Retaliation Warlord - 100% block

Updated - max regen focus variant. Drops tramble i think it sucks until i get to test it on big bosses, i played with it for many hours now i tried to see if i could tell it was good but after this long its rarely i even get a chance to observe good use from it.

This opens the possibility for assassin mark from tramble points, but i instead go further into regen it gets quite good sitting on 700/s in town, 900+ with overguard and 2150+ with all procs. Getting up to 22k hp as well. Losing some OA. It was just so many super juicy points ripe for the picking in devotion tree. Also changed lots of components. Regen is the perfect companion for this 100/100 block build that hardly takes any damage - also i want the build balanced around things i canā€™t leech from.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/L2Jbzq42

I think i am getting there, done passes over adjustments enough i feel like unless i get some great idea there soon canā€™t be much improved on this version.

You just walk into stuff and the packs fall over and die after a few autos, either from that or just things happening, hammers flying etc.

I thought retaliation damage does not return to ranged attack?

It is not actual retal strikes it is all sorts of abilities firing, many of them scaling with retal damage.

Killing ranged itā€™s not a problem at all, actual play it works like if you had a cleaving ability - you walk over to packs start hitting and they just die.

I noticed this build has attribute allocation as 89 in Cunning? Is there a reason to take Cunning over Physique?

Also does retaliation have the ability to leech life? (ADCH)?

Thanks in advanced.

Iā€™m a huge fan of builds with very few active skills to juggle so Iā€™m curious how this build pans out for doing 100% of content for the game (ultimate, crucible, etc). Iā€™m currently doing a purifier which seems to be holding up well so far but I am aware they can get somewhat squishy later and require some kiting, although Iā€™ve also seen people say purifier is tanky? Not sure which is true :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, just how gear reliant is this while leveling? One nice thing for purifier is so far I can level off virtually any trash I find laying around as long as I keep pistols up to date.

I care for integrity of these forums as the place where the best GD builds are catalogued so - after a few attempts at a softer approach - Iā€™ll risk sounding a little harsh this time.

Op canā€™t really give you any meaningful advice for leveling as in one of his recent posts he admitted he still hadnā€™t done even that - I can think of no bigger disclaimer for a build thread. In the course of this thread op stubbornly ignored advice from more experienced players including Crateā€™s playtesters. He posted this with some seriously misinformed preconceptions about the game - most of which heā€™s still refusing to correct - before the launch of FG and learned very little since. So I suggest you stay tuned for a while longer and wait for a proper retal warlord.

Iā€™m 100% an advocate of everyone playing the game the way they want and saying what they want about it but I also reserve the right to react to it the way I want whenever someone goes public.

Updated, small efficiencies. Still considering if should life steal gloves component.

And dude, donā€™t make me bother more than this. Coming in here, discrediting me i eat you alive. This is mere childs play for me.

It doesnā€™t seem like you can tell the difference, you didnā€™t notice how much i payed attention to any posts in here and gave all arguments a chance, adapted to any(and many) true advice. You even noticed when i go against perfect efficiency i make an arguement for style preference and what i want char to be. There is only one meaningful thing i didnā€™t go into discussion about, and that was because it was not relevant to the practicality of the build so i just left it behind since it was literally irrelevant(cap on hit miss).

This alone should raise the markers youre dealing with someone paying a high degree of attention. You see to do what i did, i had to put my own presumptions aside so i could most quickly absorb what people knew.

As for your sore ass, i donā€™t need more than engage here a little to gather the information i needed to theorycraft proper, and here you are gettting sore i didnā€™t know it all already. Well i donā€™t care for your feelings there, i never claimed i am a grim dawn nolifer, in fact itā€™s a minor game to me i waited several expansions for this game to be ready to be played and it takes me all of a few days to catch up to you nubs in theorycrafting. Yet here you are acting hard. Really dude.

Petty whines against me. I am playing this character right now, hence small improvements here and there. I normally donā€™t give leveling advice because i do simpler guides. I donā€™t make guides for newbies, i make guides for people who are looking for good builds. I used to do big guides in games, now i donā€™t. Now i just drop gems.

Youā€™re free to react any way you want, but if it walks like aā€¦ talks like aā€¦ It probably is aā€¦ Hater. :smiley: Get rekt

You can level off any trash as well, although there are some low points around 45, 75 or so where gear makes it easy compared to actually need pay a bit attention. If resists are mostly updated nothing is really threatening. I am 81 atm i got a handful of good items and i feel right now itā€™s a bit slow as i reach the lowpoint before endgame upgrades. But i think iā€™m spoiled, slow here just means it doesnā€™t melt anymore and i have to fight a bit.

Perdition set at level 40 will carry you 20 levels easy.

Iā€™m playing a pretty similar build but Iā€™ve made some devotion changes. Iā€™m gearing to take on end-game content right now:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNklRdD2

Iā€™m pretty new to Grim Dawn but Iā€™ve played copious amounts of Path of Exile so Iā€™m used to thinking about how to combine multipliers to maximize damage. I opted to keep Assassinā€™s Mark because % Physical resistance reduction is rare (AFAIK) and stacks multiplicatively with the physical damage enemies receive. Iā€™m assuming it should be easy enough to proc with 2 guardians in single target situations.

