Retaliation nerf to Aegis conduit still feels like too much

Builds that I tested: Sentinel, Level 100 (GD 1.2.0.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator and Archon, Level 100 (GD 1.2.0.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Encounter with resistant mage bosses last forever. SR 75-76 clear timer went up quite a bit due Conduit nerf AND Sunder increase making impossible to tank some of the boss combos more than in couples.

I suggest fully reverting the nerf.

Moreover I think retal damage in general needs help. Legendary retaliation sets haven’t been looked at in forever. If you play them like you are supposed to your damage numbers will be shockingly bad (except for Stoneguard that can still produce like mediocre single target damage output), like Dawnguard or trying to play Sentinel of the Three thru Vire’s Might (or what does even Witchblade suppose to do with it).

I’ve noticed that since 1.2 direct retaliation damage is working half of the time for me. Like melee bosses sometimes somehow don’t get hit by it. Or maybe it triggers less. All in all it feels much less effective for me, maybe someone had similiar (or opposite) experience?

3 Likes

Fisrt of all, I’m a super retal fan and I appreciate your effort of asking for retal buffs.

Second, personally I agree with fully reverting the nerf.

Then let’s get to the off-title things.

I, personally, played over 200 hours on retal builds since 1.2, but I’m not obviously feeling that.

Stoneguard WL is in a healthy condition, I’m satisfied with its damage at this moment, taking its tankiness into consideration.

Sentinel of the Three, it’s probably only used on Acid Aegis and some other just-for-fun builds (your and my acid RtA blitz). Playing acid RtA RF is kinda stupid, because once we meet Slazar, Aetherglare(don’t konw if I spell this right), the fight will have no end. Acid RtA blitz&Vire’s Might is funny without enough strength, leave it for fun and only for fun, I suggest.

Dawnseeker is used in some mixed fire&lightning retal builds, not in a full set form but 2-piece. Full-set Dawnseeker Warder is not too bad. It’s just not that fast but it’s still tanky.

Dawnguard is very good for lightning RtA Grasping Vines. You can also build a lightning RtA Grasping Vines+Aegis variety. Though they’re not as good as before, it’s Aegis Conduit’s and Bramblevine’s problem, not the set’s.

Despite some meaningless freak (RtA Callidor for example), personally I’m quite ok with retaliation now, as long as Zantai reverts those inexplicable retal changes (Crest of Winter Fortitude has been reverted. The other one is Chains of Anguish).

At last I’ll show you 2 examples built by me. They are good at dealling damage but not so tanky as traditional retal builds. I think it’s in some aspect fair.
Fire&Lighting RtA FoI Purifier:

5:29, 5:43, 5:07, 4:49, 5:08
Good damage. Low mobility. Moderate tankiness.

Fire&Lighting RtA BWC Pyromancer:

4:36, 4:50, 4:33
Very good damage. Low mobility. Mediocre tankiness.

1 Like

Fighting tooth and nail!

Last time I tried it it was okay. Good single target tankiness but overall pretty mid as far as melees go.

I know because full set is pretty bad in terms of speed.

We even had in our top20 along with Acid version. Kinda fell off unfortunately.

That one looks pretty strong on video

I did a Shieldbreaker like that, it was decent but still not top tier.

I’d like to know your Shieldbreaker please!

Pyromancer is another logic:
Though RtA Sigil of Comsuption is not of real high damage, it leeches a lot of health, covering BWC’s shortage of health recovery. This makes the build able to play in facetank style.

Do you remember what helped RtA Grasping Vine once make it top builds? 5% ADctH modifier on the shield. It’s the same logic here.

at the bottom of the first post. But I haven’t updated it in forever.

According to the latest Changelog Monitor March 20, Zantai seems not to listen our feedbacks on retal things at all. Aegis conduit is not dialed back. Neither was the retal penalty on Chains of Anguish. Sentinel of the Three set even got a slight nerf. I don’t know what’s the matter with him. I think we’ve provided enough evidence that these nerfs should not be there.

So I’m gonna ask one thing: @Zantai What are these nerfs BASED ON?

1 Like

Buff&nerf lottery draw.
Lmao. :rofl:

actual reply from Z on the discord btw
:grin:

Sentinel of the Three deserved a nerf. I am not sure not having retal penalty on chains won’t make them a bit too good for retal.

I agree that Conduit should be dialed back.

I’ve tested it on non-set Physical Retal WL, and result is that Chains of Anguish don’t grant extra damage benefit (v1.2.0.5, when the penalty is -25% retal damage rather than total retal damage modified by -25%). I sincerely invite you to read my topic there, watch my videos, and leave some comments, please.

Stoneguard is impossible because the set has already taken the belt place. I don’t think fire or lightning retal needs a test because there are M Sash of the Immortal Sage and M Ulzuin’s Torment, which you can see grant more damage at first sight. Acid retal may needs some tests, if Z thinks my existing tests are not enough to convince him. (Or maybe it’s just Z doesn’t want to admit that the penalty is wrong?)

1 Like