEE is still an eyebrow raising kind of terrible for both retal and unmoded direct dmg. Is that all Evil Dreeg can muster? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Oh, and the build runs out of mana.

Suggestions:

• Increase base area of DEE to 3m, reduce bonuses from 2 sets with area accordingly, reduce Dreeg set passthrough chance
  • Add WD to the base node scaling with rank up to 100% (needs for leech of both retal and direct version), reduce set bonuses accordingly
  • reduce energy cost
2 Likes

I stand corrected in RtA FoI. I was using the wrong class.

Purifier with buffed Blast Shield and Ulzuin’s Wrath feels amazing. This passive aoe and leech is just what the doctor ordered for low AoE retal builds, very good stuff. I was worried that i would be running out of eenergy but found the solution. It’s one of the few cases where you can actually solve energy regen sacrificing some dmg and tank.

Probably will test more retal builds with Ulzuin’s Wrath.

1 Like

Fire RtA S&B Shieldbreaker is fine. Somehow it’s faster than direct counterpart but less tanky.

2 Likes

tried the same retaliation warder.

runs are about 6 mins. good things - big melee hitters like Ben and Fabius melt in seconds. bad things - build still has very low damage against mages and resistant enemies and virtually zero AoE.
right now the build is still vastly inferior to retal Vines/Aegis and pretty much pointless. there are no points for any wps and no possibility to even take sth with RtA bonus to them.

what can be done? I actually dunno. the build is pretty much the same as it was in the very beginning of FG - melee enemies die fast, everything else is pure cancer. don’t see anything besides increasing RtA to Savagery further and maybe adding targets/arc to it.

1 Like

I also have a decent Dawnbreaker build as a Witchblade with Fevered rage : Witchblade, Level 100 (GD 1.2.0.5) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

It’s slow especially vs bosses that don’t hit you.
The best way to change something about it would be to add damage towards this type of ennemy.

I see 2 ways without buffing damage towards melee enemies :

1- If we could generate more threat and force thoses bosses to hit you in melee, if that’s possible.
Even if it was “50%” of the time they would hit you with a melee attack it would be great.

2 - The other way would be to make retal damage work vs ranged/spell attacks. (work at 50% to 100%)

Played Stoneguard Warlord. Performance is alright. It’s not very slow in SR and it tanks Calla and Ravager with leech potion and sunder dodge. It sometimes flops against multiple bosses unlike some of the more tanky retals because health regain is low and there is no cdr for Menhir.

One very annoying thing is Targo. These hammers are very weak for such a niche devotion based around huge block chance. For some reason too often when i’m bombarded with hits i see almost no hammers flying around. And when they do they deal very low dmg for phys dmg type. I don’t understand why the proc rate is so low with such a big chance on block.
As far as the set goes i just really want more attack speed for a set focused around attacking. Retal has no access to speed in devos and low access in items.

Suggestions:

• Add %total retal dmg to the belt and increase and increase %phys retal on the set a little more
  • Inccrease speed bonus on the mace
  • Increase rta on Targo to 25% and increase cooldown, increase chance to proc on block to 45%
2 Likes