Similarly I opted for Vire for the petrify interrupt and % Physical damage reduction which I couldnā€™t find anywhere else.

Skillbuild-wise I tried to maximize retaliation added to attack procs with a few 1 pointers. Iā€™m not sure if putting more points into the proc skills are worthwhile since the majority of your damage will come from retaliation.

Iā€™d appreciate it if someone more experienced let me know how I can improve the build or if my understanding about the game is wrong in certain places.

Hey,

If you want to go that route itā€™s some choices you can easily improve i think. For relic consider absolution. You need also more OA with build to effectively use assassin mark against bosses(currently with buffs/procs up you are on like 10.5% crit chance against most bosses, 4% with just ascension and 0% without anything up, iā€™d say 2-300 more and youre good. Clarity of purpose for ascension is really good here as well since assassinā€™s mark is such long duration and no cd.

For that iā€™d personally look at rings, shoulders, gloves and boots if there are any good ones to be replaced with rares maybe even. Also gloves with attack speed.

Iā€™m sure can be other things as well if someone notice something, possibly that vireā€™s devotion is a stretch and a waste to get. Seems you could get more offensive devotions maybe some oa etc, didnā€™t check it all out. I might also look into if it was worth it for you to use whole stoneguard set - maybe just amulets would be better for offensive build, depends if good choices for those slots.

Oh, you also didnā€™t chose completion bonus for relic :smiley: Also consecration for fervor is extremely strong for 1 point. Iā€™d also reconsider your shield component.

Just some initial reactions.

Hi, Khaop, ty for build!
Can i use Eye of Reckoning instead Righteous Fever or togheter?
Because Eye of Reckoning have a nice clear speed and damage and very fun, is this build will be still work with it?

Hi, I am afraid Eye of Reckoning lacks the key ability to add retaliation damage to the attack, so you will lose most of your attack damage. Maybe if there was some item/s that allowed you to do that but i havenā€™t checked that out.

Yea as it says in the OP, DA is intentionally low so monsters can hit you - thatā€™s why not getting physique. Also it gives me much needed OA. Not a single of these base items has OA on it.

Not sure about retaliation and life leech. I think someone may have said it would work, but i couldnā€™t say i know coz i havenā€™t tested it much as i havenā€™t been needing it.

So it finally came to happen that i got decent enough oa to run assassinā€™s mark, from a rare gloves thatā€™s crafted!

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/r2BAb0WN

Changes for this version includes

Slightly lower Health
Slightly lower Regen
Slightly lower Retaliation Damage
Slightly lower Movement Speed

Slightly greater Attack Speed
Slightly greater OA
Assassinā€™s Mark
Much greater Life Leech

I imagine in the future iā€™ll look to still get a bit more OA if it is possible to meaningfully squeeze it in. Currently this oa "works for the game, just it wonā€™t be good enough to debuff super bosses but whatever.

Old Build:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/Q2zOnGLV

this build seems to be not bad to level as, starting out as cadence and then switching to righteous fury once you get enough levels, im glad to see sets like dawnguard minus the 2 handed axe and gears like storm titan threads help on the leveling, even the petriodion set for acid retalation helped a lot on the leveling and that is one of the most common lv40 sets in the game.

with just dawnguard minus the weapon and lv75 storm titan it does 100k retalation in elite which is still a lot and 33k attacks, cannot wait to reach lv94 for the stoneguard set and adding more of the gear for more retalation. even archers melt to the counterstrike and once your reltation gets to about 100k you do about 10k normal hits attacks ontop of the counterstike hits.

only problem is like you stated lv30-40 before the petrion acid retaltion set and then before the dawnguard lv75 set. after lv75 this build no longer has to depend on retalation and can add that to his attack and kill reasonabily fast. The oa def is low though

On that updated Grimtools link, just how did you manage 990 Physique without putting any points into it? When trying out the build myself I only manage 883 Physique.

This build does 2 things at the same time that Iā€™ve wanted:retaliation and super high block chance.:D:D:p

This is my version: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/d2j9Da0N

Facetanked Ravager and killed that new superboss Callagadra, using his helm now. Doing SH farm runs at lvl 75-77 or 75-80. Can go higher but is it really worth it?

Ghoulish hunger, or at least that extra 4% life leech is must. Also i have different rings. Dawnshard pauldrons are nice because that extra 15% reduced targetā€™s damage. Iā€™m not sure about that assasinā€™s mark. I think i wonā€™t be able to crit with bosses, with over 3200 OA? so it is a wasted devotion? Also you can use Serrated Shell and use Brutal Shield Slam to proc shield wall or assasinā€™s mark. Then spec out aegis. But Mark of Myrmidon gives more retal damage.

Second attempt: https://imgur.com/a/ChH1C0S

what helm were you using before calla kill?

Mythical dawnshard gaze.